cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting GEA test results

radiopro
Dabbler

Getting GEA test results

I’m interested in obtaining GEA test results for my line if possible?

I seem to have high errored seconds and CRC causing big losses in connection speed and interleaving.

wonderimg what it says about line noise etc. 

15 REPLIES 15
OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Re: Getting GEA test results

Hi @radiopro, thanks for your post.

We aren't seeing any errored seconds our end but for your reference I've included your GEA result below:

GEA Test Detail
Circuit ID <REDACTED FOR SECURITY> Service ID <REDACTED FOR SECURITY>

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 53.4 Mbps
Upstream Speed 13.5 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 653.9
Upstream Rate Assessment Reasonable
Downstream Rate Assessment Reasonable
Interference Pattern Regular Interference Observed Daily
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Interference Duration Longest Occurrence ; 00:00 to 23:45
Interference Location Customer Premise
Interference Observed In Days 14
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream Traffic Detected
Technology VDSL
Profile Name 0.128M-60M Downstream, Interleaving High - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2018-11-08T19:00:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 53.4 Mbps 57.4 Mbps 54.3 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 13.5 Mbps 13.8 Mbps 13.6 Mbps
Up Time 0.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 895.3 Sec
Retrains 0.0 1.0 0.0
Current and Last 15 Minute Bin Performance
Parameters Last Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins) Current Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins)
Start Time Stamp 2018-11-21T18:30:56.831+00:00 2018-11-21T18:45:56.831+00:00
Ingress Code Violation 0 0
Egress Code Violation 0 0
Errored Seconds 0 0
Severely Errored Seconds 0 0
Unavailable Seconds 0 0

On the back of the above results, there doesn't really look to be anything out of place. (I'd expect to see 'Regular Interference Observed Daily' on 95% of broadband connections)

Please let us know if you need anything else.

radiopro
Dabbler

Thanks for that OskarPapa

Why do some of the GEA tests have Radio Frequency Ingress as a test but the one you did for me doesnt?

The reaso I ask is that I am a Radio Amateur and run both VHF & UHF Repeaters transmitting from the property, I am wondering if these are contributing the the line noise.

These are the errors seen at my end.

---------------------- ATU-R Info (hw: annex A, f/w: annex A/B/C) -----------
Running Mode : 17A State : SHOWTIME
DS Actual Rate : 53422000 bps US Actual Rate : 13504000 bps
DS Attainable Rate : 70862840 bps US Attainable Rate : 13572085 bps
DS Path Mode : Interleave US Path Mode : Fast
DS Interleave Depth : 1787 US Interleave Depth : 1
NE Current Attenuation : 20 dB Cur SNR Margin : 3 dB
DS actual PSD : 6. 7 dB US actual PSD : 6. 9 dB
NE CRC Count : 91 FE CRC Count : 2023
NE ES Count : 11 FE ES Count : 1353
Xdsl Reset Times : 0 Xdsl Link Times : 2
ITU Version[0] : b5004946 ITU Version[1] : 544e0000
VDSL Firmware Version : 05-07-06-0D-01-07 [with Vectoring support]
Power Management Mode : DSL_G997_PMS_L0
Test Mode : DISABLE
-------------------------------- ATU-C Info ---------------------------------
Far Current Attenuation : 23 dB Far SNR Margin : 6 dB
CO ITU Version[0] : b5004946 CO ITU Version[1] : 544eb206
DSLAM CHIPSET VENDOR : < IFTN >

Cheers

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

I suspect it's been removed in recent updates as we no longer see it reflected in GEA tests since around October.

With regards to the equipment it's hard to tell exactly. Is the equipment near the router or the actual line itself?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
radiopro
Dabbler

The radio equipment is separated from the line and router a fair distance but the general RF fieldstrength at the property will be high due to Aerials etc. I was just intrigued. I’ve been interleaved for so long I forget when I last had a <20ms ping. Something must be causing the errors so I’m clutching at straws. 

Friends in the local area get much much better speed and ping than I do. So it doesn’t make sense.

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @radiopro,

When it comes to comparing your connection speeds and ping to that of those in the surrounding area, things tend to get a little confused. There are areas where one persons house could be connected up to Fibre and the next door neighbour might still only be on old aluminum wiring. You're already on Fibre, so that's not exactly what's going on in this case, but it's a similar principle at play as everyone on your street could be achieving different line estimates, based on how the line reaches each property.

As far as we can see there's no issues from our end of things, so it may be worth doing some internal diagnostics such as testing with different devices to see if the same issue occurs and (even if you haven't already) try running the same tests whilst connecting through an Ethernet connection.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
iangilf
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

0.128M-60M Downstream, Interleaving High - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off

shows that the line is banded and that they have a high level of interleaved hence the high pings

so surely they need a dlm reset to correct this

dws1900
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Hi

Have you investigated whats causing this...

( does the Service Impact actually relate to Interference?)

I suffered on adsl2, a REIN event, in a property 5 doors away, but on the same circuit to the exchange, dropped my speed from 17Mbs to 14Mbs.

Might be worth shutting everything down( domestic, amateur radio etc) preferably in the small hours, and then do a single computer via ethernet speed test.

Interference Pattern Regular Interference Observed Daily
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Interference Duration Longest Occurrence ; 00:00 to 23:45
Interference Location Customer Premise
OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @radiopro,

Apologies, as @iangilf correctly points out, the result does indicate there is banding on the line but as the speeds are not hitting the maximum speed of the banding, resetting it is not going to make much difference on this occasion.

The key here is to identify why we're not hitting the sync we should be seeing (between 47.5 & 67mbps).

At this point, we'd be looking at completing home checks, before sending out an engineer to try and determine the cause of these slower sync speeds.

Can you take a look at the troubleshooting here.

I also agree with what @dws1900 has to say, that ideally we'd like for you to run a wired Ethernet speed test with only your PC powered on.

Please let us know how you get on.

radiopro
Dabbler

All checks done, modem wired directly to the master socket which has a VDSL face plate fitted, I have also tried different faceplates MK1 and MK2. I have no phone extensions or even a local phone connected to the socket either as do not use the line for voice. The drop lead from the house eves is fairly new twisted pair and only 2ft length as the NTE5 is in the upstairs room. 

Tried the plusnet net hub and this was slower so reverted back to my own Draytek combo.

Ethernet at home is gigabit and fully wired to all desktop equipment, I only use WiFi for tablets and phones.

Turned all circuits on consumer unit off apart from adjacent socket and then ran an extension lead to power the router and pc. I think this is fruitless though as the DLM has already restricted connection so think I wouldn’t need everything off for days to try and prove it is noise and get some restritction handed back from the DLM.

sync now even lower with all the messing about and line interruptions. Getting better speeds on 4G at present. 

---------------------- ATU-R Info (hw: annex A, f/w: annex A/B/C) ----------- Running Mode : 17A State : SHOWTIME DS Actual Rate : 47193000 bps US Actual Rate : 13631000 bps DS Attainable Rate : 57016200 bps US Attainable Rate : 13713032 bps DS Path Mode : Interleave US Path Mode : Fast DS Interleave Depth : 1467 US Interleave Depth : 1 NE Current Attenuation : 19 dB Cur SNR Margin : 6 dB DS actual PSD : 6. 7 dB US actual PSD : 6. 9 dB NE CRC Count : 0 FE CRC Count : 2067 NE ES Count : 0 FE ES Count : 1396 Xdsl Reset Times : 0 Xdsl Link Times : 3 ITU Version[0] : b5004946 ITU Version[1] : 544e0000 VDSL Firmware Version : 05-07-06-0D-01-07 [with Vectoring support] Power Management Mode : DSL_G997_PMS_L0 Test Mode : DISABLE -------------------------------- ATU-C Info --------------------------------- Far Current Attenuation : 23 dB Far SNR Margin : 6 dB CO ITU Version[0] : b5004946 CO ITU Version[1] : 544eb206 DSLAM CHIPSET VENDOR : < IFTN >Vigor>

dws1900
Aspiring Pro

Hi

Currently my monitoring system is showing slow down (5Mbs, typically 21Mbs when quiet).

Today is not a good time to do a quiet test as it Black Friday.

I see slowdown of tests from 1800 - 2300 every evening due presumably the neighbours using the internet, dammed inconsiderate I say Smiley

Over night it pops up to 21Mbs.

I don't have interleave, and my dns pings are currently 14ms to plusnet, speed test pings about 22ms. 

Sounds like you have all the wiring sorted ok.

Can only suggest a GEA test when all other equipment is off, to determine if it is really you causing the interference.

The REIN I had prior to plusnet was a dodgy security camera power supply six doors down the road.

This was on underground lines, overground are more of a problem.

Re Vigor, I have a 2860, and found QOS and Hardware acceleration slowed things so they are off.

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I'd definitely agree with @dws1900 on this one, the way forward here is going to be running testing whilst only the PC is plugged in.

I fully appreciate it's going to be an inconvenience. If you can drop us a post tomorrow when you've managed to get down to the bare bones of the equipment, we'll run further testing.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

When the GEA test says it has observed interference daily, over the whole day, for 14 days, I don't think those results are going to suddenly change if you run another GEA test at some time tomorrow and the interference happens to not be present at that moment.

Perhaps looking at the QLN or SNR per tone data from the Draytek might help.

dws1900
Aspiring Pro

Interesting.

On my 2860 it is not apparent how to do this. Which model are you referring too?

I can get dsl stats and an overall graph of the tones.

I do not know which model the OP has, perhaps he can inform us?

radiopro
Dabbler

Got the system isolated at present and only the pc and router/modem powered up if anyone is able to conduct another GEA test. 

At present Sync is below the range for my line. 

And speed results also slow,