cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Resolving Host Issues

Kris_Blow

Resolving Host Issues

I'm looking for some fixes to sort out my weeks-old resolving host issues. It takes up to 6 minutes to connect to the server for a basic web page and I don't even bother connecting my mobile to the wifi anymore.

I've found a post elsewhere on this forum explaining how to update the DNS settings on your device to get around the problem, but this house is fully internet integrated and updating the settings on sixteen devices isn't a job I feel I should have to do.

I'm trying to update the DNS settings on the router directly, but I don't seem to be able to update the primary or secondary DNS settings on the supplied IP address. Can anyone point me in the right direction to be able to do this?

I've already got my router plugged into the micro filter directly into the test socket and I've changed wifi channels to the ones suggested on the phone.

Failing this, taking into account the problems I've had ever since switching to PlusNet, is there someone I can talk to about being released from my contract, as I'm not getting the service I've paid for.

5 REPLIES 5
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 405

Re: Resolving Host Issues

I'm trying to update the DNS settings on the router directly, but I don't seem to be able to update the primary or secondary DNS settings on the supplied IP address. Can anyone point me in the right direction to be able to do this?

if you're using the Plusnet supplied Hub One, then I'm afraid you cannot change the DNS servers on the router

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Kris_Blow

Hmmm, that's disappointing.

I've checked with my neighbours to see if they are having any issues and there are none to speak of. Once the wifi channel 11 test is over, it looks like I'll have to find a different ISP.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@Kris_Blow PlusNet don't insist on you using their routers, so you could source your own with the capability of changing DNS servers. A number of people on the forums have also used the BT Business Hub 5 and Smart Hub (obtainable on ebay) which do allow the DNS servers to be changed. Be careful though, it DOES need to be the Business version!.

Another option if you happen to have a spare Raspberry PI lying around, is to put PiHole on it, disable the DHCP server on the hub one, and use PiHole as the DHCP server, which will alow you to set the DNS servers.

Come to think of it, if you have anything on your network that's running 24/7 and capable of being a DHCP server , then the above will work.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Kris_Blow

Thanks MisterW - you're clearly a very knowledgeable chap!

Alas, no Raspberry PI sitting around and, due to expensive vet related reasons that I won't go into, no cash in the bank for buying up routers.

As someone who likes gadgets but isn't particularly au fait with the technical jargon and set-up, I'm not sure how well I'd fare at setting one up either. The only devices that run 24/7 are my Google Home Minis, which I doubt are capable of running as a DHCP server. Happy to be proved wrong though.

This does get me to thinking that this isn't exactly a plug and play system PlusNet have going on. Every ISP I have had has sent me a router that is fit for purpose, that I plug in and away we go. I dread to think how my dear grandad would cope.

Ironically, my web browser times out when looking for alternative ISPs, so it seems PlusNet gets me again!

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

This does get me to thinking that this isn't exactly a plug and play system PlusNet have going on.

@Kris_Blow but that's exactly what the PlsuNet router is, it auto configures when you plug it in and automatically gets the plusnet DNS servers (including the correct ones if you have Safeguard turned on). Not allowing you to change makes sure that support can know exactly how the router is configured. The only problem is that there seems to be a bug with the router DNS caching under some circumstances. Problem is it seems to be intermittent and so tracking down the bug is difficult.