cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High packet loss and other DNS issues

hrsnyh
Hooked

Re: High packet loss and other DNS issues

Yep, PN offered me a Static IP and the problems with packet loss seems to be completely fixed, upload and download speeds have stayed relatively similar, losing 2mbps on the download.

ErraticWorm
Grafter

I also was getting a very rthymic ping spike last night...

19-9-16-21-58-bbc.co.uk.png

ErraticWorm
Grafter

Just had a quick online chat with support, explained the issue, he confirmed I have been put on the new network. I asked for a free Static ip and was given one without issue. Hopefully this will fix things.

I'll message later when I get a chance to test BF4...maybe tomorrow though...

I am down from 35mb to 19mb down. to be honest I'll take stability over bandwidth if thats how it is. I use to play Gears of War and COD4 on 500kb without any bandwidth issues. Hopefully the new network will be sorted out.

Tabasco

Apparently the service you get is so very random...he got obsessed with router rebooting vs. session disconnect / reconnect...so irrelevant.  Expecially as rebooting never got mentioned...arghhh.

[CSA Removed]:
Good afternoon, I'm [CSA Removed]. How can I help?

User: Hi, we have been having high latency and packet loss since last Wed / Thu, primarily in the evenings
User: It is making any social online gaming impossible due to regular 2-5 second blackouts of data
User: From reading your forums, it appears that being put on a temporary Fixed IP resolves this issue and moves the user off of Colindale, can this be done please?
[CSA Removed]: If you wish to move onto a fixed IP then this can be done through the add-ons section of the member centre though this was a fix for a previous problem
[CSA Removed]:
Click here to view your add ons

[CSA Removed]:
However there isa current issue with a certain part of our back end network which is affecting many customers which is not related to IP address.

User: I do not expect to pay and wait to have this issue resolved, as we have already have 5 nights of serious disruption
[CSA Removed]:
This is something our netwroks team are working on urgently as it has been ongoing for a week and a half.

User: I do not look forward to another evening ruined
User: I shall quote you, another users experience with support:
User: I phoned up yesterday and the guy I spoke to was very helpful. He knew exactly what the problem was after I described it and the first thing he did was to confirm I was on the new network. He then put me on hold so he could "try something". I asked him what that was and he said he disconnected me at their end to give me a new session. It did nothing. He then put me on hold to "try something a bit more drastic". While he was gone my router disconnected and once I reconnected it was obvious he had given me a static IP
[CSA Removed]:
I understand why you feel this way but I'm afraid there is no easy fix while we await our networks team getting to the bottom of the issue

User: This resolved the issue straight away, and last night, which was a pretty terrible night for most of us
[CSA Removed]:
If we were to put someone on a static IP then we would ask them to reboot the router. We don't reboot the router remotely. More likely the router simply reconnected when the agent tested the line

User: No one said that the agent remotely rebooted the router.
User: plus that is rather irrelevant.
[CSA Removed]:
No but the quote you gave suggested that to be the case

User: It did not, it said it reconnected
User: which is what would happen on an IP change
[CSA Removed]:
You are correct the the use of a static IP is irrelavant in this case

[CSA Removed]: Yes when the customer reboots the router.
[CSA Removed]:
Us changing tthem onto a static IP here does not cause them to revconnect

[CSA Removed]:
So if you were to opt for a static Ip through the add-ons section for instance, it would instruct you to restart your router to connect on the new IP

[CSA Removed]:
Is there anything else I can help you with?

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): CSA name removed as per Forum rules

shevek
Grafter

Captain-Picard-Facepalm

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

OH DEAR What a debacle

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
KS25
Grafter

@Tabasco  exactly my experience, it's a mixed barrel like i've always said... some of them waffle on about nothing, some of them insert their own experience and expect it to override yours, and the rare one will admit a problem and work with you to fix it

i'm glad some people here even managed to get a free static IP

dnpark38
Rising Star

With these delays, it'll now take 5 working days to update on existing faults. We're really sorry for this inconvenience.

Previously they tweeted their suppliers had a lot on with damage etc.

So more problems for PN and possibly with our problems here.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/1476198475230638155-mini.png
shevek
Grafter

Well, since 5pm this evening my connection is almost completely unusable. General internet browsing is slower than my old 56k modem and my boy is unable to use his Xbox at all

Is there a different, new problem now? Or is a static IP not the holy grail after all?

ErraticWorm
Grafter

Yes at least on first impressions a static ip has sorted my packet loss . Had a couple of games on bf4 just now without any packet loss issues.

So yes so far I would say it is a fix.

We aren't all in this thread necessarily having the same issues. The faults page mentions weather damage in various parts of the country.

I was moved to the new network, and the person I chatted with certainly seemed to accept without any issue it was causing the problems talked about here.

Some of us seem to have had better cooperation than others
shevek
Grafter

It seems that my problem was something else this evening. I rebooted the router and all is now fine. Well, better anyway...

Tabasco

I later tried phoning, got someone else, who again refused to at least let me try being on a temporary static IP, he claimed to ask his managers, who would not waiver the £5 fee to do so, even though I am paying for something that is substandard.

KS25
Grafter

@ErraticWorm  everything runs fine up until the early evening... then it just goes PLOP

running pingplotter i'm seeing massive packet loss to wow servers right now and it's quite laggy

...sitting in a chat queue, i keep getting pushed back a few spaces, what's going on Cheesy

well that was special, after waiting 30 minutes to talk to a chat rep, 15 minutes talking to said rep and nearly getting a static IP put on my account conditionally... a second rep comes along and closes the ticket because apparently i wasn't responding --- plusnet, you need to fix your customer service chat system

a further 45 minutes to get a chat window with 3 conditions of accepting a static IP, only to need to close it because i wasn't able to respond (enter didn't work, send button didn't work), and now support is closed for the night... brilliant, this site needs a major overhaul --- wasted nearly 2 hours for nothing as they didn't put a static IP on my account without me agreeing to ALL conditions

stevemac555
Grafter

Not sure if the attached is useful to anyone.. some stats from the past few days. I am on a static IP now and is much much better than it was before... 

0rangecake
Dabbler

Still constant packet loss and latency spikes. I'm actually sick of this. If 40% of the packets being I'm sending are lost, does that constitute breach of contract, since I'm not getting a service I'm paying for?