cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random Ping Spikes on BQM's

mlmclaren
Grafter

Re: Random Ping Spikes on BQM's

Well my upstream has dropped by 33% and I've tested with various servers on speediest.net and also used TBB speediest too!
AndyH
Grafter

There's a difference between the upstream sync speed and the upstream throughput. Based on the screenshot posted before, your line is syncing at the highest speed.
Try the TBB speed test and post the result - make sure it's a wired test though.
mlmclaren
Grafter

I know the differences,
My upstream line profile is 20mbps according to BTw my Downstream line profile however has been reduced "very Recently" to 55mbps which I believe to be causing one of my issues (Bandwidth)
Below is the speediest you requested, unfortunately I wasn't logged into TBB website prior to this so previous tests have not be recorded but on this result you can see where the upload seems to drop half way through the test, also included is a test result from speediest.net that was recorded showing a successful test (full speed)

I also attached a BTw Diagnostics screenshot to this post showing the line profiles!
AndyH
Grafter

Are these tests wired/wireless/powerline?
mlmclaren
Grafter

Gigabit, Wired...
Same direct modem connection!
All the usual tests done!
mlmclaren
Grafter

I seem to be having issues with webpages taking a while to load or resolve
Uploading that BTw screenshot took the mickey
Can I point out that my Line IP profile has been changed in the last few days and it is lower than what I've achieved before so this I know is also affecting me but known will change it for me!
dnpark38
Rising Star

Mimclaren
"FTTC service are unattractive round here as many don't have the time or fancy their drives being ripped up to install ducting and cables."
Do not understand that all we noticed was a new cabinet next to the existing one about 2 or 3 metres away and the digging and new pavement between the two.
Your not expecting fibre to your home are you?
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/1476198475230638155-mini.png
AndyH
Grafter

The IP Profile is automatically set upon PPP discovery based on the current sync rate.
This is an automated process and it cannot be changed.
You didn't answer whether you're using wired/wireless or powerline?
mlmclaren
Grafter

Hi
Most of the properties in my area don't have BT Lines going to them, So those having a BT line for the first time have to have them routed to their properties underground as the area doesn't have telegraph poles, The same with the cabinet next to the old one has happened here too but the BT network doesn't go further than the street side around here.
Melancholie
Grafter

No-one can change it for you the IP profile is based on the sync rate. As your sync rate has dropped your IP profile has dropped to match.
The effects of crosstalk can be profound. As the first line on the cabinet I had attainable of close to 100Mb, downstream and 30Mb upstream. Both have dropped by 1/3rd.
As I understand it there are quite long-standing problems with Virgin Media and you have ensured these have had some publicity in the area so it's far from impossible that you aren't the only person who made the switch and other new customers have come online.
Your montage from line stats indicates a good line but with crosstalk present.
mlmclaren
Grafter

Quote from: AndyH

This is an automated process and it cannot be changed.
You didn't answer whether you're using wired/wireless or powerline?

This can be changed by Plusnet as I saw them do it on this very forum yesterday but they then said my issue was with sync but then I notice than my sync is 57 and my profile is restricting my connection to 55...
I did say Gigabit Wired!
AndyH
Grafter

Plusnet cannot change the sync speed or IP Profile - no one can change these.
What you're referring to is the Plusnet Line Speed, which is set based on the IP Profile. Sometimes there is a bit of a delay in Plusnet updating their Line Speed for your connection as they only receive the reports twice (if this is correct?) a day. There is no point in them increasing their Line Speed for your connection above the IP Profile as it will not make it go any quicker!
mlmclaren
Grafter

Well they did increase  it and your right it hasn't changed anything.
I have had a look at my BTw Diagnostics again and that has risen to 56mbps which is still below sync.
my Interleaving has a delay of 8 on both downstream and upstream.
So the only way to get my Line Profile & DLM reset is for an Openreach engineer to visit and do it from the cab, Is that correct?
AndyH
Grafter

The IP Profile will be always lower than the sync speed, as Chris pointed out.
At present, only Openreach can reset a line. Plusnet cannot raise a fault though and book an engineer:
Quote from: AndyH
As a guide, Plusnet can only raise it as a fault if:
- There is a line fault picked up on the GEA test (which does not seem to be the case here at the moment)
- The sync rate has dropped more than 25% over the previous 14 days

Resetting a line does not change its physical properties. You will end up in exactly the same position as you're in now.
Melancholie
Grafter

Quote from: mlmclaren
I have had a look at my BTw Diagnostics again and that has risen to 56mbps which is still below sync.

It's supposed to be below sync. If it's changed that indicates your line has resynched as IP profile is set on connection establishment.