Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to connect to ccgi/MySQL database

megapixel
Grafter

Unable to connect to ccgi/MySQL database

Hi,

I am using The Next Generation (TNG) genealogy software which relies on mySQL database.

I've been running it for years without a hitch but for some unknown reason I can no longer connect to it: "TNG is not communicating with your database". I've asked Help & Support but I've been told "...KBMS does not advise raising a task for such an issue", which is no help at all! Grateful for any suggestions. Thanks.

12 REPLIES 12
jtonline
Grafter

Re: Unable to connect to ccgi/MySQL database

Good luck with getting any help with this from Plusnet.  The MySQL database on my ccgi webspace has gone missing and I raised a topic in the Everything Else forum a week ago asking if it could be reinstated from a backup, but so far have got nowhere.

megapixel
Grafter

Thanks for the reply although that doesn't sound very reassuring! I'm waiting for another reply from Help & Support with, I hope, some better news.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

I'll try and take a look at this next week folks if it's still not been sorted by then. It sounds like a ticket needs raising with Hostopia (second line support should be able to do this mind you). I'll also question the situation at a more senior level seeing that the issue seems to have affected more than just one person...

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

megapixel
Grafter

Thank you.

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Moderators Note
This topic has been moved from Tech Help to Everything Else as per PN request.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Vega
Rising Star

I'll third this. My database has completely disappeared in phpMyAdmin!  Tables related to three websites in total Sad 

Vega
Rising Star

If there is anyway I can retrieve a backed up copy of my DB in whatever format, I am more than happy to restore it myself in phpMyAdmin. I normally get 500 visitors per day which has dropped to a fat 0 so this it is of paramount importance to me. 

jtonline
Grafter

@Vega wrote:

If there is anyway I can retrieve a backed up copy of my DB in whatever format, I am more than happy to restore it myself in phpMyAdmin...

If you have made a backup copy of the database yourself and saved it somewhere, then you can restore it from your own backup.  I used to use a program called Adminer to perform MySQL database backups, which I then saved to my PC, but then I  got lazy and stopped doing them (which of course I'm now regretting).

If you haven't got your own backup, it will be a case of waiting for Plusnet to investigate the issue further.  I don't know if Hostopia have simply moved some databases or whether the server needs a reboot or whether they've deleted some databases.  If it's the latter, then I'm hoping they have a backup they can restore from.

Vega
Rising Star

Thanks @jtonline  unfortunately, my last backup is two years old. Lesson learned Sad I'm at the mercy of Hostopia and Bob working his magic with them. Fingers crossed.

Thanks

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

It's clear something is amiss here given the number of people reporting problems. I have requested an incident is formally raised at our side (ref: IMT-3756), and I'm looking into it now...

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Vega
Rising Star

For info, my database is back and websites working as normal. As always @bobpullen , your help is greatly appreciated with these legacy hosting issues. :).

.... going to invest in creating my own db backup right now!

Matt

megapixel
Grafter

My website is up and running again. Many thanks to @bobpullen