Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High packet loss and other DNS issues

jwledwith
Dabbler

Re: High packet loss and other DNS issues

@andyr700

FYI - The support team have now acknowledged a wider issue (documented on this thread) against my support ticket. 

Riza
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@jwledwith Good to know some form of acknowledgement has been seen from Plusnet (silently)

5cd81d3e50e6bb4f45f2ea33ec809a7d

I can understand the frustration others have with packet loss, mine isn't too bad but does cause my devices to lock-up when they can't view a video due to the issue of packet loss (though temperamental).

I can't imagine what other's have with a massive amount of packet loss, I'd reckon streaming or gaming would be near to impossible.

mac1
Dabbler

Looking at Riza's TBB and comparing it to mine i am see identical spikes at about 10ish last night and around noon but nothing at 7.00ish  this morning with a slight trace of loss at the moment but gaming is still not worth it

tbb.PNG

Riza
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@mac1

Are you on a 146.198 ip range like me? I am also on the gateway:

• core2-hu0-18-0-0.colindale.ukcore.bt.net (62.172.103.16) 5.361 ms

at http://usertools.plus.net/@gateway/

I'd reckon it's the same, the reason I probably have a bit more packet loss, is that I have configured my network to use a previous Virgin Superhub to extend my WiFi to the otherside of my house.

Pingplotter suggests 129.hiper04.sheff.dial.plus.net.uk is to blame.

TheHorseman
Rising Star

@plusnet c/s, despite the packet loss showing around 35% I can watch youtube videos and also my NowTV box without any buffering. Today's graph:

My Broadband Ping - Plusnet
mac1
Dabbler

no I'm on 51.6.27xx range and going through

core1-hu0-9-0-1.colindale.ukcore.bt.net (195.99.127.18)  5.318 ms

You are currently connected to gateway pcn-ir01.

Ping plotter giving 100% loss on 129.hiper04 and 90% loss on 133.hiper04.

This is looking at at far bigger issue for PN when different gateways are showing very similar packet loss 

andyr700
Hooked

@dave I've got disconnect issues happening right now, 2 evenings in a trot dead around 21:00 (computer clock reads 20:58 BST). I'll edit post to add more details in a moment.

Updates: Attached ping plotter. Interestingly you will see the count column is significantly lower for 137.hiper04.sheff.dial.plus.net.uk, that is because the ICMP requests to the others nodes have all returned sometimes up to 10 responses by the time the hiper04 environment responds to its first request. If I run a cmd pathping to 166.49.208.216 (step before Blizzard server for me) it times out and fails on the traceroute and the route doesn't go beyond my home router. I assume it doesn't get a response from hiper04 within its timeout so can't work out the rest of the route.

Update 2: So on ping plotter at 21:32 with a 2.5 second interval between requests, I see a behaviour where the other nodes have responded 5 times before the first response comes back from hiper04. Then hiper04 will process a whole slew and catch up a bit but even when caught up its still a good 1-2 seconds behind all the other nodes on subsequent requests.

Update 3: the 20:58 disconnects could be everyone tuning into live TV streaming? http://www.radiotimes.com/tv/tv-listings - lot of stuff starts at 21:00.

NiM
Grafter

Still no change for me, the usual evening spike in the TBB monitor.

To google.com I'm getting ~85% packet loss at 137.hiper04.sheff.dial.plus.net.uk

To plus.net I'm getting ~85% packet loss at 141.hiper04.sheff.dial.plus.net.uk

Getting the same level of loss with both ICMP and UDP.

dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 6

Anyone that's seeing the packet loss issues could you tell me if you have any problems with any of the following sites. Any that have videos could you try and watch a video please and see if it plays OK.

youtube.com

google.co.uk

docs.google.com

nhl.com

bbc.co.uk

twitch.tv

Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
Maxam
Grafter

I'm on the 147.147 range and the last two evenings have been much better with Youtube and Twitch working with little buffering. I see there are still problems for others here, fingers crossed I don't report back tomorrow with problems.
andyr700
Hooked

@dave my lag and disconnects haven't happened since 10, I will try your list tomorrow night, load a youtube or bbc video at around 20:50 and let you know how that hour goes. Let me know if that would help.
TheHorseman
Rising Star

I've just tried BBC iPlayer, it is ok in SD but in HD there is the occasional twitch, as though a few frames are missing.

scottrc
Rising Star

Twitch.tv for sure Dave

scottrc
Rising Star

It's certainly not limited to video websites though. If I download a large game from Steam, I can watch the download speed chart and after about 20-30 seconds it will either drop completely or go down to like 50kb/s from 6mb/s. Then after another 5-10 seconds go back up. This repeats again and again.

NiM
Grafter

@dave

Yeah, definately still seeing some stuttering on Twitch, Youtube and in general images stuttering to load, problems with online games, etc. Not the worst it's been, possibly because it's getting late, but it's still poor.

Did pingplots to all the sites you suggested, including to the actual streams for youtube and twitch, appologies to everyone for the image spam.

youtube.com

youtube.PNGyoutube_stream.PNG

google.co.uk

google_co_uk.PNG

docs.google.com

docs_google.PNG

nhl.com

NHL_com.PNG

bbc.co.uk

bbc_co_uk.PNG

twitch.tv

twitch_tv.PNGtwitch_stream.PNG