cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First 24 hours - is 984Kbps download speed normal to begin with?

Mark_W_1
Dabbler

First 24 hours - is 984Kbps download speed normal to begin with?

I'm aware that there are 14 days of DLM ahead for this connection, but I'm curious - does service really start with a sync speed this low?

According to the Member Centre, the line has a 'Current Line Speed (Download)' of 78Mbps, yet the router is syncing at 984Kbps and has done so with no change in the last 24 hours.

Is this something I should be concerned about at this stage?

I attach screenshots from the 'Member Centre' and the 'Hub Two' status page.

Thanks for any insight anyone can provide.

28 REPLIES 28
Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

Re: First 24 hours - is 984Kbps download speed normal to begin with?

@Mark_W_1  Welcome to the forum.

Something is clearly not right here.

Have you plugged a phone in and checked that a) you have a dial tone and can make a call and b) assuming that you have a dial tone then ring  17070. First check that your phone number is correct then select Option 2 to see if you have any background noise.

If either test fails then you have a phone fault that needs repairing before going any further as it will result in the symptoms you are reporting.

Let us know how you get on.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

The speed you report - is that what the router reports or is that the result of a speed test?

Do you have dial tone? Is the line quiet?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Mark_W_1
Dabbler

It took a while to find our handset - we're still unpacking, having just moved here.

Dial tone: yes

Can call out: yes

Can receive calls: yes

Background noise: there is some background noise.  There is an occasional soft crackle and I can hear what I'm guessing is AC hum.  Someone in the past thought it was a good idea to install the master socket right next to the electric meter and consumer unit - I'd bet money that this doesn't help matters! 😂

Mark_W_1
Dabbler

It's what the router reports and a speed test concurs with what the router says.

I would say the line isn't as quiet as it should be.  I think re-siting the master socket would be a good idea.  I'll look into this.

Mark_W_1
Dabbler

Just after I sent my last reply, I refreshed the router status and it's now showing a download speed of 30Mbps.  A speed test shows 28.3.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

I suggest that the user portal is presently reporting the provisioned speed awaiting updates from BT.

Router stats and BT test reports are the best measures of what is happening. Any noise on the line will not be advantageous. Keep a watch. Hopefully a staff member will be along soon and they can run a line test.

Keep an eye (ear?) on the line noise.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Mark_W_1
Dabbler

I took the master socket backbox off the wall to move it about 20cm away from the electric meter and removed two extensions that were punched in.  To my ears, the line is a little quieter now.  Also, speeds are now getting much better.  Latest test yields 45Mbps D/L.

Thanks for everyone's help.  I shall now leave well alone to let the DLM do what it needs to do.  👍

I'm already experiencing 4 times the download speed of my previous address (using a wireless service), so I'm a happy boy!  🤗

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 78

On the Hub Two home page, click on Broadband Performance Test, run Basic Speed test followed by Additional Diagnostics. This will present the current IP Profile details.

Post the results here for further comments.

Dan

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Two extensions from the master socket implies star wiring - not good Kama! Best removed!

Mark_W_1
Dabbler

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Have you got the router sync speed & stats please?

Mark_W_1
Dabbler

dvorak
Fixes: 1,485

What does this page say http://192.168.1.254/helpdesk.htm (remove the serial number and broadband username)
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Mark_W_1
Dabbler

@dvorak, it redirects to /home.htm