Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection dropping and dreadful performance

FIXED
barnend
Hooked
Fixes: 1

Connection dropping and dreadful performance

Normally my connection is rock solid and has been for years. Noticed over the last week or so connection stopping and poor performance. Rebooting router appears to help but then it comes back again. Today it's been stopped a number of times. Nothing in the logs about it being disconnected.

I'm using a TPLink TD-WW970 and have been for many years without problems. Quite close to the cabinet.

5 REPLIES 5
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,601

Re: Connection dropping and dreadful performance

Thanks for your post @barnend

I'm really sorry to see you're having connection issues.

I've tested your line today and the tests aren't showing any issues with your modem getting a good download speed of around 53mbps, though I can see a few drops in the last week.

Are your devices plugged into your router using an ethernet cable or connecting to your router wirelessly? 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
barnend
Hooked

Yes ethernet for everything connecting to two switches for distribution. No configuration changes. The speed sometimes goes down to zero and then comes back with very bad performance then eventually goes back to normal. I've rebooted the router a few times to see if that helps so that might be the drops.

I've ordered a newer version (v4 instead of v2) of the W9970 incase that's getting a bit old. It's been very solid for many years.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,601

Thanks for getting back to me @barnend

No problem, let me know how it goes once your new router's arrived.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
barnend
Hooked

Fix

FYI I haven't had a single drop out with the new modem. 

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

That's great to see, thanks a lot for letting us know and do shout up if there's anything else we can help with.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team