cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Fibre connection? No word from Plusnet?

RalphAverbuch
Dabbler

Re: No Fibre connection? No word from Plusnet?

Gregg, I take it you've been through this wringer then? I know it's down to BT Openreach pulling the finger out. But i know what you're saying.

I was originally promised FTTC would be available in our area back in February 2015. It didn't arrive until February 2016 and my line only became available for service a couple of weeks back.

On the positive side though, the DSL2+ I've been on in the meantime (with Plusnet) has been way better than the old ADSLMax.

R

Gregg
Grafter

Two weeks is pretty good. When I joined BT when they were first rolling out Fiber it took a whole 3 months before it was connected, however once it was connected it was a stable 80/20 for 2 years.

If your house has never had fiber before. plusnet will simply move you over and play dumb. Then when it doesn't work they will blame your network and cabling and then send an engineer who will try fix it and it might work if you lucky.

RalphAverbuch
Dabbler

In my case the line being used for FTTC is fairly new. It was only put in in 2003. New copper, new line. Hopefully, all other things being equal, the fact the wiring isn't ancient will help matters!

Cheers

R

RalphAverbuch
Dabbler

I think i did speak too soon. Now have two engineers scratching their heads outside my home and struggling to work out what goes where and who did what when... Doesn't leave me with a great deal of confidence as they seem no more confident about what's going on than I do!!!

#CrossingFingers

R

RalphAverbuch
Dabbler

FAO Harry

I had a BT Openreach engineer working on my local FTTC enabled cabinet this afternoon.

He's as near 100% certain as he can be that, despite what the databases are telling him (and me see BT's dslchecker result below) in reality the work to connect my phone line through my nearby FTTC cabinet has not actually been done.

He said that the most likely explanation is that targets needs to be met and this has been marked ahead of time as completed... but it's yet to be done on the ground.

For his part he said he'd mention it to the sub-contractor meant to have completed the work, but it would be helpful if Plusnet could chase this from their end too.

So, I'm guessing that the revised date of the 5th October for FTTC service will likely not happen...

Ultimately I can sit and stew for a bit longer. I've been waiting for over a year. Provided my DSL service doesn't get switched off prematurely I'll live with the situation.

P.S. Please don't charge me for the fibre service until it's actually in operation...

Ralph

Capture.JPG

Save

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Hi Ralph,

Sorry this has become a bit longer than expected. I've just checked and can only echo what's been said on the ticket, a the moment we're due an update tomorrow as Openreach have requested a multi-skilled engineer to figure out this order.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
RalphAverbuch
Dabbler

Hi Chris

Thanks for taking the time to respond. Appreciated.

It very much looks like a BT Openreach sub-contractor is playing fast and loose with the meaning of 'job done'. It's pretty clear that the line is, in reality, still to be connected for FTTC. As I said earlier, provided I have some form of internet service in the meantime (via my existing plusnet DSL service on the other phone line) then I can bide my time until the contractor actually gets the work needed done Smiley

Cheers

Ralph

RalphAverbuch
Dabbler

Any progress on this today?

I'm pretty sure today was the revised day for FTTC service ot begin after the false start on the 28th of September. Since the 28th though, I've learned that the work that BT Openreach thinks has been done by a sub-contractor to link up my line to the local FTTC enabled cabinet, at least a few days ago, had still to be completed... though the online checks imply it's already happened. It hasn't (or had not up until a few days ago when a local BT Openreach engineer was at my nearby FTTC cabinet).

Anyway, maybe there's been a flurry of activity unknown to me in the last 72 hours and it's good to go... Is it?

Cheers

Ralph

RalphAverbuch
Dabbler

I'm now being told by Plusnet that I have FTTC. I really do not...

Member centre post:

Sorry. Clearly my previous comment was NOT READ.

To reiterate, I have no signal at all coming into the building because, despite what the databases proclaim, the actual work of connecting my Exchange Only line to my local FTTC cabinet has not been carried out - that was according to a BT Openreach engineer I spoke with at my cabinet some 50 metres from my front door.

Can someone please CHASE BT Openreach, so they in turn will chase their sub-contractor and hopefully give them an ear-bashing for telling porky pies in order to meet targets.

To confirm this, I have just re-checked the line meant to be delivering FTTC using the supplied Plusnet router. After switching on the B flashes red after a couple of minutes with the strip above in solid orange. Meanwhile, as a phone line it's working fine so it's functioning and it is not a technical error on my part.

cheers

Ralph

P.S. As emphasised before, I absolutely do not want my DSL2+ service discontinued on my other landline until AFTER it has been technically demonstrated that the FTTC connection has been made and is operational. Meantime I do not want to be charged until after the FTTC service is up and actually running.

This is getting silly.

Sad

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

@RalphAverbuch wrote:

I'm now being told by Plusnet that I have FTTC. I really do not...

We have advised your order completed, as the order has completed.

I'm sorry to hear it's still not working and I'm really disappointed to see the response given on the ticket on your account.

Instead of calling, as advised on the ticket. Please can you report a fault at http://faults.plus.net and let me know once you've done this. Thanks.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
RalphAverbuch
Dabbler

Hi Harry

Doing it now. Just re-checked the FTTC bit of the line and, as I fully expected, the router turned solid orange on the led after a few minutes and the 'b' is flashing red. Meanwhile the phone part is A OK, so there's no question the line is working from the exchange to the home. Problem is this same line is not yet routing through the cabinet to pick up the fibre link to my house...

Cheers

Ralph

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I'm fairly confident there's a fault on the line (At least connected to the fibre connection).

Once you've got it raised via the link, give me a nudge and I'll make sure it's being looked in to accordingly.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
RalphAverbuch
Dabbler

Harry

I provided the following in 'additional information'.

This is a new connection on one of two lines coming into my home. You are providing DSL2+ on the line ending 641 which must not cease until after FTTC is confirmed to be functioning on 583. Right now I have an active phone line on 583. I'm technically competent and did speak with a BT Openreach engineer at my nearby FTTC cabinet. He says (as of a week ago) that the work that the systems are reporting as completed, has, in reality, not been carried out by a BT Openreach sub-contractor. This is why my shiny new Plusnet FTTC router is glowing orange and the 'b' is flashing red right now. There is no broadband via the local fibre street cabinet linking up to my 583 line. There is a technical issue, but it is, for a fact, between the local phone exchange and the FTTC street cabinet where my line is yet to be connected.

Hopefully that will give them what they need to get this escalated.

As I've said previously, ultimately I don't have an issue with having to wait a bit longer provided I don't lose the broadband on the old phone line in the meantime... just so long as I know Plusnet is on the case and understands where the issue is!

Cheers

Ralph

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Thanks @RalphAverbuch

As expected from testing earlier today, automation has raised this straight to our suppliers without any further interaction from ourselves.

We'll monitor the fault and provide an update once we receive one from our suppliers.

Thanks for your patience.

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
RalphAverbuch
Dabbler

Thanks Harry

As long as we don't get disconnected on the existing DSL line, we'll live with it. Obviously it'd be nice to have been up and running back at Sept 28th, but neither Plusnet nor we were in a position to know what shennanigans goes down on the ground by various contractors and their sub-contractors.

I do not hold Plusnet at fault here as I know you can only be as reliable as the company supplying the actual physical connection. 

Cheers

Ralph