cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ping Increased and Upload Speed Dropped

DangerDonna
Dabbler

Ping Increased and Upload Speed Dropped

Recently I’ve noticed the ping on my PlusNet fibre connection has dropped from 14 to 24 even on wired connection and the upload speed has dropped from around 19 mbps to 13-14 mbps. There’s no change in my setup or connections so just wondering why this has occurred. It’s not temporary as it’s been like this for a few weeks now.
8 REPLIES 8
adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Re: Ping Increased and Upload Speed Dropped

Good morning @DangerDonna

Thanks for reaching out. While we can't offer much support on ping times - as these can be affected by factors outside of our domain e.g. the servers you're connecting to, an RRT has shown that both your download and upload speed dropped on 06/06/2021, and has remained consistent ever since. Looking back, have you made any changes to your set up?

It might be worth connecting directly to the test socket which lies behind the face plate of your master socket, run a wired speed test and see how you get on. If you can, avoid using any extension cables / sockets while testing.

In terms of the DLM profile, everything appears to be correct and there are no faults on the line itself. However it appears that interleaving has been turned on to preserve the stability of your line, I am able to turn this off at your direction to see whether this improves your connection?

DLM Profile - Downstream: 0.128M-80M with no error protection. Upstream: 0.128M-20M with InterleavingOn

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
DangerDonna
Dabbler

Thanks if you could try turning interleaving off I can see if that fixes it. Nothing has changed so can’t understand why the difference. The router is plugged directly into the socket with no extensions
adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks a lot for getting back to me @DangerDonna

No problem, I've now made an adjustment to the DLM profile on the line, and have set interleaving to Off. This should around 1 working day to complete, so keep an eye on your connection and let us know how it fairs over the next week or so.

Adam
DangerDonna
Dabbler

Thanks. Will keep an eye on it. Just fitted a new 5C Master Socket with built in filter as the old socket was c1980s!
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@adam945 Is this something new that ISPs can do, I always thought that there was no manual control of interleaving on FTTC services, it's all controlled by the DLM system.🤔

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

My apologies @DangerDonna and @RealAleMadrid 

You're 100% correct, with FTTC services, we're unable to make any manual changes to the DLM settings on the line. I've conferred with my colleague, and we've ran some further tests on your line.

Our tests show no definitive faults on the line, and there are no visible upstream / downstream errors, though a visual radius does show a few disconnections on the line, hence DLM may have intervened to preserve the stability of the line.

Going forward, if you can refer back to my previous message where I advised you to connect into the test socket, leave it plugged in for a few days and see how you get on. further info on how to do this can be found here:

I'd also ask you to avoid resetting your router, if you are doing, as this can sometimes trick DLM into assuming that there may be an issue on the line, causing upstream interleaving to be turned on. if you continue to have the same issues after leaving your router plugged into the test socket, let us know and we'll be happy to investigate further. Apologies for the misinformation on my previous post.

KBD
GEA Test Detail
Circuit ID NA Service ID  

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 60.2 Mbps
Upstream Speed 14.8 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 401.1
Upstream Rate Assessment Low
Downstream Rate Assessment Low
Interference Pattern Regular Interference Observed Daily
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Interference Duration Longest Occurrence From06:00to05:00
Interference Location Other
Interference Observed In Days 0
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream traffic detected
Technology VDSL
DP Type External
Profile Name 0.128M-80M Downstream, Error Protection Off - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Interleaving On
Time Stamp 2021-06-17T15:15:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 59.9 Mbps 60.3 Mbps 60.1 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 14.8 Mbps 15.3 Mbps 15.1 Mbps
Up Time 712.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 899.7 Sec
Retrains 0.0 1.0 0.0
Current and Last 15 Minute Bin Performance
Parameters Last Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins) Current Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins)
Start Time Stamp 2021-06-30T14:46:33.584+01:00 2021-06-30T15:01:33.584+01:00
Ingress Code Violation 0 0
Egress Code Violation 0 0
Errored Seconds 0 0
Severely Errored Seconds 0 0
Unavailable Seconds 0 0

Adam
DangerDonna
Dabbler

I’ve had to restart the router a few times due to issues with WiFi, mainly 5GHz band (which I reported in another thread and a new firmware was sent to my router). This does appear to have resolved the WiFi drop out issues. I’ll keep my eye on things now I’ve got the new master socket too and will report back.
adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Fair enough @DangerDonna that probably explains the occasional drop out. If your upstream speed does not improve over the next week or so, let us know Smiley

Adam