cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wordpress source hacked

pierre_pierre
Grafter

Wordpress source hacked

http://www.fiercecio.com/techwatch/story/wordpresscom-hacked-source-code-potentially-exposed/2011-04...
Automattic, the company behind WordPress.com has disclosed that several of its servers have been breached. In a blog post on the company's official blog, founding developer Matt Mullenweg wrote: "Automattic had a low-level (root) break-in to several of our servers, and potentially anything on those servers could have been revealed."
4 REPLIES 4
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Re: Wordpress source hacked

wordpress.com != wordpress.org
Gabe
Grafter

Quote from: Ben
wordpress.com != wordpress.org

Grin
pierre_pierre
Grafter

not being as well versed as Gabe and Ben Brown, the intricacies  went over my head, I dont run a blog so had to look it up on Wiki
the last Comment is of interest

WordPress.com is a weblog hosting provider owned by Automattic which opened to beta testers on August 8, 2005 and opened to the public on November 21, 2005. It is powered by the open source WordPress software.[2] It is financially supported via paid upgrades, "VIP" services and limited Google Adsense advertising.
The site was initially launched as an invitation-only service, although at one stage, accounts were also available to users of the Flock web browser.[3][4] There are 13.9 million individual blogs with the service as of September 2010.[5]
Registration is not required to read or comment on weblogs hosted on the site, except if chosen by the blog owner. Registration is required to own or post in a weblog. All the basic and original features of the site are free-to-use. However, some features (such as a CSS editor, domain mapping, and storage upgrades) are available as paid options.[6]
In September 2010, it was announced that Windows Live Spaces, Microsoft's blogging service, would be closing, and that Microsoft would instead be partnering with WordPress.com for blogging services.[7]
Gabe
Grafter

Sorry Pierre, I wasn't sniping at you, just grinning at Ben's shorthand. I think the point being made was not that it doesn't affect anyone, just that it's not a new threat to users of the open-source package on other platforms.
Gabe