cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WHOIS Privacy

MartyPop
Rising Star

WHOIS Privacy

I've always been under the impression that the only way of hiding a private individuals address details on .uk domains from a WHOIS lookup is to take advantage of Nominet's free Whois Opt-Out service.
However, I've just stumbled across a registrar who appears to be offering complete WHOIS Privacy on .uk domains. I already knew this was available on gTLD's but this is the first time I've seen it advertised for .uk domains. I've gone round a number of registrars, none of whom are offering the service for .uk domains. Read this for full details: https://www.123-reg.co.uk/domain-names/privacy.shtml
Their exception list implies that it's available for .uk domains, is this legal?
2 REPLIES 2
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: WHOIS Privacy

It is rubbish
As a private individual you can limit it to a name only using the standard registration system
Registrant type:
UK Individual
Registrant's address:
The registrant is a non-trading individual who has opted to have their
address omitted from the WHOIS service.
MartyPop
Rising Star

Re: WHOIS Privacy

Yes, as a private individual that's perfectly true but when you purchase their WHOIS Privacy service, the registrant is listed as "Identity Protect Limited" along with their address details. It makes it look as though the registrant is a business when in fact, it isn't. That's why I was asking is this legal? See attached screenshot which I grabbed off the 123-Reg site - makes for very interesting reading.