cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this a mistake?

Bob1
Rising Star

Re: Is this a mistake?

"it is deliberately capping upstream whilst failing to provide the promised downstream rates."

Can they really have fouled up that badly?

If so it's time to own up!

The whole point was to save them the rental cost of 80/20 over 55/10 while the £0 special offer was on:

https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/updates/briefings/super-fastfibreaccessbriefings/super-fastfib...

Tags (2)
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

@Vic20 - Apologies for any inconvenience this is currently causing.

@Vic20 wrote:
I'm totally disgusted by this move, more and more we are being encouraged to use cloud services so what do PN/BT do? yes, chop your access by half!!

We did notify customers well in advance that the upload speed would be reduced from today, although I do appreciate that the download speed hasn't changed as expected yet for all former 40//20 customers. We're looking in to this.

If you could PM me your username, I'll make sure it's added to the list of examples of affected users.

@Baldrick1 wrote:

So what is the truth regarding who it is that is applying the 9.5Mbps cap?

It's on our side.

@Baldrick1 wrote:
So Plusnet, if this is the case, why not put we customers to whom you appear to be deliberately failing to provide the promised 55Mbps on 80Mbps or put us back onto 40/20 until you sort yourselves out.

Unfortunately it's not that simple. It's not a change we can just flip on/off through the account.

@Baldrick1 wrote:
I can sympathise  when there is a [censored] up or a breakdown, but this is neither - it is deliberately capping upstream whilst failing to provide the promised downstream rates.

It is not deliberate at all. A change was put through, which has affected plenty of customers as expected, they are now seeing speeds of up to 55/10 instead of the 40/20 they had previously.

As I have already mentioned, we're collating examples in order to get this matter resolved as soon as possible.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
InterZoom
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@Bob1 wrote:

"it is deliberately capping upstream whilst failing to provide the promised downstream rates."

Can they really have fouled up that badly?

If so it's time to own up!

The whole point was to save them the rental cost of 80/20 over 55/10 while the £0 special offer was on:

https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/updates/briefings/super-fastfibreaccessbriefings/super-fastfib...

OMG.

@Bob1 Thank you so much for that link!

So I was completely wrong that waiting for the actual sync to change, then changing it back would cost PlusNet any money. Clearly it won't.

But much more importantly, this confirms that the service change is absolutely a breach of contract.

As I said, PlusNet's response to my complaint was that they were relying on Clause 18.1.3 of their Standard Terms.

But that is absolutely not a green light to screw your customers if your cost of doing so is temporarily reduced!!!

Won't fly.

I'm actually too speechless to even offer an opinion on the managers who decided this would be a good idea. Retraining, maybe? Ethics course?

Just OMG.

So what about this upstream profiling/capping via the PlusNet access routers, then? That never used to happen. I haven't received any notification of a change in traffic management policy...

---
Troubleshooting:
The Limitations of Traceroute & Ping
Latency: Connection "fast" but internet sluggish? Bufferbloat FAQ
Black Holes: Worth noting that the Plusnet Hub One router has an MTU of 1488 bytes.
gren1946
Hooked

gren1946, Same here on Whitchurch exchange Cardiff NO speed increase

Mayfly
All Star

HarryB pm sent.

I have no reason to think PN is doing anything underhand deliberately but why am I not surprised things haven't gone as they should for some.

It seems the way of business these days in all walks of life.

InterZoom
Rising Star

@Mayfly wrote:

I have no reason to think PN is doing anything underhand deliberately

Seriously?

That's exactly what is going on.

It suddenly doesn't cost them anything to change the sync speed, so they use the opportunity to slash upload speeds in half!

How is that not underhand?

And a breach of contract?

---
Troubleshooting:
Black Holes: Worth noting that the Plusnet Hub One router has an MTU of 1488 bytes.
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

As it's quicker to respond here as opposed to all the individual PM's.

I just want to say a quick thank you to the people that have sent me a PM with their username to add to the investigation list regarding this matter. It's appreciated.

Anyone who was on 40/20, but hasn't seen the change to 55/10 as expected, please do drop me a PM with your username and I'll make sure it's added to the list of examples we're collating.

Thank you all for your patience.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
InterZoom
Rising Star

@HarryB

Are you able to comment on the upstream profiling?

1.) It's new. Why is it being applied?

2.) Why is removing it not simple?

---
Troubleshooting:
Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

@HarryB I fully appreciate that your task today is to placate the rebelling natives but it seems to me that 'collating a list of those affected' is just a delaying tactic to shut us up. How long are you going to collate before someone in PN either puts things back as they were or actually does something with this list?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

medea
Grafter

Plusnet member since 2003.  Unlimited Fibre Broadband + Plusnet Anytime phone service

Today I find that my fibre service speeds appear to have been changed from 40/20 (actual speeds (tbb) which were usually 37.5/16.8) to what appears to be 40/10 (actual speeds (tbb) 37.5/9.5).

To the best of my knowledge I was not sent an email in June or at any time since to inform me of proposed changes to my fibre service.  I am aware that there has been some discussion about the introduction of 55/10 service for those with an original 40/20 service but I have had no notice of any change and therefore no opportunity to consider my options even though in May I paid for one year line rental in advance.

Am I correct in thinking that Plusnet is attempting to change the Broadband service they supply to me and that what I am seeing is another SNAFU.

medea

(rogerowalters)

BrightonRock
Pro
Fixes: 8

@HarryB

A serious question: How will we know that our service has moved from 40/20 to 55/10? Do we need to reboot the router? If so, when should we reboot? Or will the new connection rate cut in automatically?

I'm asking about the process because the upload rate on my system changed over-night - without a reconnect, so far as I can see - but the download did not change. I'm reluctant to reboot at the moment as the data-rate on the portal - which I understood was used to limit my download - still shows 40 which suggests that the process would not have any effect. But tell me I'm wrong!

InterZoom
Rising Star

@BrightonRock wrote:

the upload rate on my system changed over-night - without a reconnect, so far as I can see - but the download did not change.

That's because an upload cap has been applied at the PlusNet end, for mysterious and unprecedented reasons...

---
Troubleshooting:
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

@Baldrick1 - I'm sorry you see this as a delaying tactic, however that is not my intention at all. As mentioned, a change went through and had the desired effect on plenty of connections, that are now seeing 55/10. The reason we want examples of connections that aren't seeing the desired effect, is to try and find a pattern on the accounts that may have caused these not to see the change as expected compared to people that have seen the expected change.

The more examples we can get, the easier the investigation should be, in theory.

@medea- I've added your account to the list.

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
MKen
Dabbler

I experienced a similar limited download when I moved from ADSL to FTTC, for a week or so I was on 18 M up and 2 M down - I suspect there is something to rate limit the download speed, in part it was used to limit to 40M but I also think probably put in place to stop lines suddenly going up in speed then falling back when it couldn't handle it

InterZoom
Rising Star

@MKen wrote:

I experienced a similar limited download

It has long been the case that PlusNet download profiles are not immediately updated. Your new super-shiny upload speed was effected immediately, however.

@HarryB hasn't answered re. upload changes.

---
Troubleshooting: