cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS/Routing issues for the last 36 hours

davvy76
Grafter

Re: DNS/Routing issues for the last 36 hours

It's been at least a week, I complained in the gaming section about xbox issues last Saturday and spoke to support but there were a number of days before that where I couldn't connect and other people in the forums complaining of the same issue too. If the person at support has the correct info it could have been an issue since the 5th of June. (see attatchment)

evilsooty999
Dabbler

Any updates on this? Still can't play!

davenos
Rising Star

Well im now at the point where YouTube won't even stream in 144p without buffering, using my NowTv subscription or my Netflix subscription is impossible and i gave up on Xbox live a few days ago.

The new network is obviously not ready for use or has been very poorly implemented and the customer service has been shocking, i've just placed an order to move over to NowTV for phone and broadband as i don't have any faith that this issue will be fixed anytime soon.

ProGamerXB1
Dabbler

Just ring technical and ask for a STATIC IP. Turn your router off for 15mins, reconnect the Xbox and it will 100% fix this 👍
Afogg

I turned my router off for around 5 minutes. I contact Plusnet support just now who told me that I was no longer on the IP of the network where the routing / dns issue is. I've tried to replicate the issues I was having before and it is now fixed! My issue started around 30 hours ago and was fixed by turning my router off for a few minutes. I had done this previously but this time it worked. 

evilsooty999
Dabbler

@ProGamerXB1 wrote:
Just ring technical and ask for a STATIC IP. Turn your router off for 15mins, reconnect the Xbox and it will 100% fix this 👍

Did you get the static IP free? No way I'm paying for it.

Tsuanmi49
Grafter

How has this not been resolved yet its been 8 days with below expected quality of service. I simply cannot fathom how Plus Net got an award of which?

The silence is mind boggling.

ProGamerXB1
Dabbler

Yes a static IP is free? Why would it be a cost it's just configuration...I'm guessing you aren't sure what it means? You will have been assigned a NEW IP address which is causing the problem, Change the failing ip to a working one (they know which fail) and problem solved. Just ring them, literally will be sorted within half hour
evilsooty999
Dabbler

If you login to your account and go to Member Centre there's a tab called 'Add-Ons' at the the top where they are charging £5 to switch to a static IP. Other people in this thread have had to pay to do the switch so that's why I was wondering if you got yours for nothing.

If they are doing it for free now and that solves it I'll give them a call!

ProGamerXB1
Dabbler

I think if you requested it for your own reasons then there may be a charge, but they can't possibly charge you to a fix a fault caused by them Smiley you will be sorted my friend, just give the router a good 15-20mins fully powered down, don't rush Smiley
evilsooty999
Dabbler

Called and they wouldn't do it for free - wouldn't budge at all.

What an utter joke. Looking around at other providers now - terrible customer service.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Hi guys,

There have been myriad issues over the last week or so, so firstly apologies to those of you who have felt the brunt of them.

We're aware of some particularly difficult to diagnose issues affecting customers on the new network assigned an IP from the 51.6.0.0/16 range. It seems that using any DNS resolver other than Plusnet's is likely to cause issues (working IP's below for those that fancy manually specifying them):

In addition to this, there was a particularly nasty issue on Thursday evening/Friday morning that affected one of the switches in our network. That will have exacerbated things significantly. There was some emergency maintenance early hours of this morning to rectify that.

For transparency, here are some of the issues we've been working on of late:

Ref 93082
Metronet customers unable to access portal,webmail and inbound/outbound mail servers

Ref 93288
Data Transfer issues on 51.6..xx.xx

Ref 93131
Sky on demand/Xbox One not working for some customers

I'm also aware of an issue affecting SonicWALL VPN connectivity and access to certain VoIP services. Rest assured we're taking these issues seriously and are working hard to restore service.

Assigning a static IP to your account pushes your connection back through our L2TP network (rather than the new dedicated infrastructure) which is why it's 'fixing' things for some of you.

Appreciate everybodys' patience and I'll try and keep this thread current with any updates I get.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

evilsooty999
Dabbler

Thanks for the update, Bob.

Is it still official policy that those affected cannot be assigned static IP addressses for free? I'm on the brink of leaving now (looking at Virgin offers) due to the refusal of customer services to do it for free which is ridiculous as you should be doing everything you can to help customers get this fixed even if it's a dirty workaround like that.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

I don't want to say officially that we will. IPv4 is a fairly limited resource these days, and applying workarounds does little but mask the root cause.

Having said that, I recognise it's far from ideal being plagued with issues whilst we look into things. My inbox is probably going to regret this, but drop me a private message and I'll see if there's anything I can do to help next week when I'm back in the office.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

evilsooty999
Dabbler

Thanks - sent you a message. Can't see what's wrong with doing the workaround for those affected while still trying to fix the root cause and then reverting back afterwards.

I'm just baffled by their response as I am a tech support for an insurance company and we do all manner of dirty fixes short of a code change at the drop of a hat to ensure we don't lose a customer.