Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long Running Speed Issue

RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Re: Long Running Speed Issue

Hi @DaveyG 

Assuming you are using Windows 10, there is a guide on how to turn WiFi Off and On at:

https://www.techbout.com/how-to-turn-wifi-on-off-in-windows-10-30314/

Windows 10 can vary somewhat between releases but you should be able to see an On Off option on the WiFi options.

DaveyG
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Thanks Richard.  I will get to it in the morning.  However, in the meantime something is going on that seems to me to be very strange.  Since my last post the router has dropped out completely at least twice.  Witnessing that happen I wondered if Gandalf had been waving her magic wand so opened up to check.  Attached speed check - again wireless.

DaveyG
Grafter

Hi Richard,

I should start perhaps start by saying that, before I started out on the wired test adventure I did a wireless test and saw a speed of just below 8Mb/s.  Thereafter it became an interesting morning, during which I discovered that there is a fault on my 'domestic' PC in that it will not recognise an ethernet connection.  A fault with the mobo or on board wireless card I suspect.  So, I very reluctantly, dismantled my gaming PC and, as I had previously understood, as soon as I connected to the router with a cable it picked that up and switched to a wired connection.  The speed test result from that is attached.  

Just as I had completed that mammoth task (and now I have to put it all back together again) I received a call from a Open Reach guy in Belfast. Open Reach have identified the fact that there are still problems on the line and they are going to be working to try and identify what that might be and try to bring the line back to stability. Estimation, probably up to 2 weeks.

Notwithstanding all of the frustrations of the last 3 months it is reassuring, over the last few days, to have witnessed people with a proactive approach and who are not content to tell me "that is the best you can expect at that distance from the cabinet" or "the speeds that you are seeing are within your contracted limits" or "if you are not happy you can leave without penalty" or "you realise that if we send an engineer and the fault proves to be in your property we will charge you £65".

So thank you to Gandalf and to Hugh in Belfast.  Also a huge thank you to RichardB for all of his help, guidance and patience.

I will update here if and when anything happens 😊

Kind regards

Dave

DaveyG
Grafter

Hi Richard (hoping that you pick this up)

Well, that went well!  On Tuesday (26 Jan) I took another call from Open reach's man in Belfast to advise me that one of their 'senior engineers' in the region was on the case and he wanted to come to the house to run some tests at the master socket.  I had no problem with that - Covid safe was easy to reconcile - so send him along.   The chap arrived about 20 minutes later and set to. After 30 minutes he announced that they were unable to find any further line faults and he though that it was sound.  22Mb/s at the master socket consistently, checking at the end of the input cable to the router 20Mb/s.  He explained the random drop outs that had occurred since the underground repair last Friday (22 Jan) as being the result of the line speed being set at 20Mb/s, allowing no leeway for the signal variations.  Did not understand that.  He said that what he would do would be to call BT and have the line speed dropped to 18mb/s which he said would give me a solid and reliable 16Mb/s whilst allowing fluctuations to be accommodated.  He later called me to say that he had arranged with BT to drop the line speed to 16Mb/s and that now all would be well.  Wasn't too happy with that as that was not what I had agreed to but I did not see that I was in a position to argue.  Since that time the maximum speed that I have witnessed, on a wired BT Wholesale Speed Test has been 8.88Mb/s.  I have looked at the 'Troubleshoot' page on the Hub Manager and the screen print is attached.  

So, who has set the Data rate at 9993 and why?

I propose to call the customer service folks tomorrow and see if I can't get the broadband reset and my Plusnet Profile changed to match.

Oh, and I have ordered a long ethernet cable so that I can run the gaming PC wired all the time.

Regards

Dave

RichardB
Seasoned Champion

Hi @DaveyG

I would not be happy with such speed reduction, especially on a line that the Openreach tech declared as "sound"!

If the line is good - why reduce the speed?

What are the BT wholesale availability checker speed estimates for the line?

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Please post a picture of the report but remove your phone number.

Richard

DaveyG
Grafter

Morning Richard,

Copy of the report attached.

Regards

Dave

ecrTech
Grafter

Hi  DaveyG have you tried the test on your handset?

DaveyG
Grafter

Hi ecrTech and thanks for responding.

Handset?  Sorry but I don't understand. What test - what handset?

Dave

ecrTech
Grafter

Use your Mobile for the speed test, connect your Mobil to home network and do the test

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

Wireless - i.e. mobile phone tests - are useless in this situation, they need to be over ethernet.

John
DaveyG
Grafter

Thanks John,

I was aware of that and now all of the speed tests that I post are wired.

Dave

jab1
Legend

@DaveyG That wasn't aimed at you - but at @ecrTech .

John
DaveyG
Grafter

I know, I was just letting you know that I hadn't risen to the bait 😉

dave

jab1
Legend

😁👍

John
RichardB
Seasoned Champion

Hi @DaveyG 

From the availability checker figures, that is along Openreach line.

Your reduced line speeds are within the speed estimates and above the handback threshold.

The handback threshold is speeds where Openreach consider the line to be faulty.

I am sorry to say that Openreach are unlikely to accept there is a fault and try to improve the line speeds 😞

In fact it looks like you may get better speeds from standard broadband.

Richard