cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Broadband - Slow Broadband

welsh_rocker

Fibre Broadband - Slow Broadband

Hi,

I joined Plusnet a few months ago and generally the service has been mostly stable and kept a constant speed, however within the last 2 to 3 weeks there has been degradation in the service with running half the speed at just certain parts of the day. Also the service seems to lag on video streaming on anything over 1080p during these period. It seems like my connection is being throttled during these times.

Is there anything I can do to resolve this other than switch providers?

4 REPLIES 4
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 268

Re: Fibre Broadband - Slow Broadband

@welsh_rocker Welcome to the forums. This sounds like an external problem which would possibly follow you to any other ISP.

For Community members to be able to help, information from these two sites, as screenshots:-

BT Broadband(obscuring your phone number) and BTW Performance Tester - Over a wired (ethernet) connection. Please report the 'ADDITIONAL DIAGNOSTICS', and sight of the HELP DESK tab from your Hub would be a start.

It may also be a good idea to report the results of a Quiet Line Test - dial 17070 option 2 from a (preferably corded) phone. After the confirmation of your phone number, there should be total silence apart from the regular 'Quiet Line Test' announcement. Any other noise - report a PHONE fault first.

John
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,603

Hi @welsh_rocker

I'm really sorry to see you're having bad speed issues at certain times of the day.

I've tested your line today and the tests are showing your router's getting a good stable speed of around 53mbps.

However, investigating further there's an IP conflict in our systems which may be causing the issue.

I've put some changes through to fix that, could you turn your router off for 20 seconds and then back on again?

Let me know how it goes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
welsh_rocker

Good Afternoon Gandalf,

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you on this issue. Thank you for checking my line. I can see from your email that my line is now supporting 53mbs. This has dropped dramatically from my previous service providers where my connection supported at last 62mbs. The upstream is the same my line used to support at least 16mb but is down to 13mb.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,603

Hi @welsh_rocker

I think it's hard to compare with what you got from your previous provider as speeds can change over time, based on the infrastructure. Our suppliers expectations for your line shown Here are between 44.6mbps 64.1mbps, so unless there are other issues, I'm afraid they wouldn't investigate further unfortunately. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet