Re: FAO: CRT -- ECI Modem Latency Problem with G.INP

Progress.
At least as far as latency goes.

Smiley
---
Troubleshooting:
The Limitations of Traceroute & Ping
Latency: Connection "fast" but internet sluggish? Bufferbloat FAQ
Black Holes: Worth noting that the Plusnet Hub One router has an MTU of 1488 bytes.
godsell4
Rising Star

FTTC install last week, it was a BTO Engineer, he only had ECI modems and we have a Huawei cabinet.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Haffoc
Grafter

Quote from: godsell4
FTTC install last week, it was a BTO Engineer, he only had ECI modems and we have a Huawei cabinet.

I recently had an Openreach engineer looking at my line (ECI modem with G.INP enabled - lost 15Mbps) He only had ECI modems as well, when I asked him about Huawei, he said they're no longer being issued with them, just ECI modems.
As an aside, he said if I did get hold of a Huawei HG612 then make sure it was a 3B, apparently the 2B's overheat and there had been rumours of some catching fire
InterZoom
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Openreach strike back.
I do wish they'd leave my line alone.
It was back to 80 Mbps sync yesterday after PlusNet got them to fix the line fault caused by doing an installation at a neighbouring property.
Hurray! Well done PlusNet    Smiley
Three weeks of effort went into that result.
It meant the residual G.INP effect was then clearly visible.
But today Openreach themselves (not sub-contracted to Quinn this time) have done another installation at another neighbouring property... and messed it up even more impressively!    Cry

BT IP Profile is down to 25.18 Mbps now    Shocked

At least it means the BT Wholesale network problems aren't so visible, I suppose!!!    Crazy
(Yes, the BTw peak time packet loss never completely went away.)
And G.INP... well, that pales into insignificance. That was only an 11.61 Mbps loss. Now we're talking about a 52.17 Mbps reduction in BT IP Profile from normal service, the line can't even support the PlusNet 40 Mbps package any more. Definitely service-affecting now: to a greater degree, both in percentage and absolute terms, than G.INP incompatibility on a good line with the 80 Mbps package!
So tiresome.
I think it's about time BT were forced to sell Openreach off, personally. But that could just be irrational, stunned frustration talking...    Undecided
---
Troubleshooting:
Black Holes: Worth noting that the Plusnet Hub One router has an MTU of 1488 bytes.
chrcoluk
Grafter

you should get a easy fault as this will fail the GEA test easily.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Sorry to see it's dropped again.
I've passed it back to our suppliers to investigate.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
InterZoom
Rising Star

Thank you so much, Matthew.
As chrcoluk says, bad is good in a way: at least they can't say it's working within acceptable parameters!
And if needs be, my neighbour can probably get a copy of the engineer's notes from his ISP. So this time a named individual, directly employed by Openreach, can take responsibility.
Go back a few months and I didn't have to concern myself with my internet connection at all.
That's what I want to get back to...
It's how life should be!
The annoying thing for PlusNet is that all of this bother is being caused by your supplier, but you end up having to deal with the fall-out. So I am grateful for the time and effort needed to do that.
---
Troubleshooting:
InterZoom
Rising Star

Seriously... Do I have to name the incompetent Openreach engineer in order to get this resolved?
Will be two weeks on Friday.
---
Troubleshooting:
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Sorry for the delay  Sad
The fault was stuck on our suppliers systems but it has come back now.
They're wanting to arrange a engineer to the property investigate further. We can try and push back to get a engineer to investigate externally but this may delay things by a couple of days.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
mawdle
Dabbler

@MatthewWheeler

With every ISP nationwide now issued with the new profile for removal of G.INP on the upstream, what should I be seeing, because nothing seems to have changed my side with speed or latency.
I might be wrong, but I was expecting this new profile would trigger a re-sync, therefore also changing my PPP session and giving back the lost 11 Mbps and sub 10ms ping.

Any chance you could see if my line does show the updated profile and if so, should I reboot my router or even restart the modem.

Thanks.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

@mawdle
As far as I'm aware the profile changes are being gradually rolled out and not all at once.
With regards to the change you are correct as your line should resync.
Your current profile is "0.128M-80M Downstream, Retransmission Low - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Retransmission Low"
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
AndyH
Grafter

Just under 1 million (of the 2.5 million lines on Huawei cabinets) have had the updated profile so far as they can only do 50-60k lines a day.
To be clear though, the profile update only removes the automatic application of upstream interleaving, where a line does not support retransmission in the upstream. It does not disable retransmission on lines that are capable of supporting it on the upstream.

alext05
Grafter

Quote from: AndyH

To be clear though, the profile update only removes the automatic application of upstream interleaving, where a line does not support retransmission in the upstream.

This depends on what, a consumer equipment (ie, modem or modem/router)?
AndyH
Grafter

On Huawei cabinets, yes.
alext05
Grafter

Thanks, Andy. What will happen if I replace incompatible gear - ECI modem, for example - with compatible, like Billion 8800N. Will it automatically detect the hardware and reapply G.INP on upstream? If so, will it happen immediately or will take some time?