cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband keeps dropping out.

timbobbill
Dabbler

Re: Broadband keeps dropping out.

No its not. It is NOT connected to anything and it doesn't explain why the phone is dead.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

@Mustrum wrote:

Not a router John, just a Home Plug or whatever you want to call them.

Ooops, my mistake, but  seeing very little in that photo, I missed the filter and other cable. Not withstanding that, the modem/router appears to be connected to a rather unsafe looking extension - or am I wrong again? - difficult to tell.

John
adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Hi @timbobbill 

all that photo really shows is that you've taken off the face plate, we can't see what's going on behind it. Nonetheless, as you're aware, @Gandalf has raised a new fault with Openreach, as his line test showed a possible fault at the exchange. Let's hang fire until this particular fault has been addressed, and we'll know more about what further steps to take then.

We'll dig deeper into your internal setup if Openreach advise they'd like to send an engineer out, as we would not want you to be charged the £65.00 call out fee if the fault was found to be internal.

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
timbobbill
Dabbler

It is not an extension socket. It's the only one in the house and has been like that for over 30 years!   The socket is of course, usually screwed to the back box.  I just removed it to show you what an antique it is!  Never had any problems with it when using SKY and before that TalkTalk.  Still doesn't explain the dead phone.

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

@timbobbill 

The fact that we've located a potential fault at the exchange may explain issues with your phone service. We'd only need to worry about your internal setup if Openreach are wanting to send out an engineer. For now, the issues appear to be external.

As I've said, @Gandalf has raised this issue with Openreach, and we've been provided with an ERT of 07/06/2021. Our Technical Support Team will review the fault on this date and will keep you updated. Apologies for the inconvenience caused in the meantime though.

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
jab1
Legend

@timbobbill wrote:

It is not an extension socket. It's the only one in the house and has been like that for over 30 years!   The socket is of course, usually screwed to the back box.  I just removed it to show you what an antique it is!  Never had any problems with it when using SKY and before that TalkTalk.  Still doesn't explain the dead phone.

Okay, my apologies. If the exchange work doesn't fix the problem and you need an engineer visit, it would be good if you could get it modernised, but looking at the available space, that looks unlikely.

John
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

@timbobbill  If an OR engineer were to visit, the first thing they would do is replace that socket with a modern filtered one - as it is the Master Socket, and their demarcation point there would not be any charge.

It would however be worth moving that Home Plug, away from the master socket, they are known to emit frequencies that can reduce broadband speeds - just something to consider if you want to get the highest speeds.

jab1
Legend

@Mustrum  - Is there enough room there to install a 5C socket? - looks a tight fit to me.

John
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

@jab1  There is a whole wall there to put it on! 😀

But I agree, it would not look as neat as the current fitment.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 161

A couple of observations...

1. That is not a modern NTE phone socket, it would help for it to be replaced
  2. The incoming line looks like very old non-twisted-pair cabling which is not ideal for VDSL
  3. The swap from SKY / Talk Talk requires changes to the in-exchange wiring which is not always done properly by BTOR ... which most probably explains why what worked with Sky is not working now ... and is nothing to do with Plusnet themselves

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

timbobbill
Dabbler

The existing socket is a standard size 85x85 with 6cm screw centres.