cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High packet loss and other DNS issues

hrsnyh
Hooked

Re: High packet loss and other DNS issues

After 2 days I got put onto a static IP, problems *seem* to still be persisting, is there anything I can do to test if I actually have the static IP, it isnt showing in the Addons part of my account and I'm still getting very inconsistent Pingtests. I have restarted my PC and the router after supposedly being given a static IP but I'm unsure if anythings actually changed.

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Select the static IP icon in here: https://www.plus.net/my.html?action=myconnection

That will tell you.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
TheHorseman
Rising Star

@hrsnyh   It says in the Member Centre if you have a static IP. Log into the Member Centre and on the left side menu click on Connection Settings then on static IP in the box that appears centre screen.

hrsnyh
Hooked

As I thought, still on dynamic IP...

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

OT

Not fibre, but noticed my IP 147.147.x.x has not apparently changed for quite a while. is that IP series on of the fixed ones, may be accidentally allocated?

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
JonnyFu
Grafter

@sannyu@mnewtonuk@bobpullen Seeing more packet loss, disconnects from games and xbox live parties..... Web browsing and video streaming work OK most of the time, occasionally need to reload a website or a video stutters.

If we didn't have a house full of gamers I would probably be unaware of the problem like I guess the majority of Plusnet customers.

I can't imagine the average Plusnet customer is going to setup a monitor on Thinkbroadband.

Its just so frustrating, there is no communication from Plusnet to say what the problem is and how and when they are going to fix it.

Just ordered some wood and a penknife anyone need any spoons!

ErraticWorm
Grafter

hmmm... here is a weird thing. As far as I can tell I haven't dropped a single packet all day...But just tried BF4, still running poorly, inbuilt network monitor still says shows i've got major packet loss. Rocket league still affected too....strange.....

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

I dont know how PN expect cutomers to post a TBB graph when the basic PN router is locked down and wont respond to pings Embarrassed

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
ErraticWorm
Grafter

i am now getting increased pl on tests...

Tench
Grafter

Quote: "I dont know how PN expect cutomers to post a TBB graph when the basic PN router is locked down and wont respond to pings Embarrassed"

This is what they are hiding behind ATM. They know very few people will have the ability/motivation to go through the techy process of modifying their routers firmware so it will respond to ping requests. What we need is a monitoring method that is easy for everyone to perform, that way we'll have a larger pool of consistent data to finger them with.

Ideas anyone?

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

There's no need to modify the firmware!

All that is required is to connect something which will respond to pings such as a Now TV box, Amazon Fire Stick, rPi etc and stick it in the DMZ.

PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

@Bob1 wrote:
.... We have quite a bit of work planned that we think will irradiate the remainder of the abnormal packet loss ....

I hope not Shocked

Bob1 wrote:.
... but we need to be cautious in our approach ....

Definitely Cool

Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
Tench
Grafter

Quote: "There's no need to modify the firmware!

All that is required is to connect something which will respond to pings such as a Now TV box, Amazon Fire Stick, rPi etc and stick it in the DMZ."

Most users won't know what a DMZ is let alone how to configure their router to add a networked device to it (if they have one). Your average user is getting is de-sync in online games and streaming media buffering. They want it fixed, they'll help identify the problem, but it needs to be easy to do..

Paul_Corfield
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

It's a piece of cake to do in the dmz. Maybe someone should sticky a post with instructions on what to do. I put my PS4 into the dmz and it works fine. I can also ping my Youview box which is attached to a powerline adapter but it didn't give as nice a graph.

My current PS4 graph, ignore the red spikes, they are just where the PS4 is turned off briefly to manually change a disc (eject disc button not working on the PS4). I'm on a dynamic ip on Southbank, connected to gateway psb-ir01.

My Broadband Ping - Plusnet

0rangecake
Dabbler

2k ms latency spikes and 40% packet loss. Literally wakemeupinside.png

Literally can't do anything except watch twitch streams and watch youtube. Are plusnet forcing me to be some sort of casual normie? What memes are these? Obligatory "RRRRRREEEEEEEEEEE"