Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet has forced me to take a new 24 month contract to obtain a repair

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Plusnet has forced me to take a new 24 month contract to obtain a repair

A further thought, I assume Plusnet got you to set up a PPPoE Dialler on your computer so you could connect the computer direct to the Modem and prove you had a stable connection - ie no fault in the Modem causing the 582n to reboot?
BEE
Dabbler

No, they didn't but I have no idea what you are talking about. Maybe that was a bit obvious to them!
The speed is great normally, particularly on WiFi. A test from another room on my mobile gives 37.42 / 6.92 which I guess is OK?
Anotherone
Champion

I notice you appear to be on a 40/10 product at the moment. Did they make it clear your new contract would be 40/10? Because if you don't have that in writing you could find you end upon 40/2 as they aren't "selling" the 40/10 at present (it is possible to retain it though by kicking up a fuss). If you don't have it in writing (email) then ring customer options tomorrow 0800-013-2632 if they are difficult, then cancel your new 24month contract under the 14 days rule and tell them very clearly you want to stay on your existing contract.
That PPPoE Dialler bit in red is a link to a Library article to tell you how to set one up.
How are you connecting at present?
Potaato

Firstly I have to disagree with the title of the OP. Plusnet CANNOT force anyone to "take a new 24 month contract", the decision whether to take this contract is entirely OP's decision albeit it may seem that Plusnet had forced his/her hand. OP could have simply purchased a different Modem Router and the TP_LINK TD W9980 isn't the only device available, also it is extremely simple to "Quick setup", I am at present using this model TD W9980.
Plusnet supplies/lends each new subscriber with a device to connect at cost of £6.99p P&P for the duration of the Contract. The Hub Zero (Sagemcom 2704n) which replaced the Technicolor TG582n is now out of stock. The current Hub One (BTHH5A rebranded) which replaced the Hub Zero will cost Customers £99 + £6.99 P&P to purchase. Note that BT is now offering their BT HomeHub 5B so they are off-loading the BTHH5A. As the BTHH5A uses similar chipset as the TP_LINK TD W9980, if any issue lies with the W9980, it may also occur with the Hub One.
I am here after searching for any TD W9980 issues as I am suffering gradual decreasing Max Rate (Kbps) Downstream and gradual decreasing SNR Margin (dB) Downstream, it deteriorate to a point when it disconnects and unable to recover without full reconfiguration of the Settings. This issue may or may not be due to the faulty Modem Router.
Plusnet Tech Support says there's nothing wrong with the Line, it seems likely to be a faulty device, TP_LINK Tech Support says the device cannot connect because of the line quality is not good enough, to avoid liabilites both parties blames each other.
I am not blaming anyone, just wishing to solve this issue and get on with my Life without these frequent disconnections every day.
At present I am waiting for the delivery of another Modem Router to determine whether it is the TP_LINK TD W9980 at fault or whether it is some System Upgrade/Devices Upgrade by BT/Plusnet which is causing this deteriation of the Line resulting in disconnection as the connection was perfect for 11 Months without any serious hiccups apart from one incident when a Plusnet Tech dropping my connection to a lower tier, apparently by accident so they explained on the phone.
Another option is the Billion BiPAC 8800NL (Broadcom Chipset) which is the price range of the TD W9980 (Lantiq Chipset), but the Billion is a little basic. There's an upgrade of this Model in Billion BiPAC 8800AXL but it is not yet readily available on the market.
Anotherone
Champion

Potato, you are forgetting that BEE has the BT Modem, so if it is definitely the 582n gone faulty, then they only need a router which can be obtained very cheaply depending on their home network needs, and I would also look at the 2nd hand market. But as I emphasised in my previous 2 posts, it would be advisable to check that the modem isn't causing the 582n to reboot. This could be done as previously suggested, or in fact borrow/use any other router. At this point, there is little reason to go to the expense of an approved vDSL compatible modem/router or be "forced" into a new 24month contract that could leave BEE with an inferior product. And just to be clear Plusnet do not force users to have their routers, you can use any router you like.
BrightonRock1
Grafter

Earlier BEE suggested that PlusNet sold him the router. Strictly, I don't think that is correct and in there lies the difficulty.  If a user had actually bought the router (and come to that the modem) from PlusNet then a user would be in a much stronger legal position to make PlusNet replace it. PlusNet say the router is free (plus postage & packing) so those legal protections probably don't apply.
It seems to me that the issue this thread has highlighted is that PlusNet are selling a service on a contract period - 18/24 months - that is longer than they are prepared to support the equipment delivered to provide that service. PlusNet may be able to sustain that position, although my view is that doing so is mistaken. And, as people have pointed out, there is a work around based on buying a router and/or modem although that is quite a step for many people and harder if their internet is down.
However, my point is that it would be useful - as the thread demonstrates - if the policy on equipment replacement were explicit from the start of a contract rather than coming as a nasty shock to the user come the day that hardware fails.
BEE
Dabbler

Yes, I do have a BT Openreach modem. Sorry but I don't understand the difference between a modem and a router (please don't bother to explain - I don't need to know at the moment) but it was a PlusNet techie that told me I needed a VDSL router so that's what I sourced. I think you are telling me that I don't need a VDSL router but that is what I was told by PN so forgive me for being in some confusion. I also wanted something fast (equivalent to the Hub 1 I guess) but not too expensive, hence my choice of the TP-Link unit.
You are right - I am strictly speaking not "forced" to sign up for 24 months - but what are the alternatives.  1 - to buy a router but I am not confident / competent to do that without expecting problems and I certainly wouldn't have enough knowledge to consider a second hand one.  2 - to struggle on with a faulty router.  3 - to lose quite a lot of money leaving PlusNet early and going with another provider or 4 - to sign up with PlusNet. Remember that they have refused to supply me with a replacement even if I pay for it!  Therefore, although I am not "forced" to sign up, it is the only logical conclusion for a dumbo like me. What else can I do except go with it and complain and that's what I am doing.
BEE
Dabbler

Quote from: Anotherone
I notice you appear to be on a 40/10 product at the moment.

I assume that the 40 / 10 is download / upload. Yes, that's right. I do send (and receive) business emails up to 25Mb at times so I don't want to reduce speeds. I wasn't told the speed would reduce in fact I was told that it was the same service as I currently have. I will call them, thank you for alerting me to that possibility.
My current price is the same as the new contract so there's no cost benefit either way until the end of March. When the contract ends in April, the price goes up by a fiver unless I sign up for a new contract but then I'll be free to consider all options. If the speed is going to go down, I'm starting to think I should do a bit of reading and try buying a new modem.
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Quote from: BEE
Sorry but I don't understand the difference between a modem and a router (please don't bother to explain - I don't need to know at the moment) but it was a PlusNet techie that told me I needed a VDSL router

Regrettably, you really do need to know the basic differences between a modem, a router and a modem-router - the latter being a single unit containing a modem and a router. Unfortunately, it is all too common for the term "router" to be used for a modem-router and "cable router" for a router.
A modem (modulator/demodulator) is required to allow data to be sent over copper circuits, a router "routes" data between devices, eg your computer, phone, network printer or the ISP gateway. As such, a VDSL router does not exist and the term is mis-leading, though a VDSL modem-router does.*
I was provided with a 2704n when taking PNTV, but only used for checking the service as I couldn't be bothered to fight it to disable DHCP and change the network settings. I now use the "plug and play" TP-Link W9980.
Phil
* This is a basic overview for the situation addressed in the thread and not a definitive explanation covering all variations.
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
BEE
Dabbler

Quote from: PeeGee
I now use the "plug and play" TP-Link W9980.

Thank you.
You use the TP-Link W9980 which was the one I picked out as being suitable before I saw another forum where people were saying that the plug and play did not operate with PlusNet and they had to tweak settings. Was that your experience? If it really is plug and play with PlusNet then that would be my best solution at a reasonable price.
libbyf
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

You should get the latest version of the firmware for the W9980, and then Plusnet will be available from a list of ISP settings for you to select.
Anotherone
Champion

Have you bought this TP-Link yet?
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Your modem will be connected between the telephone socket and your Plusnet router - it will almost certainly be marked (BT Openreach), as long as the DSL light on the modem is staying on then you can still use this modem with a basic 'cable router' - the type you can buy in most high streets for a small price depending on spec (example here (not a recommendation of product or retailer) of something perfectly suitable to replace the Plusnet box.
VDSL routers (that include the VDSL modem and replace both your existing boxes) are generally a fair bit more expensive at the moment but some people prefer the 'single box' option, the W9980 is a reasonable example of this type.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
adagio
Grafter

Quote from: Anotherone
A further thought, I assume Plusnet got you to set up a PPPoE Dialler on your computer so you could connect the computer direct to the Modem

If you managed that you will have no problem setting up a new router.
BEE
Dabbler

Well, after spending many hours on the phone to PN, I found that:

• A router will not be repaired nor renewed after the 12 month warranty period even though they agree that there is nothing known in their T&C that says this.

• I was offered a free replacement router but only if I took out a 12 month contract. That was withdrawn when they realised I was on fibre which is not available on a 12 month contract so 24 months applies.

• I was eventually offered a router to pay for (£100 for a Hub One)

• I asked about the upload speed and was told that it was capped at 2Mps. After talking to another agent for a long time, he found that it is not restricted and that has been confirmed in writing.

I am totally fed up with the waste of time and the inconsistent advice from PN so I am going ahead with the new contract but, if the modem goes wrong after 12 months, I think I'll be on my own again!
Many thanks for your help and advice.
BEE

The