Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to access Plusnet website

FIXED
seabasskarp
Dabbler

Re: Unable to access Plusnet website

This thread seems to be gaining popularity as Chrome is updated to the latest version, what a surprise.
IamJerry

I too suddenly can't access any part of the main Plusnet website including my Account using Chrome browser.

It beggars belief that after knowing about this for weeks Plusnet still haven't fixed it! 

seabasskarp
Dabbler

Yes, if only plusnet was given some kind of clue or warning that this might escalate as the Chrome update rolled out, perhaps they could have done something sooner to prevent a wider issue.

/Sarcasm
southerner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Surprised this is still an issue this morning.

Manually reconfiguring Chrome to allow what are now considered insecure connections or switching to another browser to gain access to the Plusnet billing system doesn't sound too good to me for 1 of telecoms giant BT's brands.

seabasskarp
Dabbler

It's been an issue for over a month my dude. Plusnet won't admit it's a configuration issue and instead claiming it's only affecting a 'handful' of users.

As i've already said I think this will come to a head shortly when everyone gets the latest version of chrome - suddenly they'll find that the browser with a 60% market share can no longer access their website to buy products. 

Batfrog
Rising Star

@seabasskarp It's been an issue for over a month my dude. Plusnet won't admit it's a configuration issue and instead claiming it's only affecting a 'handful' of users.

Yes but, the non-techy, which includes a dozen or so of my friends and acquaintances know nothing about this issue and if they did most people pay by direct debit so they probably wouldn’t worry too much as long as they have ‘internet’.

Given that PSTN is closing in two years time and the fact that Plusnet are not offering any kind of replacement along with the fact that they have already ditched mobile [ in a very hap-hazard way ] why bother to fix this ‘fault’?

In reality Plusnet, and some others, are only offering broadband and in my location at least that means FTTP. It will then be a simple matter to move customers to BT much as they have done [or tried] with mobile and EE.

I suspect that most will just roll over and pay up as long as everything keeps working! If you doubt that consider this; I currently have referals well over two years old who are [happliy?] paying out of contract prices that are way above what are being offered to new customers by Plusnet and others.

Anybody have any experience of Onestream ?

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@seabasskarp wrote:

It's been an issue for over a month my dude. Plusnet won't admit it's a configuration issue and instead claiming it's only affecting a 'handful' of users.

Eh? Where has anybody stated that it "isn't a configuration issue"? It *is* affecting a minority of users at the moment; analytics establishes as much. That isn't to say that I don't accept the situation is going to escalate if left unattended.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

seabasskarp
Dabbler

I guess what I mean by that, is that there are several posts on this thread that have pointed out that Chrome is rolling this change out but but there appears to be no effort from Plusnet to resolve the issue. The logical conclusion therefore is that they do not believe it to be an issue with their configuration. 

In case anyone missed it, here's a link to the change google are rolling out to Chrome... https://chromestatus.com/feature/4832850040324096 

You will notice this setting became a default in version 117 of Chrome, released early September.

Freedom

I will point out that we should NOT be encouraging users to change this client side as this weakens their security posture over the rest of the internet.

sstoddart

THANK YOU for sharing the solution to this maddening issue!!  I was having this access problem on all machines....  Not sure how the PlusNet tech team did not find the solution though... 

Thank you, once again 🙂

seabasskarp
Dabbler

Changing your Chrome security settings is NOT a solution!

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@seabasskarp wrote:

You will notice this setting became a default in version 117 of Chrome, released early September.

It's evident there's a rolling change being deployed (and it's started accelerating over recent days) but I'm not convinced it's tied to a specific version. I've been running 117 for a while now across mutliple machines/operating systems, and only today has it become a problem on my smartphone.

My desktop/chromebook continue to work fine.

I concur that changing the flag should only be considered a temporary workaround.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

dvvrue95
Grafter

Hi All,

yes so it seems I am now one of the "affected",

tried to access Plusnet via a link in my billing email from PN which failed. As did everything else aimed at PN web sites.

Found this thread and got lost for 30 minutes reading 6 pages, not good reading!

I use a Chromebook with current Chrome Version 116.0.5845.210 (Official Build) (64-bit).

Have used the TLS workaround as a temporary fix. 

Poor Bob is still trying to do the correct thing, just hope PN are behind you.

sstoddart

I agree... but with the absence of alternatives...

From what I have read, PlusNet are washing their hands of this.... difficult to see how they can be so dismissive...

DerekW
Rising Star

I am still unable to access parts of the Plusnet website, notably my account/billing area.

This really should be sorted out sooner rather than later.

"No one has ever become poor by giving" - Anne Frank