Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Groundhog Day.

newagetraveller
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Groundhog Day.

Thanks for the ticket update, but  "Connection is continuing to drop out an Impairment in the Copper Joint has been detected when testing the line."

The quoted has been the "diagnosis" each time which results in OR attending, finding no faults (i.e. speeds as they should be), changing the faceplate and resetting the line. It will then be perfect for a time until back to the poor speeds. What is "the" copper joint?

Once more I ask, what will result if the above paragaph happens yet again? Do OR keep coming out to do the same each time?

Yesterday morning the speeds were about 1.7 down and 0.1 up. Soft reset of the Hub One made no difference. Powered off the router, restarted and speeds returned to those illustrated in the BT results.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

However, from a previous post, " if OR attend again, find nothing wrong and probably carry out a line reset, what's the next step when the same thing inevitably occurs again, i.e. Groundhog Day!?"

We could potentially raise an escalation with BT Wholesale.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
newagetraveller
Pro

And what is "the copper joint"?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

That could be anything along the line.

Our tests have just detected a possible issue on the line.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
newagetraveller
Pro

OR turned up this morning about 8.30 out of the blue. He did spend some time and confirmed the reduced speed but found no faults, again! Reset the line, again!

Hub One left in test socket to see what happens. He mentioned escalating to a Boost? Engineer.

Of course there were hints that it could be a faulty Hub One or some sort of interference affecting the router. On a wired connection and why only since upgrading to 80/20? Everything was perfectly stable on 40/10.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I'm sorry to hear the engineer couldn't find a problem.

Unfortunately we can't arrange boost engineers. I think it would be a good idea to rule out the router next, so I'm sending you a replacement which you should receive within the next few days.

If you're still experiencing connection issues following that please let us know and we'll raise an escalation with BT Wholesale, requesting a more experienced engineer is assigned.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
newagetraveller
Pro

I suppose the router cannot be fully eliminated. However, the first speed reduction occured using a TPLink AC1900, the next with a BT Smart hub 6 then the Hub One.

The OR "engineer" advised to keep the existing Hub One connected to the test socket to wait and see if and when it happens again. Apparently this would give them a better idea.

Do I use the replacement Hub One or leave everything as it is as advised? I suspect it will be a waste of postage and a new Hub One.

Would being supplied via two linked cabinets have any bearing? ADSL was connected to CAB1 about a mile away, then VDSL was transferred to CAB9 about 200 yds. away.

Also would "the copper joint" fault indicate a router problem? Apparently that indicates a high resistance somewhere which is often caused by a poor/loose connection which could be anywhere!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Do I use the replacement Hub One or leave everything as it is as advised? I suspect it will be a waste of postage and a new Hub One.

I'd recommend using the new Hub One in case there is problem with your existing one.

Would being supplied via two linked cabinets have any bearing? ADSL was connected to CAB1 about a mile away, then VDSL was transferred to CAB9 about 200 yds. away.

That shouldn't make a difference.

Also would "the copper joint" fault indicate a router problem? Apparently that indicates a high resistance somewhere which is often caused by a poor/loose connection which could be anywhere!

The fault location in our test results can be wrong occasionally as it's difficult to remotely determine 100% where the location of the fault lies until an engineer visits. Testing your line yesterday was showing:

GEA service test completed and no fault found .

As opposed to Impairment in copper joint detected most likely in local network. previously.

Keep us posted.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
newagetraveller
Pro

Thanks Anoush. Hub One received yesterday.

There will be a disconnection showing at circa 8am when I swapped over. Using the new microfilter and cables too.

I will, of course, advise of any further deterioration. Smiley

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problems at all.

Fingers crossed that improves your connection.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
newagetraveller
Pro

Well that didn't take long. Lost connection at 10 am. Now as below. Do you want the "new" Hub One back?Roll_eyes I knew it wasn't the router/modem.

BT test 7 April 2018.png

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Sorry to hear you're still having issues.

Our testing isn't showing any issues and your connection seems to be a lot more stable in the past week:

Unfortunately due to the relatively low number of the drops, as it stands it's unlikely to be accepted as a fault.

Can you let us know if the drops increase in frequency?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Surely it must be a reportable speed fault if the OP is only getting around 30Mbps with a 76Mbps IP profile

I wouldn't agree that one or two line drops a day is considered to be stable either. I suspect there is still a line fault that Openreach can't locate or fix.Angry

newagetraveller
Pro

Here is this morning's result.

I have responded to the open ticket, 17099967, Anoush.

"I suspect there is still a line fault that Openreach can't locate or fix.Angry" Or equipment, which might take up too much time to locate and/or money to fix.

The Friday 8am event was connecting the replacement Hub One, which I advised in my post on that day. The 10am Saturday was the disconnection, not of my doing, after which the speeds deteriorated again.
BT test 9 April 2018.png

newagetraveller
Pro

To quote the written words of the late Douglas Adams. "So long and thanks for all the fish."

Long time customer off to pastures new.