cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL to VDSL (FTTC) issues

Thumper
Dabbler

ADSL to VDSL (FTTC) issues

Having change from an ADSL service to a VDSL service, I quickly became aware of issues with the service I was receiving.

My Down Load speed was less than my contracted speed of 16.6 Mbps and also my Minimum Guaranteed Speed of 11.9Mbps as displayed in my "Your broadband service" window in my Broadband page in the Member Centre.

I notified Customer Service and a Question was raised.

The first visit by an OR engineer resulted in the router being moved and plugged into the master socket. Service improved but did not last.

The next visit by an OR engineer resulted in the router being declared faulty and a replacement being ordered.

The router was changed and it was then I decided to keep track of the Down Load speeds I was experiencing.

Initially the speed improved but fell back over night

It was then that I learnt that I needed to give the router time to settle down.

While the router took its time to settle down, the Current Line Speed (Download) as displayed in "Your broadband service" window fluctuated between 10.2Mbps and 24.8Mbps and the corresponding Down Load Speeds also fluctuated.

After the router had settled down I discovered the BTW Performance Tester and IP Profile.

Since the 9th of August, I have monitored the following:

the Current Line Speed (Download) as displayed in "Your broadband service" window

the IP Profile for my Down Load line

BTW Speed Test (Down)

BTW Speed Test (Up)

Comms: 

In the first week to the 15th of August, Plusnet provided 3 days of acceptable service.

I added the weeks figures to the open question on the 16th and received a call from Faults the following day, insisting that an OR engineer calls round to check my end of the line.

I agreed to a Tuesday PM visit and am still waiting for someone to make an appearance.

I am continuing to monitor.

7 REPLIES 7
Thumper
Dabbler

Re: ADSL to VDSL (FTTC) issues

Have received an apology for the missed engineer visit and an explanation as to the fault.

There appears to be an issue with our suppliers systems which has caused the fault to become stuck.
This is currently being resolved, however as such we will require further availability.

Does anyone know what "we will require further availability" mean?

Thanks in advance

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

@Thumper wrote:

Does anyone know what "we will require further availability" mean?

We will require you to be available for a further engineer appointment.

Welcome to the forum. 🙂

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
Thumper
Dabbler

Thanks for the answer to my question.

I have a lot to learn re: the language used by the techies at Plusnet.

Why they need me to be available when the issue with their suppliers systems is resolved confuses me.

Surely when the issue is resolved, all that Plusnet needs to do is inform me and then I'll let them know what the service looks like at my end.

Also thanks for the welcome.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 396

The issue with suppliers system is in relation to booking an engineer. Once that issue is resolved they will still need to rebook an engineer to investigate the fault.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Thumper
Dabbler

Thanks for the response.

Now looking forward to hearing from Plusnet with a resolution to my issues that have risen after changing from a ADSL contract to a VDSL one.

I am beginning to think that paying for a service which is not forthcoming is not on and a refund should be offered for those days that do not meet the contracted minimum level.

dws1900
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Request a GEA test, publish it here for advice.

Thumper
Dabbler

Good news.

Acceptable Service has been restored.

For how long, only time will tell !!!

Have got in the habit of checking level of service first thing in the morning and last thing in the evening.

Interesting variations seen.

Now back to the spreadsheet.