Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odd TBB test ?

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Re: Odd TBB test ?

TWO WEEKS !!!!! yes 2 weeks ago i started this thread to see if any PN staff had any suggestions .

But in the last 2 weeks it looks like it has become  more widespread than first thought .

What has been PN response ??  One post by BobPullan saying they cant replicate this ????Huh

PN this is not doing us proud !!

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I've just been talking to someone about this and it doesn't appear to be just Plusnet customers seeing this as reported here: http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/bt/4520224-single-thread-tbb-test-very-slow-6x-ok.html?vc=1

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero

@Chris there is also this http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/plusnet/4519937-single-thread-speed-issues.html?vc=1

Which is PN Huh

MrSilver
Pro
Fixes: 9

@rongtw Im not convinced that gateway switching improves things. THere are quite a few examples even in this thread that works fine and then 10 minutes later totally broken then fine again. I think its a co-incidence that some jump gateways and then it works on the new gateway, and it may well have carried on working fine if they had moved.

The other reason for thinking this is it is not just people on the BNG gateways (static IPs) that are having this problem, so there is part of BT's / Plusnet network that is shared for both BNG and non-BNG customers that is causing us some issues. If it was a broekn BNG that hopping solved then all non static IP peeps would be fine - some are some aren't. 

It seems more related to fibre customers, in the broadband forums there are some complaints of my speed went from 3 to 2.5mb etc but most of the issues seems in here.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero

@MrSilver But PN staff Chris is hinting that its not just PN with the problem Huh i thought this NEW network was not a shared network Huh  its PN dedicated

Budget ISP PlusNet has quietly begun swapping from a ‘Shared’ to ‘Dedicated’ Wholesale Broadband Managed Connect (WBMC) platform via BTWholesale, which is a logical choice given their growing customer base and should afford them more direct control over network capacity / infrastructure

From ISP preview

SteveA
Pro
Fixes: 3

I've seen it on two different gateways - same behaviour on both..... single thread fine then nothing and then fine again all within a couple of minutes.

I think that's part of the problem ... if it was continuously bad then it would be easy/easier to investigate but as its so transitory (sometimes only lasting a few seconds) its hard to actually work out what is the problem. As it affects many people using various bits of comms kit it certainly points to something in the new PN/BT infrastructure...  I never saw this problem on the old hardware.

MrSilver
Pro

@rongtw wrote:

@MrSilver But PN staff Chris is hinting that its not just PN with the problem Huh i thought this NEW network was not a shared network Huh  its PN dedicated

Budget ISP PlusNet has quietly begun swapping from a ‘Shared’ to ‘Dedicated’ Wholesale Broadband Managed Connect (WBMC) platform via BTWholesale, which is a logical choice given their growing customer base and should afford them more direct control over network capacity / infrastructure

From ISP preview

I think that is partly a terminology thing. Plusnet havnt build their own end to end network.

They still use Openreach copper, VDSL cabs in the street to the exchange. 

They then use BT Wholesales WBC product

On top of that they then use WBMC dedicated which tunnels all their traffic down IP routes (hence more hops on the non BNG gateway people).

This is from kitz (http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/wbc_wbmc.htm#WBC_WBMC_dedicated_shared)

• WBC is when the ISP connects via their own or third party network from each of the core locations.
  • Dedicated WBMC uses BTw's core 21CN network to transport traffic from each of the core locations to the ISP's location(s) of choice. This still allows the ISP to have control of bandwidth traffic at the regional core locations.
  • Shared WBMC is when BTw manage bandwidth between multiple ISPs over the whole 21CN network presenting the ISP with a single host link.

So Plusnets new dedicated network dedicates them capacity over BTs 21CN network. On Shared you have "WBMC Shared will present L2TP tunnels from WBC into the CP’s network to the tunnel end point as specified by.." so a single link is used and l2tp tunnels segregate, hence the shared nature of it. 

If you are really bored (and I dont recommend it!) http://www.btplc.com/sinet/sins/pdf/471v3p6.pdf has all the info and some nice pics in it.

Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

@MrSilver wrote:

@rongtw Im not convinced that gateway switching improves things. THere are quite a few examples even in this thread that works fine and then 10 minutes later totally broken then fine again. I think its a co-incidence that some jump gateways and then it works on the new gateway, and it may well have carried on working fine if they had moved.

I don't think you can draw that conclusion.

f636bcac76b1a3327e5afd208a8cf632-13-12-2016

The continuous low grade packet loss was new and started two days before after a break. I hadn't actually noticed it and only saw it because I was replacing my router. The big red bar is when I unplugged my router and tried to get a new router working. I eventually succeeded but look at the latency! And the awful packet loss. So I bounced the new router (the modem is separate and remained connected throughout). Notice the lower latency and lack of packet loss.

Fast forward to today and:
b035bf87f7ef801ee05c6452e8f861e2-19-12-2016

And pretty much clear as a bell again.

MrSilver
Pro

@Andrue wrote:

@MrSilver wrote:

I don't think you can draw that conclusion.

The continuous low grade packet loss was new and started two days before after a break. I hadn't actually noticed it and only saw it because I was replacing my router. The big red bar is when I unplugged my router and tried to get a new router working. I eventually succeeded but look at the latency! And the awful packet loss..

There may be other reasons for jumping gateways, but this was specifically about some people getting x1 slow perfomance and x6 much higher performance. Pretty much everyone in this thread that has that issues has said latency and packet loss is not an issue. 

So yes, some of the gateways may have packetloss, not disputing that! What I was pointing out was jumping gateways isnt likely to be the thing solving the x1/x6 issues as people can stay on the same gateway and have the problem and fix itself without jumping, so there is a problem somewhere just for this threads issues gateway jumping I dont think it the answer.

Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

Perhaps I should have been more clear. It was the truly awful single threaded result I got with my new router that made me take a look at my TBBQM. I think it was struggling to get above 1Mb/s. A gateway hop fixed it and it's been fine since then.

https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/What-s-with-all-the-packet-loss/m-p/1395275#U1395275

Granted it's not absolutely proof but in my case I can say that changing gateways resolved a problem with single-threaded download speeds and the effect has (so far) lasted nearly a week.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero

I have been just reading the thread on TBB forum Undecided  Mr safron post

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/plusnet/4519937-single-thread-speed-issues.html?fpart=4#Post4521837

davenos
Rising Star

Just to rule out it being an issue with the TBB tester i've just run the x1 test from beta.speedtest.net and here are the results(1.04mbps Download and 4.99mbps upload).

http://beta.speedtest.net/result/5893879101

Is everyone that is seeing this issue showing as a BT IP address on the speedtest sites?

MrSilver
Pro

rongtw
Seasoned Hero

Speedtest.net only test one so it cant compare to the TBB , constantly shows mine arount 72 DL 17up

you dont see the problem untill you use the custom test from TBB

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html?id=1482171915543384155

davenos
Rising Star

@rongtw I thought the beta.speedtest site was a x1 test via HTML5 as it reports the same/similar speeds as the TBB x1 test, the main speedtest site reports full speed for me the same as the x6 TBB test (occasionally it will also drop to as low as 4.5mbps on the x6 test).