Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband speed drop

mickatmian
Dabbler

Broadband speed drop

Hi,

3 months ago my broadband speed was 28mbps it has been steady at around 20+mbps for approximately the last 2 months, since accepting a new contract a few days ago it has dropped below 18mbps. I have reset the router, powered off for a few minutes no change. Can you have a look please?.

Mick

19 REPLIES 19
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Broadband speed drop

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to Fibre

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

@mickatmian Welcome to the forums. Hopefully one of the Help Team will pick this up at some point, but:

For Community members to be able to help, information from these two sites:-

BT Broadband(obscuring your phone number) and BTW Performance Tester - Over a wired (ethernet) connection please report the 'Additional Diagnostics', and sight of the Help Desk tab would be a start.

It may also be a good idea to report the results of a Quiet Line Test - dial 17070 option 2 from a (preferably corded) phone. After the confirmation of you phone number, there should be total silence apart from the regular 'Quiet Line Test' announcement. Any other noise - report a PHONE fault first.

John
mickatmian
Dabbler

Thanks jab 1

BTW Performance tester 17.57mbps download 6.16 upload no faults showing today but was showing faults a couple of days ago.

Quite line ok.

Line tester?

Telephone Number 
Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Handback
Threshold(Mbps)
WBC FTTC Availability Date WBC SOGEA Availability Date Left in Jumper
High Low High Low        
VDSL Range A (Clean) help 34.7 22.4 7.1 5 20 Available Available --
VDSL Range B (Impacted) help 34 20 7 4.7 16.5 Available Available --
Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range (Mbps) Availability Date FTTP Install Process
FTTP on Demand 330 50 -- Available --
ADSL Products Downstream Line Rate (Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) ADSL Availability Date Left in Jumper
WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 2.5 -- 1 to 4 Available --
WBC ADSL2+ Annex M Up to 2.5 Up to 0.5 1 to 4 Available --
ADSL Max Up to 2 -- 1 to 3.5 Available --
WBC Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available --
Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available --
SOADSL Products Downstream Line Rate (Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) WBC SOADSL Availability Date Left in Jumper
WBC SOADSL 2+ Up to 2.5 -- 1 to 4 -- --
SOADSL Max Up to 2 -- 1 to 4 -- --
SOADSL Fixed Rate Up to 1 -- 1 to 3.5 -- --
Observed Speeds VDSL
Max Observed Downstream Speed 19.99
Max Observed Upstream Speed 6.33
Observed Date 2021-12-10
Other Offerings Availability Date
VDSL Multicast Available
ADSL Multicast Available
Premise Environment Status
Bridge Tap N
VRI N
NTE FacePlate N
Last Test Date 01-12-2021
Exchange Product Restrictions Status
FTTP Priority Exchange N
WLR Withdrawal N
SOADSL Restriction Y

The exchange is not in a current fibre priority programme

Thanks for looking

Mick

mickatmian
Dabbler

Not sure what happened but I posted the requested information around 4hrs ago, but it's not showing.

Can someone look please?

Mick

jab1
Legend

@mickatmian Wonder if it's been caught by the 'spam filter' - it happens sometimes, maybe @Strat or @dvorak  can check?

John
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Message 4 above released from Auto Spam Filter.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
jab1
Legend

@mickatmian Thanks for those details, although a screenshot of the BTW Performance Tester is a little more informative than just posting the figures you have - there is detail there which can be useful.

Don't understand your Line tester? query, and you have missed the Hub Help Desk page which is also very useful.

You are obviously a long way from the VDSL box, as you were from the exchange. Are you very rural?

John
mickatmian
Dabbler

@JAB 1

I am approximately 1k from the VDSL box (fibre box?) and 4k from the exchange so yes very rural. For information my neighbour 80 M further from the box almost never has a problem and constant speed around 24mbps he is with BT not that it should make a difference.

For information.

I have been with Plusnet for a number of years during which time I have had an untold number of Openreach engineers visit the last of which (3months ago) said a section of the copper line had been replaced, the line in was clear and around 31mbps, He also checked my house wiring, box etc no faults, but suspected the router was faulty. Plusnet insisted it was not faulty and reset it from their end which gave me a speed of 28+mbps so I guess the Plusnet engineer was correct. when the router speed dropped to 20ish mbps I contacted Plusnet and was told the line speed was showing 31mbps but as I was still getting more than my 15mbps guaranteed speed they would not do anything! Pathetic really.

I have reset the Hub 1 router etc. before posting. Not sure if it needs a firmware/software update.

I mistakenly? thought the test you asked for was a line test sorry.

Thanks for your help

Mick

As requested

Broadband-1.png

jab1
Legend

Mick, looking at that BTW report above, you should really be getting around the 30Mb/s mark. Distance from the exchange is irrelevant, but over half a mile from the cab will reduce your speeds. Can't remember the distance/speed reduction correlation off the top unfortunately.

The final piece of the jigsaw - for non-PN people to help - is your Hubs Help Desk page - the picture below should help you find it.

HubOneTroubleshootingHelpDesk.png

John
mickatmian
Dabbler

Thanks John.

Will try your suggestion later as F1 has just started.

Mick

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for your post @mickatmian

I'm sorry to see you're having speed issues. I've tested your line today and the tests aren't showing definitive causes for this but I can see your speed is artificially restricted to 20mbps by automated software at the cabinet (the green box in the road) so I've arranged for your line to be reset.

This should go through within 3 working days and you should see an improvement afterwards.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
mickatmian
Dabbler

Thanks Gandalf

For information the last Openreach engineer said the line was showing clear and removed the cap (around 3 months ago) which gave me a speed around 29mbps so not sure how the cap is back to 20mbps.

Will see what happens.

Mick

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Hello @mickatmian

DLM is automatic, it's software which will cap the line if it finds that it's unstable. This will explain why the cap was lifted, but has been put back on. If DLM detects quite a few drops on the line, it'll slow it down to preserve stability. Smiley

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
mickatmian
Dabbler

Hi Adam,

Yes I am aware of that, but a drop from 29mbps to 17mbps is unacceptable. Neither does it explain why my neighbour (80M) further from the cabinet has a constant speed around 24mbps.

Mick