Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disconnects at roughly same time every day

mcintoshuk
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Disconnects at roughly same time every day

New modem arrived today and is installed. In fact, three new modems arrived today Cheesy, bound together with a big elastic band and all with the same order number on the label.  Speed is still on the slow side, but given the number of disconnects I was getting recently (although none in the last two days) I guess I need to give it a few days for things to stabilise and see if there's any improvement.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Sorry to hear that.

We've sent you returns bags for the multiple routers you've received.

With regards to the speeds our tests are still showing a issue that needs a appointment.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
mcintoshuk
Rising Star

@MatthewWheeler OK, I'll send the surplus back as soon as the bags arrive.

Disappointed that there's no change, but I guess changing the router was a bit of an outside bet. Not sure if I should update the ticket (175005504) or not, but at this point I'd be looking at Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday AM slots next week for an appointment. Over the past few days, it's been running at usable speeds (and fairly stable) although well below what I used to get.

I'm seriously inclined to believe that the problems get worse with warmer, drier weather and improve after it rains.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

If you can add the dates to the ticket we'll get that picked up

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
mcintoshuk
Rising Star

Done!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks. I've booked the appointment in for the earliest slot you've asked for.

Let us know how the visit goes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
stuz10k
Dabbler

Hello

Since a ticket was opened we had an openreach engineer round, he changed the master socket on the wall, the same day we did have a disconnect but then reconnected virtually straight away- Since then I've had 5 days of constant internet, no disconnects - Until today, same time as all previous times 20:00pm GMT, cuts off, same error logs showing against the hub. 

Will monitor for another couple of weeks.........

mcintoshuk
Rising Star

@stuz10k That fills me with confidence for my engineer visit next week then...Undecided

@MatthewWheeler Here's a tip: Two router boxes don't easily fit into one bag! Tongue If the bag had been 20mm wider I'd have got them in side-by-side, or 40mm longer and I'd have been able to get them in on top of each other and still get the flap to seal. As it was, Parcel Tape was my friend.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

@stuz10k keep us posted and let us know if the disconnections increase.

@mcintoshuk yeah I don't think a returns bag is designed to carry two routers, ideally we should've sent you two returns bags... but glad to hear the parcel tape came in handy. Let us know how your engineer visit goes next week.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
mcintoshuk
Rising Star

Well, OpenReach visited this morning and checked the line at the master socket and out in the street. OK at the junction box, failing on the pair as it goes into the master. "To use a technical term, it's gubbed" was his summary. Will probably need to dig a hole in the pavement for furtner investigation.

Ticket updated.

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @mcintoshuk 

We are awaiting the engineer notes to be updated - I've just checked and there is nothing there yet.

The ticket is in the right pool though so our faults guys will pick it up if one of us here doesn't get to it first and action whats been said. 

Thanks for letting us know. 

mcintoshuk
Rising Star

@MasterOfReality@He came again just a little while ago to try and trace the external cabling and mark out the excavation site. Then he said he was off to make a drawing, as the routing doesn't seem to match BT's drawing from the 70's when the house was built

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @mcintoshuk,

Thank you for letting us know that the engineer has been back and that they're carrying out some further investigations. This sounds like quite a complicated one!

I've checked and we've not received the engineer notes yet but it sounds like they are still looking into this. Either ourselves or the faults team will be back in touch once we've received this update to let you know what's happening with this fault moving forwards.

Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
mcintoshuk
Rising Star

The hole diggers have arrived!

mcintoshuk
Rising Star

This is becoming hilarious... Cheesy

1) OpenReach returned today, dug up a section of pavement and carried out more tests. Lo and behold they could not now find any fault. But it had rained overnight/this morning. This fits my (long held) theory, based on observations of performance variations over many years, that our line deteriorates when the weather is warm/dry and improves again when it gets cool/wet. Engineer is leaving ticket open and is hoping that the next few days will be dry enough to coax the fault back. He doesn't want to close it and then have it re-reported soon after.

2) After grumbling about my struggle to get two routers into one returns bag, today I received THREE returns bags. Only I've already sent the two surplus routers back, so have nothing to put in them! (Please, don't send me a returns bag to send back the returns bags or we could be here 'til eternity!)