cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VoIP suppliers?

G6JPG-0
Rising Star

VoIP suppliers?

Is there a table/list of VoIP suppliers anywhere? I mean companies who will supply VoIP alone, though that company may also supply other services. So far I am aware of:

• A&A (Andrews & Arnold): seem to be the default choice people mention here. I was aware of them years ago as a very expensive broadband-type service provider, though the Rolls-Royce of such providers - but who did not provide ordinary 'phone (though would do the "line rental" part needed); however, recent discussions here suggest they're getting into the VoIP market, at competitive rates.

• voipfone: not often mentioned, but those that do are happy with them. Prices moderately comparable with A&A.

• FREEOLA - mentioned by richard_25.

• I know BT and Zen do VoIP _with_ broadband, but I don't know if they offer it on its own; recent posts seem to imply BT at least don't.

Who else should we add to the list? Is there anywhere that has done comparative reviews - ideally comparing customer service, reliability etc. (has WHICH for example), but at least comparing prices? It's going to be a matter of growing interest as people realise they need it.

29 REPLIES 29
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Re: VoIP suppliers?

@G6JPG-0 

A&A appear to be reasonably priced for porting and hosting a telephone number, but once you've decided who to port your number to, you don't necessarily have to use that company for making outgoing calls (as long as you don't limit yourself by choosing VoIP kit which can only handle one, or maybe two, SIP accounts).

There are plenty of 'cheap plans' available for outgoing calls which don't even need a monthly contract, so no ongoing payments to consider.

I've not checked recently but there are a host of examples at the link below, and they allow you to set your CLI to any number you 'own'.  I've used several of these over the years I've been using VoIP and currently have two of them in regular use.

e.g. DiscountVoip charges a third of a penny per minute to UK mobiles.

http://www.voip-comparison.com/betamax

Batfrog
Aspiring Pro

G6JPG-0 Couldn’t agree more. Unfortunately there doesn’t seem to be a ‘compare the market’ type website that I can find. That said, there’s quite a bit of info here:

https://uk.pcmag.com/internet-telephony-voip/41717/the-best-business-voip-providers

At present I’m using ‘Virtual Landline’, based in Poole which is really a business supplier although they do accept ‘single users’ and have an (effectively) unlimited calls package for £8.75 per month on a rolling monthly basis. One big advantage is that they do not charge for porting (Dec ’23) and ported my number from Plusnet no problem at all in less than 2 weeks. I believe if you leave in under 6 months they then charge for porting. I did have an issue of my own making which they rapidly sorted out. Worth a look anyway.

In the past I have had a couple of trials with A&A and as everyone says they are excellent if a little pricey !

catshill1
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I’ve been with Voipfone for years. Very reliable, helpful/fast support and good price. 

G6JPG-0
Rising Star

you don't necessarily have to use that company for making outgoing calls (as long as you don't limit yourself by choosing VoIP kit which can only handle one, or maybe two, SIP accounts).

1. Can you still appear to be calling "from" your number?

2. Is VoIP kit (either ATA or standalone 'phones) that is limited to only one account the default, common, or rare? Is it easy to tell?

Thanks also to Batfrog for your link and catshill1 for another endorsement of voipfone. (So far, I've seen three or four such. For a company that doesn't advertise, I think that's probably quite good - though of course people with any company are less likely to knock it unless it's terrible.)

This is definitely a thread I will have to return to when the time comes!

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 416

1. Can you still appear to be calling "from" your number?

Yes. For instance I use localphone https://www.localphone.com/ on a PAYG account basis. You can register a cli to be used for outgoing calls ( in fact you can register multiple cli and select which is to be used ). You have to demonstrate you 'own' the number but this usually just involves replying to a callback. At home, my incoming numbers are with Sipgate but my outgoing calls go via Localphone. In the office, the incoming numbers are with A & A but again, outgoing is via Localphone. Its done this way primarily because localphone rates are cheaper.

2. Is VoIP kit (either ATA or standalone 'phones) that is limited to only one account the default, common, or rare? Is it easy to tell?

The Grandstream ATAs tend to only support one account per FXS port. Some IP phones will support mutiple accounts. The problem is that if it supports multiple accounts, then you need some form of selection or dialplan to decide which account to use for outgoing calls!. Personally I use a Gigaset N300 at home, it supports up to 6 accounts and a dialplan. In the office I use Freepbx/Asterisk which has an extremely comprehensive outgoing routes/dialplan functionality.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

nicwigan

I'm using VOIPFONE, chose them because they seem quite flexible and reasonable value.

I recently switched to full fibre, before that I had plusnet copper ADSL and sky copper ADSL (yes two copper phone lines) and wanted to keep both numbers.

the sky was easy to port over as the service was still in place when i transitioned to full fibre.

the plusnet was problematic, as it started when i start the port of the number the broadband and phone would cease, i delayed it until the full fibre switch was completed. when i applied to port THAT number it cane back "number not in use" all credit to the voipfone people they aregued the point (I supplied evidence of my number at plusnet) and eventually they ported the number over. you have 30 days but plusnet were quite unhelpful.

so i'd recommend voipfone. i'm using a pair of grandstream ht801's but beware some of the second hand ones are locked to providers.

i am saving money now despite going for the 500/75 product from plusnet.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

but plusnet were quite unhelpful

Plusnet have nothing to do with the number port, its a Gaining provider led process, it's all down to the voip provider dealing with the number range holder which is not Plusnet. In addition OFCOM rules prevent the losing supplier communicating with the gaining one.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,485

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Home Phone to Everything Else

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
nicwigan

so who held the number? i was told (by an insider) it passes back to the exchange pool, and irretrievable

sorry, i probably need to be a little clearer. my previous plusnet product was phone and broadband, so plusnet took over my landlline from BT, so they owned the number as they were billing me for it.

when transferring my sky to voipfone, i supplied my latest sky bill, that was sufficient.

when attempting to port my plusnet copper number over to voipfone along with my bill details showing the number, it came back rejected "number not in use". now, that makes sense as the service was discontinued when the fibre went in.

so i called plusnet and they were very dismissive, its gone, it's not in use. "but i need to port it over and i have 30 days" we can't help they said, it's not our number. previous 'owner' was bt of course but many years ago.

so, back to voipfone, they tried again, rejected again, voipfone said please provide details of when you confirmed the product witch with plusnet, which i did, well within the 30 days, then a few days later i got the message the request was accepted and i had a date the number would come over to voipfone, and it did.

so, 2 rejected porting requests, and a phone call where i was told nothing could be done, then i presume voipfone said the 30 days are not up yet, and plusnet gave in and let the number be ported.. plusnet would have been helpful if they said we'll look into it, or track down the porting request and give advice how it could be progressed, but it was more, get off the phone you're wasting my time. your copper has gone get over it. that was the impression they left me with after the phone call.

i'm posting this because others are probably in a similar position, how do i keep my number but move to fttp when the porting specifically states the action will discontinue an ADSL service as well as the number. the 30 day is supposed to allow that bridge but it appeared at first (and second) attempt that the number has to be live and active to enable a port.

voipfone were very helpful in initial chats about using their service and the porting procedure. pac codes for mobiles have been around a while now, and work (mostly - another discussion another time) so why should it be different for landline numbers?

I'm possibly not a regular case, having 2 landlines but back in the day i had ISDN aka home highway in addition to a second line for ADSL and voice. if anyone has successful plusnet number porting stories i'd be interested to know what went right to maybe show if i did something wrong.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

so i called plusnet and they were very dismissive, its gone, it's not in use. "but i need to port it over and i have 30 days" we can't help they said, it's not our number. previous 'owner' was bt of course but many years ago.

correct, when the number is ceased , it reverts back to the range holder i.e the original issuer. . Most likely in your case this was BT, in fact even numbers issued by Plusnet are actually owned by BT since Plusnet operate under the BT group CPUID communication provider userid

The problem with porting a ceased number is that most voip providers have an automated porting system, which under these circumstances will return ' number not in service'. They then have to revert to a manual process to contact the range holder to release the number. They don't like doing this as it takes time and effort and costs money. Often , until pushed and told it's an OFCOM regulation, they will attempt to blame others and only when pressured will they go through the manual porting process

G6JPG-0
Rising Star

Why has this thread been moved? I would have thought it was particularly relevant to Home Phone. Yes, I know it isn't "home phone via copper wires", but since that's ceasing (and especially as PlusNet aren't offering VoIP), people will be interested there.

nicwigan

As per G6JPG-0 response, this IS relevant to home phone users, it affected me, and people need to know, and where to find information and learn from the experiences of those going though this to aoid them having the same problems.

mechanic123
Aspiring Pro

@MisterW wrote:

but plusnet were quite unhelpful

Plusnet have nothing to do with the number port, its a Gaining provider led process, it's all down to the voip provider dealing with the number range holder which is not Plusnet. In addition OFCOM rules prevent the losing supplier communicating with the gaining one.

Users shouldn't be tasked with carrying out things that the supplier has under their control. If they can't supply a working system to their customer they should look elsewhere, there is a breach of contract somewhere.

mechanic123
Aspiring Pro

@G6JPG-0 wrote:

Why has this thread been moved? I would have thought it was particularly relevant to Home Phone. Yes, I know it isn't "home phone via copper wires", but since that's ceasing (and especially as PlusNet aren't offering VoIP), people will be interested there.

This is an example of the confusion stemming from the Plusnet forum admin refusing to setup a particular group home for all these issues and problems surrounding the great phone turnoff of 2025 (now put off to 2026?)