Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Hub One crashes each day in the evening but stable during the daytime

Fred_Scuttle
Hooked

Plusnet Hub One crashes each day in the evening but stable during the daytime

Hi,

I’m looking for suggestions/advice/ideas with the current issue I have. I’ll provide details below.

• I upgraded from Plusnet standard broadband to Plusnet fibre broadband late April early May 2020
  • Ever since upgrading the broadband to a faster fibre package the Plusnet Hub One router crashes almost each day
  • I’ve been working from home since mid-March and I don’t remember the router crashing at all during the working day. In March/April I would have been on the standard broadband package and even now with the fibre connection there are no issues during daytime
  • The router crashes in the evening (18:00hrs +) but not at set times
  • If we watch our Sony Smart TV with WiFi connection, 9 times out of 10 the router will crash at least twice during an hour
  • Sometime last week we were out of the house and returned at about 10:30pm. I checked Wikipedia on my android mobile phone using WiFi and the router crashed
  • On Sunday evening I was sending an email to the neighbours from my laptop with WiFi connection and the router crashed
  • Last night I noticed that my phone required me to sign into WiFi which always happens when the router crashes. I don’t believe we were using the internet in the evening

What do I do? I’ve read about the Hub One router having issues. I’ve also had a BT engineer visit the other day who told me the line to house was ok. He reset the signal to noise ratio (it was 18db before and now it’s 12db) and the speed has improved (from 30Mbps to 36Mbps). However, the evening of his visit the router crashed. His suspicions are that there are problems with the router or BT phone line internal wiring in the house but these are only suspicions. However, if that is the case why is the broadband stable during the daytime? My other half watches YouTube, uses Zoom conferencing, etc. during the daytime. If anything, the broadband is used more in the working day than in the evenings. There are no crashes when microwave appliances, etc. are being operated.

4 REPLIES 4
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Plusnet Hub One crashes each day in the evening but stable during the daytime

Hi there, 

I'm sorry to see that this is still an issue for you. 

I've just been running some tests and we're not seeing any issues with the line or broadband connection being flagged up but we are seeing that the connection is dropping frequently so it would make sense to look at another engineer visit next. 

Before we get into that I can see we have recently provided a new router so I just wanted to check that's what you're using at the moment first. 

Also without wishing to come across as being pedantic or picky I just wanted to double check what you mean by the router crashing, by that do you mean it's dropping the connection or is it becoming non responsive or losing power maybe?

Adam

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Fred_Scuttle
Hooked

Re: Plusnet Hub One crashes each day in the evening but stable during the daytime

The router dropped a connection (orange flashing light) twice yesterday evening while were were watching BBC iPlayer. This time I looked at the Event Log and noticed each time it crashed "PPP LCP Send Termination Request [User request]" was recorded. My experience looks identical to the errors reported in this link.

https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Hub-One-keeps-disconnecting-with-PPP-LCP-Send-Terminat...

I am using the Plusnet Hub One that was provided to me.

kankali
Grafter

I recall seeing this issue on a BT Hub 5. From recollection it sometimes happened to people after a Software Update.

Solution was to back up your config, reset the hub to factory defaults, then reload your config.

The also used to be a bug on the hubs that uploading large files would cause them to crash!

Regards

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Thanks very much, 

Could you send me a PM (there's a link if you click on my forum username) confirming the serial number on your router as I'd like to check which firmware version the router has and upgrade that if possible. 

If that doesn't help there's other options I'll follow up on with you. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team