cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre unlimited speed degradation over time

keithn

Fibre unlimited speed degradation over time

Hi, I switched to fibre unlimited about 3 years ago. At that time, I was getting sync speeds of around 65Mbps and download speeds of > 55Mbps using a PlusNet hub one.

Today, I am getting a sync speed of only 33.48Mbps, with downloads of around 30Mbps. My equipment has not changed and so I can only assume that something at the cabinet/exchange has or that my line is deteriorating, although voice calls are still clear.  Personally, I suspect that the DLM has reduced my connection speed over time and if this is the case, please arrange for it to be reset. 

Failing that, would someone please comment on any other reasons for the slowdown?

Many Thanks,

Keith

7 REPLIES 7
keithn

Re: Fibre unlimited speed degradation over time

Hi,

In the middle of the night, my connection dropped out and reconnected at 42 Mbps! Still not great but better by 30%. Was  a DLM reset requested or was it just normal variability (seems a large change)?

Thanks,

Keith

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Re: Fibre unlimited speed degradation over time

Hi @keithn,

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing these issues. I've tested your line this evening and I can see that the connection had been dropping out yesterday as well as the speeds currently coming in at a lower rate than we'd expect. As this is the case, I would ask that you please run through our online troubleshooting guide, which can be found here, as well as setting your router up within the test socket in the property, which we have another guide for here.

Please let us know how you get on with this and if the problems persist or not and we'll be happy to pick this back up for further review as soon as possible.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
keithn

Fibre Unimited - Cab 7 BB3 1RG Continuing poor performance

Hi,

I first raised an issue about problems with the performance of my connection back in December 2019 - please read thread below to start with:

https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Fibre-unlimited-speed-degradation-over-time/m-p/169265...

After a small improvement was made, I did not pursue it any further due to Christmas commitments. However since then, even the small improvement has vanished. I am now back to down sync :33.48 mbps, down data speed: 30mbps, up sync: 10.75 mbps, up data speed: typically 9 mbps and ping: 20mS.

I have gone through all the recommended tests including connecting directly into the master socket (thereby disconnecting any internal wiring) to no avail.

I am supposed to get between 36 & 66 mbps and the poor performance is now causing problems with buffering when streaming.

As per my original post, I used to get a sync of 65 mbps with down data of always > 55mbps and a ping of 20 mS 

I'm now at the point where I am paying £41.99 per month for a service that is pretty poor and so I am thinking of changing ISP. If you can fix the problem and get it back to where it was originally, then I might be persuaded to renew, otherwise it will have to be goodbye.

Keith

dvorak
Fixes: 1,484

Re: Fibre Unimited - Cab 7 BB3 1RG Continuing poor performance

Moderators Note

Topics merged to keep all information on same issue in one place.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
KatieC
Pro
Fixes: 11

Hi @keithn

Together with our network partners at Openreach we are prioritising customers who don’t have a phone line or broadband connection, meaning there might be a delay in Speed Faults being fixed. In the meantime, please raise your speed fault online at faults.plus.net.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Katie C
 Plusnet Help Team
keithn

Here I am again, posting about poor sync speed/connection issues which are continuing to get worse.

I am currently getting around 24 Mbps down (look at previous posts to  see that I used to get 60+ Mbps) and my sync speed is down to 33 Mbps down and 9.5 up. Unacceptable.

This comes 1 day after receiving notification of a price rise in October.  Well all I can say is that if my service is not significantly improved within the next week or so, there will be no price rise for me, because I will be going elsewhere. It's just bare-faced cheek to talk about price rises with the service deteriorating in this way.

Please do something.

Thanks,

Keith

Tibzor
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 25

Hi @keithn

Sorry to hear that. I am unable to find any raised fault on your account as advised on previous message by Katie. If not already, please connect your router into test socket as per this guide

If  this won't help, please raise  fault here