Did you mean: 

Broadband speed drop

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,601

Re: Broadband speed drop

Hi Mick,

There would be a wide range of factors to consider between your line and your neighbour's line.

For example, the port you're both on won't be the same, the route the line takes may be different along with the 'pair' quality. 

If your speed doesn't improve after the reset or if it drops again then we should arrange an engineer to investigate further. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
mickatmian
Dabbler

Hi Gandalf,

Speed has improved to 22.63mbps so I guess the reset has happened, but still slow for the line speed of 30+mbps.

A while ago a Plusnet engineer took me through a router software/firmware upgrade and the speed jumped to the high 20's.

Can that be tried again? or does it indicate a faulty router?

Thanks

Mick

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Mick,

I'm sorry to see your speed hasn't improved much.

I'm afraid there's nothing we can do with the router to change the speed it's sync'ing at. We may have helped you alter WiFi settings to try to help your 'throughput' but that wouldn't help here.

Where are you seeing a line speed of 30mbps? Testing your line's showing it's at 24.4mbps.

Unfortunately I don't think there's much more we can do, because the tests aren't showing any issues and you're within the estimated speed range of your line of between 22.4mbps to 34.7mbps shown Here so it's unlikely our suppliers or an Openreach engineer will investigate further. There's also nothing to suggest the router itself is causing this.

It may be worth filling out the fibre availability enquiry form on Openreach's site here https://www.openreach.com/forms/fibre-broadband-availability---customer-form to see if they have any plans with providing you with full fibre (FTTP)

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
mickatmian
Dabbler

@Gandalf

@Gandalf wrote:

Where are you seeing a line speed of 30mbps? 

This from post 9:

I have been with Plusnet for a number of years during which time I have had an untold number of Openreach engineers visit the last of which (3months ago) said a section of the copper line had been replaced, the line in was clear and around 31mbps, He also checked my house wiring, box etc no faults, but suspected the router was faulty. Plusnet insisted it was not faulty and reset it from their end which gave me a speed of 28+mbps so I guess the Plusnet engineer was correct. when the router speed dropped to 20ish mbps I contacted Plusnet and was told the line speed was showing 31mbps but as I was still getting more than my 15mbps guaranteed speed they would not do anything! Pathetic really.

At least with the current speed (24.42mbps) I can watch Netflix in 4k without dropouts so reasonably satisfied.

Thanks for your help.

Mick

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to me Mick,

If the engineer was getting 31mbps then this would likely be at the cabinet, so your router would get a lower speed. 

While I appreciate the frustration, as your speed is within our suppliers expectations for your line, there really isn't much more we can do as it's likely a further engineer visit will say the same thing or similar.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet