Did you mean: 

Openreach modem dsl light off

FIXED
longslow
Dabbler
Fixes: 2

Openreach modem dsl light off

Hello,

After the lightning storm in our area a week ago internet went down (phone line still working)

I was away but today a Openreach guy came and after many test decided to replace the openreach modem.

His test showed that the internet signal is coming in the house so it must have been the box.

Even with a new box it the DSL light would still stay down.

Eventually we decided to plug the Plusnet router directly to the DSL line and it started working.

From there the openreach said there is not much more he can do since the signal is coming to the house.

Plusnet tells me that they don't really support that openreach modem since their router has an integrated modem and it works when plugged in directly.

So for each company it is problem solved! Except for me Sad

I have had that configuration for the last 4 years and never had an issue. I can't really keep that plusnet router where it is now because the wifi doesn't cover most of the house when it is there.

Until then I had the openreach modem connected to the dsl and had a ethernet cable going from the lan port of the modem to the wan port of the Plusnet router allowing me to put it in a more central place.

Does anyone has any idea why the DSL light won't come up on the openreach modem but will work is connected straight into the plusnet router?

11 REPLIES 11
Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

Re: Openreach modem dsl light off

@longslow 

I'd put money on the lightning strike killing the modern. You can pick one up from auction sites such as Ebay very cheaply. Go for a Huawei model 3B HG612.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

longslow
Dabbler

@Baldrick1 , the openreach engineer thought the same and replaced it with a new one but it didn't help. The model is MT992

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

The MT992 is a G Fast modem, so not surprised it did not work.

You need the VDSL one @Baldrick1  has mentioned.

longslow
Dabbler

Ok. I can't say I know what I had before the guy replaced it but it certainly looks very similar and use to work.

Why would it not work with that specific modem?

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

G Fast is a different protocol that is used to provide speeds up to 300Mbps and is not a service provided bt PN

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 396

I would have thought that a G.Fast modem would still be compatible with VDSL.

This https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=24240.0 seems to confirm that the MT992 does work with VDSL

According to this https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2017/09/bt-sets-specific-technical-requirements-g-fast-broadba... BT's SIN520 requirement R.FAST.6 stipulates compatibilty with VDSL2

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

longslow
Dabbler

So it should work but it doesn't Sad
I don't really want to buy more HW if it turns out it doesn't work either.

Plusnet and Openreach don't seem to think it is a problem on their side and I am stuck with 3/4 of my house not properly covered with WIFI.

I was thinking of converting the plusnet router to a bridge but that is not possible either from the reading I have done on this forum

Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

@longslow 

You can switch the Hub One wireless.off and fit a wireless access point where you originally had the hub. You can  use the same cable only use a yellow Hub LAN socket, not the red WAN one.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Plusnet and Openreach don't seem to think it is a problem on their side

In fairness, if the PN supplied Hub One works, then it isn't. BT haven't supplied/replaced the original VDSL modem since about 2016, hence PN supply the Hub One for FTTC.

I'm sort of surprised that the OR engineer had an MT992, I thought the Smart Hub 2 was being used for G.Fast.

Anyway, assuming it's not faulty the MT992 ought to work. I guess it MIGHT take longer to establish sync on a VDSL line but it should succeed...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

longslow
Dabbler

Fix

@Baldrick1 : Yes that would be a good option.

@MisterW : yes I understand that and that is why I have not insisted that either of them fix my problem. As you say Plusnet is supplying a router and it works. Openreach is also providing the internet to the house so I guess that is their job done.

Just weird that it doesn't work anymore. But....

I have found a solution. I remembered that I had an old TalkTalk router gathering (Dlinl DSL 3872). I connected it and it turns out that you can set that box to be a bidge modem.

I have now replaced the OpenReach box with it and all is working as it was.

Thanks to all of three of you for your help.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Glad you found a solution.