cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing an ASUS DSL-AC88U drops download speed?

peterwbaker
Hooked

Installing an ASUS DSL-AC88U drops download speed?

Moved to Plusnet a few months ago and very happy with the download speed, I am a long way from the Fibre CAB and only get fast "Fast Fibre" up to the high twenties.  In practise I could get 26MB which I was very happy with given my location.  WiFi on the badged BT hub was not great so I brought a ASUS DSL-AC88U which after some initial set up tweaks is working well.

However my download speed has dropped from 26MB to 16MB which seems like a big drop even if the ASUS is not an original BT/Plusnet product.  Have looked at the forums It is running the latest firmware and directly connect to the BT socket so I am bit lost where to go next.  

I called Plusnet and they said my line was not banded, so before I connect the old BT/Plusnet router and start complaining:-) are there any suggestions or check I should do please?

Thanks in advance, Peter

10 REPLIES 10
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Re: Installing an ASUS DSL-AC88U drops download speed?

Connect the BT/PN router, then at least you will have access to diagnostic information that you could share for peole to help with advice.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

The contrary argument is that 'set up tweeks' involved multiple disconnections and the DLM tried to compensate. so @peterwbaker, whichever set up you choose do not disconnect or tweek any-more for a while to see if DLM will sort itself out.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi Peter.

Have you tried moving back to your Plusnet router and seeing if the higher speeds come back?

While testing your line isn't definitively showing your sync rate to be banded, there is an indication that it might be.

As a precaution, I've therefore arranged for a DLM reset to be submitted which should be done by mid next week.

Let us know how your speed looks afterwards.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
peterwbaker
Hooked

Thanks for the feedback/help, I'm reluctant to go back to the BT/Plusnet router as the ASUS DSL-AC88U should be a quality replacement. Since sorting out my WiFi issues generally things have been good on that front.  DSL speed does seem capped/limited at 16/18MB to so a DLM reset would be appreciated. 

The DSL link has been up for 23 days so hopefully things are stable now from my end to enable the DLM reset to do its best:-) Will report back what I see.

Thanks again, Peter

brookheather
Rising Star

<deleted>

BT FTTP 500 + pfSense + Uniquiti Unifi 6 Pro
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@brookheather Look at the title of the thread.Smiley The OP is using a DSL-AC88U which I believe has a Broadcom chipset.

peterwbaker
Hooked

Weirdly enough as I was about to start trouble shooting today with the PlusNet team the road suffered a power cut.. On resumption of services my line speed has increased to over 30mb download... For now I do nothing and see how it develops!  I would be more than happy if it stays at this speed!  Regards, Peter

peterwbaker
Hooked

Two things to say.

1. ASUS DSL-AC88U now running consistently at 29/30MB which is 10% more than I could get with the PlusNet/BT router which is again 15% more than I ever got with TalkTalk....  Nuff said!
  2. Want to put a shout out for the Plusnet support:-) previously I would spend literally hours on the phone to TalkTalk before they would listen and more hours before they would send an engineer.  Here, I make one post and I get a direct offer of help from Plusnet and clear steps I need to complete before they will send an engineer.

Kind of makes me feel good about the couple of extra quid I am paying now!

Regards, Peter

Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Hi @peterwbaker

Glad to hear the issue is now resolved. Smiley

If you require any further assistance feel free to let us know, we are always happy to help.

Thank you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

I've been with Pn for several years after suffering at the hands of TT. ( I still have nightmares about their so called customer service .)

PN are the coyote's cojones of ISPs! Roll_eyes