Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Concerns raised to try and stop me moving to Plusnet

FIXED
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Concerns raised to put try and stop me moving to Plusnet

@Gandalf wrote:

It's useful for people with slower lines doing different type of activities at the same time that's saturating the connection.

I'm sorry, but that just isn't the case, because as you know I've been testing it.

Yes, the Pro Add-on is marginally less bad than no traffic prioritization, but is NOT even close to being a fix for the removal of full traffic prioritization that until recently was applied to all customer's connections.

Plusnet is the ONLY ISP that doesn't have ANY traffic prioritization by default !

Other ISPs may not advertise that they have prioritization, but I've been phoning around, and they ALL do.

Plusnet's unilateral removal of prioritization shows a complete lack of understanding of what it does, and why it is needed, particularly on 20CN ADSL connections like mine.

Knuppel

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

One problem was that many people saw Prioritisation as another name for throttling of their broadband.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think there is a fine line in peoples perception between prioritization and QoS,  where QoS (to the uninitiated) might seem like throttling - but does improve performance if done right,  but prioritization implies the best fit of traffic within the boundaries set by QoS.

QoS = minimised packet loss

QoS + traffic prioritization = optimum throughput

No QoS or traffic prioritization = chaos when maximum bandwidth exceeded

In my opinion,  Plusnet HAD for years probably the best traffic prioritization scheme of ANY UK ISP,

but now they've thrown out arguably their BEST FEATURE, they now have the WORST handling of saturated download bandwidth on the market.

dgilbert2
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@Gandalf I have had two texts to say my phone transfers over on the 1st December and broadband is the 2nd. Should they both be on the same day though to avoid broadband down time between 1st and 2nd?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

The text regarding your broadband likely indicates it’ll go live by 2nd 00:00:00. Though, it’s possibly clearer to think of it as 1st 23:59:59.

I’ll take a closer look when I’m in the office tomorrow.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

The text regarding your broadband likely indicates it’ll go live by 2nd 00:00:00. Though, it’s possibly clearer to think of it as 1st 23:59:59.

I was right. It should go live on the 1st. Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
dgilbert2
Aspiring Pro

@Gandalf perfect, thanks for checking this out for me. Yes, the text is confusing and I have since checked the "Order Tracker" on the website which says "Your broadband order should complete on 02nd Dec 2017 - After 12pm", just to add to the confusion Laugh

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Much confusion!

Sorry about that, I'll get it flagged up to the relevant team to investigate internally.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
dgilbert2
Aspiring Pro

Another step closer to activation Smiley

Got an email today to say the router had been dispatched and the postman delivered it an hour later - **1 hour** delivery - impressed Cheesy

On a more serious note, its a good job it was not delivered as per the email which stated in 3-5 days time, well beyond my activation date!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Got an email today to say it had been dispatched and the postman delivered it an hour later - **1 hour** delivery - impressed Cheesy

The postman must've been travelling through the warp. Cheesy

Though yeah seriously it's likely the notification arrived a little later than it should have done. Sad

On a more serious note, its a good job it was not delivered as per the email which stated in 3-5 days time, well beyond my activation date!

Whilst we advise to allow 3-5 days, routers are sent via Royal Mail 1st class and as you've experienced it's usually pretty speedy. Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
dgilbert2
Aspiring Pro

Overnight the phone swapped over to Plusnet from BT and the old fibre service stopped.

Just waiting patiently now for the Broadband activation today, hopefully not too much longer Smiley

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Just waiting patiently now for the Broadband activation today, hopefully not too much longer Smiley

Looks like it's all complete, but your account isn't yet active on our side.

I've just sped up the process now so you should be able to connect soon.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
dgilbert2
Aspiring Pro

@Gandalf your a star, thank you. Everything burst into life just after your post above. What service Smiley

I have some work to do and so will then post how things are performing but initially looking good Wink

dgilbert2
Aspiring Pro

Fix

I'm now fully up & running and in use, touch wood, there is no real difference to my old BT Infinity 2 service Smiley (We have a busy network with plenty of uploads, downloads, TV streaming and browsing going off.)

In terms of line stats for reference my last BT connection is below followed by the first from Plusnet. As expected, the DLM was reset so I lost my 3db down profile but I see no reason why this will not return over the coming days. I've kept using my BT Home Hub 5B with the Plusnet account details and so changeover was really straight forward.

As for the DLM reset, I can see the logic for a "fresh start" with a new ISP, but when when a line has a good history I don't know why its a BT Openreach policy to reset, especially when normally they are so reluctant to reset it! Oh well, overall I'm pleased anyway and look forward to the months ahead with Plusnet.

Thanks in particular to @Gandalf for your information and support during ordering and activation period, could not ask for more - well done Thumbs_Up If you have time, it would be interesting to see the GLA report for my line please.

Final BT.JPG

First Plusnet.JPG

dgilbert2
Aspiring Pro

Strange, just posted a first day update on how pleased I was and its gone off from some kind of approval Shocked