Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Guaranteed speed never achieved

JohnofYork
Grafter

Guaranteed speed never achieved

Speed.PNG

To the best of my knowledge we have NEVER achieved anythign approaching the dizzy heights of 13.6Mps.

According to MoneySupermarket as a new customer I'd get this:

MSSpeed.PNG

who's right?

this is what BTW has to say:

BTW.PNG

15 REPLIES 15
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Re: Guaranteed speed never achieved

So did you bother to report a fault after the last time you posted this?

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Hi @JohnofYork

Thanks a lot for reaching out and I'm sorry to see that the speeds you're getting at the moment are lower than those promised as per your contract. I've tested the line and can't see any faults, other than the speed itself being low. I'll pop my test results onto this post so you can have a look. There's also no issue with your Broadband profile on our suppliers end.

Going forward, I'd suggest going through our Troubleshooting Guide to see if you're able to resolve this internally. If not, head over to faults.plus.net and raise this issue with our Technical Support Team.

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
JohnofYork
Grafter

Hi Mustrum

No. Last time I did, there was a fault on the line, which was fixed.

The engineer then said because of the age of the nearest pole connections, it was never likely to improve; a fact echoed by any speed estimate I get from any other provider, which never tops 15mb. Our neighbours over the road (so served from a different pole) but from the same cabinet at the bottom of the street can get 35mb+

It's the fact that the guaranteed speed is never achieved that bugs me.

JohnofYork
Grafter

Hi Adam

Thanks.

Last time I re[orted it, there was a fault on the line (crackling dial tone), which was fixed.

The engineer then said because of the age of the nearest pole connections, it was never likely to improve; a fact echoed by any speed estimate I get from any other provider, which never tops 15mb. Our neighbours over the road (so served from a different pole) but from the same cabinet at the bottom of the street can get 35mb+

It's the fact that the guaranteed speed is never achieved that bugs me.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

No doubt it will continue to bug you if you can't be bothered to chase it up and follow advice.

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @JohnofYork,

I'm sorry to hear that you've been experiencing these issues. I've had a look at your account today and I can see that since you'd last updated this thread, you've spoken to our High Level Escalations Team. Regarding the outcome on the support ticket, linked here, have you decided how you wish to proceed? Obviously, it's best to keep any private information off of the public forum, but please let us know if there's anything we can assist with at this stage and we'll be happy to help out.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
JohnofYork
Grafter

Thanks Alex.

That ticket was in regard to pointless offers for BT Sport.

John

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Ah, my mistake then, it seems I misinterpreted it. That being said, how would you like to proceed at this stage? If you're still experiencing issues with the speeds, then we'd be happy to pick this case back up for review, though based on what I've read and seen of the account today it will likely require an engineer visit.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
Edinburgh_wg
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I'm sorry but if the connectors at the pole are old, whatever that means, Openreach need to get their act together and renew those connectors. You're paying for line rental, too, remember so ensure that you get what you're paying for.
JohnofYork
Grafter

today (12/11/21) my download speed is now shown as in the range of 9-11Mbps, when it used to say 15-23Mbps, and the guaranteed speed has dropped to 7.4Mbps.

that's one way of fixing the problem, I suppose.

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Hello @JohnofYork

Thanks a lot for reaching out. As of November this year, we've changed the way in which we calculate both your expected speeds, as well as your minimum guaranteed speeds. From now on, we'll be using Openreach's "observed speeds" as a measure as it's far more accurate than the way it was calculated before.

Openreach's observed speeds are exactly what it sounds like, it's the speeds on the line that we've observed it to achieve. Previously, we used Openreach's speed values for lines with similar characteristics.

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
JohnofYork
Grafter

Hmm ...

so 3 months ago Plusnet weren't achieving my guaranteed speed (and never had) , and now you do, because the threshold has been adjusted.

Excellent.

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Ho @JohnnoYork, thanks for getting back in touch. My apologies regarding what we previously advised, but we do aim to provide the speeds outlined in the contract throughout he contract term. Should there look to be issues present then we can look to raise a fault and investigate the problems further. I'd advise then if you haven't already to please try the below internal checks first of all to see how the speeds are looking when you're in the set-up below. (When testing your connections speeds we recommend doing so on a wired devices with no other devices or applications using the speeds at the time as this can skew results.)

I'd recommend starting with basic checks here: http://goo.gl/p2tpvL

And if that doesn't help the next thing would be to rule your internal wiring out by plugging the connection into your test socket which is under the faceplate of your master socket and seeing if the speed issues stop. This rules out internal wiring, face plates and extension sockets as being the cause. How to locate the test socket and set your connection into it can be found here:
https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242

Should the speed issues look to persist in this set-up then please do get back to us and we'll happily help progress this issue further for you.

Edinburgh_wg
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

It's not Plusnet, it's Openreach. As soon as they go into your home and stick their machine in, this will update the speeds in the area. It's one big con, you know. The sooner the competition appears the better, as it forces Openreach to maintain and update their s*** of a network.