cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not getting minimum speed.

rbellamy420
Grafter

Not getting minimum speed.

I recently switched to fibre broadband, the switchover date was yesterday and I'm getting less than the minimum speed. I was just wondering, I know when you first start getting broadband, there's a 'settling' period of about 10 days or say, is this the same when you upgrade? Thanks
32 REPLIES 32
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

Re: Not getting minimum speed.

Welcome to the forums, @rbellamy420 . Did you merely switch from a Plusnet ADSL connection or did you change suppliers as well?

As an initial check, can you post a screenshot of the 'Help Desk' tab on your router?

John
rbellamy420
Grafter

Hi, I was a customer already, getting around 36mbs download but then I got an email with an offer to upgrade to unlimited fibre extra with guaranteed speeds of around 63-66mbs. The highest I've hit so far is around 50mbs download through the WiFi and around 41mbs on ethernet when going through my playstation.
rbellamy420
Grafter

Help Desk.png

jab1
Legend

OK , so one of my ideas is out of the window.

It would still be good to see your Help Desk information - might give us a clue.

Speeds via Wi-Fi will always be a little lower, but I am confused here - you are getting more via Wi-Fi than via a wired connection?

John
rbellamy420
Grafter

Yeah sorry I was using my phone for this but couldn't for the life of me work out how to upload of screen shot so I've had to go on my pc, it should have uploaded now
jab1
Legend

Can you please run this test BTW Performance Tester by both a wireless and wired connection, including the 'Advanced Diagnostics' - if it will complete, and post screenshots?

Are you leaving the router connected permanently - it is showing a very low up-time?

John
rbellamy420
Grafter

EthernetEthernetWifiWifi

rbellamy420
Grafter

Hi, I'm keeping the router switched on at all times

jab1
Legend

Thanks for those details - there is definitely something strange going off here, but it needs PN Help Team intervention. If you are leaving the router on all the time, with that stats as showing on your Help Desk screenshot, there appears to be problems somewhere (possibly) in the BT network, which will be affecting your speeds.

Sorry I can't really be of further help, but this will get picked up by PN staff.

John
rbellamy420
Grafter

No that's brilliant I'm grateful for the help. I'm not great with stuff like this. Thank you
RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Hi
50 Mbps is about the maximum throughput speed for a line synching at 57 Mbps.
57 Mbps is reported as the data rate in message 4.
As the synch speed is below the Plusnet guranteed speed, you would need to follow the faults process at:
https://faults.plus.net
Regards
Richard
rbellamy420
Grafter

Thank you, I've done now. Hopefully I'll get somewhere.
adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Hi @rbellamy420

Thanks a lot for reaching out and I'm really sorry to hear that you're having problems with your line speed. I've just had a look into the line and can indeed see that it's syncing well below your Minimum Guaranteed Speed at the moment.

The order to upgrade your broadband did complete yesterday, but the profile on the line appears to be stuck. I'm made a quick note of the account on my end and will review it again on Sunday to see if it's budged. If not, I'll raise a DLM reset request to get this sorted.

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
rbellamy420
Grafter

That's great, thank you so much