reverse dns

I want to remove from my reverse dns my user id .Please do the needful

12 REPLIES 12
pvmb
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: reverse dns

...This is going to be 'interesting' 🙂

As your Plusnet username is unfortunately just THERE, plus(!) used in your Plusnet email account (if you have one). As well as the fact that on the "new Plusnet network" (whatever that is) assigned IP addresses seem to be very sticky.

Try it for yourself: https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

@pvmb  if you have a dynamic IP (the normal situation) then your rDNS will be something like <ipaddress>.dyn.plus.net. I suspect the problem @cochin007  is trying to address, is that when you have a static IP , the default rDNS is <username>.plus.com. This can be changed on request either to your domain(if you have one) or <ipaddress>.plus.com

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

cochin007
Grafter
Fixes: 1

??/who will change it to ip address because then atleast my user name is not visible????.. Easy for many attacks using the user name if its same as plusnet user name

pvmb
Aspiring Pro

...Then, if what you say is accurate, I do mysteriously appear to possibly have a STATIC IP address!

I raised this matter myself here, some while ago. The 'answer' I was given then was that with the "new Plusnet network", IP addresses were taken from a much smaller pool and this COULD give the impression of a static IP address in some circumstances. So, what is it? It seems I will have to raise this matter again on here as a query - including investigating it myself at my end.

Ironically - after several years of a really troublesome ADSL connection in the past - the problems seemed largely sorted, or manageable from my end, leading to my ADSL connection persisting over time. This means having the same IP address all the time is no surprise, as there is rarely a reboot!

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@cochin007  login to the member centre and raise a ticket here https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=wizard&page=22987&wizard_id=38 requesting that your rDNS be set to ipaddress.plus.com

Then post back on here with the ticket number so that if one of the Help team spots it they can pick up the ticket easily.

@pvmb your are correct, dynamic IP these days are 'sticky' in that ther are allocated locally from smaller pools. AFAIK the pools they are allocated from are still classed as dynamic and so will have rDNS as ip.dyn.plus.net. If yours is <username>.plus.com then that suggest you do have a static IP. I've had a static IP since the days of dial-up when it was required if you wanted access from more than one phone number.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

pvmb
Aspiring Pro

I'm back!

11.31 - IP aa.bb.cc.dd <username>.plus.com

Router reboot:

11.41 - IP aa.bb.cc.dd <username>.plus.com

So yes, as I suspected and reported on here months ago, I DO have a static IP address. I don't know how or why - I thought you had to pay for a static IP?

I will raise it etc. Thank you MisterW.

Query Ref: 204960543

cochin007
Grafter

Its £5 for activation . I changed from Talktalk to plusnet becase they dont offer this....They dont have a clue whats Static IP ....Many ISP dont even know what this is...

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@pvmb you do have to pay a one-off fee these days but they were free at one time. If you've had  one for a while then it would have  been retained through any recontract or product change

pvmb
Aspiring Pro

...It would have only been from the start of my last contract, or I would have surely noticed it previously. Particularly with all the disconnections, reconnections and reboots I used to experience!

I hope I wasn't charged £5 at that time.

pvmb
Aspiring Pro

pvmb
Aspiring Pro

I've now closed my ticket above. I think we all need a lot more information on this situation.

cochin007
Grafter

I have raised ticket 204960395.Please do the needful