cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best package latency problems.

amandashannon66
Dabbler

Best package latency problems.

Hi guys im on the 66mb unlimited fibre extra and I currently get 37mb down 7 up. 

About a month ago I started having big problems with latency spikes whilst playing games online. (see attachment this was connected to the router directly.)I am using a poweline adapter connected thru an ethernet cable. These spikes makes online gaming impossible. 

I have had 2 engineers around, one fixed my telephone wire that was apparently broken. This added around 5mb down. This still didn't fix it so they sent another one around and he changed the old wires. 

A big thing to note is that these problems only start when the second computer is turned on. These spikes occur when he is watching youtube and browsing reddit. With the package I brought I thought for sure this could handle youtube 480p quality vids and gaming at the same time but that's for from the case. Im wondering if there is any way I can use software to see how much bandwith a pc is taking. I can also go onto the other computer if it would be useful to check anything on there.

The customer services told me there is nothing they can do. 

I appreciate  any replies im very desperate Cheesy

3 REPLIES 3
Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 19

Re: Best package latency problems.

Hi there @amandashannon66

Firstly, when you mention this problem occurs only when the second computer is on indicates that there may be an issue with something on the local network.

Your network is only as good as the weakest connection so it may be worth seeing if the problem is present when the second computer is connected by itself.

Your line estimates are between 40 and 56Mbps. Upon testing your connection I can see you're currently syncing at 42.1Mbps so something doesn't seem right. Although you could be losing a few Mb with the addition of the power line adapter.

Alternatively, network wise, it may be the router. It looks like we've arranged to send out a new router today which should arrive within the next 3-5 working days.

If this doesn't solve the issue, it may be worth running a trace route test when you're experiencing the issue. This should highlight where the hops are failing.

Let us know how it goes with the new router and if there's any further problems can you add on the trace route test results.

Given you have already provided a ping test, you sound like you know what you're doing but If you're unsure how to do a trace route:

Open the Start menu.
Click Run.
To open the command line interface, type cmd and then click OK.
At the command line prompt, type:  tracert example.com (use any web site)
Press Enter.

amandashannon66
Dabbler

thanks for your reply. if the new router does not work do you think a super router would fix it? I dont want to spend 200 quid on somthing that dosent work.

Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 19

Hey @amandashannon66

Before going anywhere near spending silly money on alternative hardware I'd highly recommend trying the trace route I advised previously.

This should flag any network hops that are causing the problem. 

If the replacement router doesn't fix this I'd be turning my attention away from a router issue.