cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection dropping

Tim8191
Dabbler

Connection dropping

The Last few days I’ve been having connection cut outs a couple of times a day 4/5mins at a time usually. Cheers
17 REPLIES 17
OldFrank
Grafter

Re: Connection dropping

Hello Dabbler, I have been having the same problem with my laptop, my mobile phone and also on my firestick which were all on the 5Ghz band.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 257

@Tim8191 , @OldFrank  It may not be the same problem for both of you, but:-

For Community members to be able to help, information from these two sites, as screenshots:-

BT Broadband(obscuring your phone number) and BTW Performance Tester - Over a wired (ethernet) connection. Please report the 'ADDITIONAL DIAGNOSTICS', and sight of the HELP DESK tab from your Hub would be a start.

It may also be a good idea to report the results of a Quiet Line Test - dial 17070 option 2 from a (preferably corded) phone. After the confirmation of your phone number, there should be total silence apart from the regular 'Quiet Line Test' announcement. Any other noise - report a PHONE fault first.

If phone test is OK then take the front off your telephone master socket, you may need to remove two screws. In behind you will find the test socket. Plug a filter in here and connect that to your hub. If it’s still dropping out then report a fault at https://faults.plus.net.

John
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,601

Thanks for your post @Tim8191

I'm really sorry to see you're having connection issues. I've tested your line today and the tests aren't showing any issues, though I can see your broadband is dropping every day in the last week, which I've attached a picture of below:

I've arranged for the stability profile to be increased to try to artificially make things more stable. This change should start to take effect within 24-48 hours, but it may be around a week or so before you notice a difference. 

In the meantime, just to carry out some internal checks, is your router plugged into the master telephone socket with no extension cabling between the router and the socket? Also, would you be able to try plugging your router into the "test socket" explained Here? As this should rule out any internal wiring from causing an issue.

If you're still having issues following the above, let us know as we'll likely need to arrange an Openreach engineer to take a closer look at the problem. Let us know how it goes. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
OldFrank
Grafter

Hello jab, It is my Wifi that is dropping out on several devices

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Thanks for reaching out @OldFrank

A polite note for future reference, please create your own new topic if you'd like to share any issues that you have with your service, it just saves confusion on the forum.

Anyway, I've tested the line today, and as the visual radius below shows, the line itself is pretty stable, and your router is fairly new. Going forward, please can you have a read through our guide on how to get the best wireless connection at home? You'll find this here.

Looking through the account, it looks like we've already done some troubleshooting with the settings on your router, so if you're still having issues after going through that guide, we may need to arrange an QUBE engineer visit.

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
OldFrank
Grafter

Hello.

What is a QUBE engineer and what do they do ?? my WiFi connection is still dropping out on my laptop and smartphone.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi @OldFrank, they're our customer service engineers that can help with wireless issues amongst other things, before we look into doing that would it be OK to log into your router from here so I can run a wireless channel scan? I just needed to ask for your approval as it will cause the wireless signal to drop out temporarily for about two minutes.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
OldFrank
Grafter

Hello, Yes you can log in to my router to check it.

Many thanks.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Not a problem, I've just logged in and have changed the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz channels to 11 and 44, please see how things go with that today and do let me know if there's still an issue with disconnections or anything else, I'm hoping not though!

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
OldFrank
Grafter

Hello. Still having random dropouts, I have installed a program to monitor my connection. I will attatch the reports to this message.

Many thanks.

leesytommy

Hi,

I am also encountering a similar issue. In the past 1 or 2 weeks the connection started to become unstable and wifi signal has become weaker. There are very frequent disconnects on my iphones (once every ~5 mins) and my laptop/TV sometimes disconnects too. In other times the download/upload speed is significantly lower than before as well.

Currently using Hub One and firmware version is 4.7.5.1.83.8.289.1.3. Is there anyone who can help on this? Many thanks.
OldFrank
Grafter

Hello leestommy.

Ask plusnet for a new type 2 router. I have installed a free program called Net Uptime monitor which keeps a record of your disconnections, so that way you can prove to plusnet that you are having problems with your connection.

Good luck.

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 96

Thanks for getting back to us @OldFrank, I am sorry to hear the dropouts are still happening, is it occurring on both frequencies?

Hiya @leesytommy,

I am sorry you are experiencing an issue with your connection and for any inconvenience this is causing.

Can you confirm if the dropouts are solely occurring on wireless connections? and if so are you happy with me changing some settings in your router to help stabilise it?

Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
Tim8191
Dabbler

Hi I am still having daily drops maybe 2/3 minutes