Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Subdomains and ccgi

Boxersoft
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Subdomains and ccgi

I've not done anything with my web space for ages. I'm now coming back to it, probably for the first time since the change to the new ccgi setup, and having a few teething problems. My DNS records are set to:

Left field Type Right field
mydomain.co.uk.a 84.92.1.4
wwwcname ccgi.plus.net.
mysub cname ccgi.plus.net.

The idea was to allow visitors to access my main site either as just mydomain.co.uk or www.mydomain.uk, and to redirect mysub.mydomain.co.uk to a subdirectory (using mod_rewrite in .htaccess) as a testing ground. I think it used to work previously but it's not working now. I assumed my mod_rewrites needed tweaking but it doesn't look like requests to anything other than the www subdomain are getting there at all (not even the plain domain name without the www).
Do I need to change something in the DNS settings?
7 REPLIES 7
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Subdomains and ccgi

Two problems:
1. The IP address of the server has changed following the migration. I've corrected the A record for you; allow 24 hours or so for DNS to catch up.
2. The new CGI platform has no knowledge of your two sub-domains so will refuse to serve pages for them. I've since added them, so this should now work as expected.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Boxersoft
Rising Star

OK, thanks. I'm surprised that it was working at all with the wrong IP address, but there you go.
Quote from: Bob
The new CGI platform has no knowledge of your two sub-domains

Is there a mechanism for customers to create subdomains themselves or is it something that has to be done for us (i.e. raise a ticket)?
The two existing subdomains seem to be working straight away for me, but the plain (non-www) address isn't. Can I expect that to start working after propagation of the correct IP address around the DNS servers or is that a separate issue?
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: Boxersoft
Is there a mechanism for customers to create subdomains themselves or is it something that has to be done for us (i.e. raise a ticket)?

Can only be done by a support agent.
Quote from: Boxersoft
The two existing subdomains seem to be working straight away for me, but the plain (non-www) address isn't. Can I expect that to start working after propagation of the correct IP address around the DNS servers...

Yes, it will work once DNS has had the chance to propagate.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Boxersoft
Rising Star

OK, thanks.
oliverb
Grafter

Any chance you could look at mine?
I would like to add a ccgi subdomain to  coaxialpower.com 
I've raised a ticket and had a response that it has been set up but its still returning "Not Authorized to View This Page [CFN #0004]".

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Should be sorted now.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

oliverb
Grafter