cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When will PlusNet begin supporting IPV6?

WolfBaginski
Hooked

Re: When will PlusNet begin supporting IPV6?

At the moment, I have a static IPv4 address from Plusnet, which is useful for a few things. That takes me back to my earliest internet days, with Demon Internet on dial-up.

I expect to be moving this summer, so new set-up, and I am not sure if Plusnet would be a good choice without IPv6, but without that forcing my hand, I'm happy with what I have. And that likely move makes me a bad test subject. I would like some sort of reliable timetable for any change.

And I can quite understand how the past year has completely messed up any company's plans. Just an amendment to that web-page covering that would at least show the company was still alive. I have run into an uncomfortable number of companies that can't manage that, and it does look as if the tech industry has too many people who are only able to talk with machines.

What I have would be a little sluggish for a family. Some of the longer-term plans, from BT and others, would make a big difference to those cases. But IPv6 has been around for so long, about 25 years, that I have to wonder why it isn't here yet. The Réseaux IP Européens Network Coordination Centre has run out of IPv4 addresses.

snadge
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 6

i too will be leaving when my contract is up as a lot of sites now are moving to IPv6 only and on PlusNet you wont be able to connect to or use these sites

pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@dvorak wrote:
I think most customers would prefer an FTTP or G Fast offering ahead of IPv6.

Hmm, access part of the Internet quickly or access all of the internet at the same speed as now - Tough call 😀

stevepork

Because that's exactly how it works 😂

Plusnet engineers are too busy to install fibre cables on the streets /s

It's pure laziness at this point.
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

@stevepork IPV6 has nothing to do with any cables of any sort, it is an 'Internet Protocol' - i.e. the numerical identity behind the 'site names' you see on your browser (slightly simplified - it is a bit more complicated), 'Plusnet engineers' do not install any cables anywhere - that is down to Openreach, a totally separate organisation who cable for all ISPs who use the BT network.

The reason for the delay in implementation is the amount of work involved in reconfiguring everything - does BT Broadband offer IPV6?

John
stevepork

I think you missed the /s there mate.
jab1
Legend

Didn't 'miss it' - just didn't/don't understand it - presumably some internet 'shorthand'?

Ah - 'sarcasm'

John
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Deleted

pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

jab1
Legend

@pwatson - sorry, I wasn't aware of that as I had no reason to worry about it - and still don't - never found a site I've looked for that has said 'sorry - IPV6 enabled users only' yet.

John
ezplanet
Dabbler

This is funny! 😂

You wouldn't even be able to know the existence of IPV6 only websites, without IPV6!

jab1
Legend

@ezplanet Hilarious - but don't get the significance of your comment. Mind you, it is getting a bit late.

John