cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent speed issues

nosni80rd

Intermittent speed issues

Hi all,

First post and I'm not entirely sure how to describe this issue but I'll give it a go. 

I have been using Plusnet's Fibre Unlimited package for several months now and have been having intermittent issues with transfer speeds on my relatively new LG Gram 16 laptop. One minute the connection is fine and I'm getting 27mbps and then I walk away for an hour and my laptop goes into hibernation and I wake it up and the download speed is 2mbps. I then try disconnecting and reconnecting to the wireless network and sometimes it kicks it back into life at normal speed; other times I reboot the Hub One router which seems to fix it every time. What makes it strange is that it doesn't appear to happen with another laptop device in the house which made me wonder if it is my laptop's wireless card that is the problem. However, a wireless printer I have (HP 5540) has also suffered from connectivity issues (intermittent failure to connect) with my Google Pixel 5 android phone, since I switched to this Plusnet package so I'm wondering if it is the router that is the problem.

I'd appreciate some ideas as to what I can try to see if I can get to the bottom of what might be causing these problems and fully appreciate my description is not the most helpful but this has been a source of frustration for a while now and I would like to attempt to get to the bottom of it.

Look forward to any replies.

Thanks. 

1 REPLY 1
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Re: Intermittent speed issues

Hey @nosni80rd,

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing this issue. Is the Google Pixel phone losing connection to the Wi-Fi connection at the same time it loses connection to the printer? It may be worth forgetting the phone from the printer's network (if that's an option) then reconnecting it to see if the same issue continues to occur. Regarding the laptop, are you able to connect it via Ethernet cable to the router to see if the same problems occur? 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team