Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Static IP added but not activated

FIXED
jgpnet
Dabbler

Static IP added but not activated

Hi,

New Plusnet customer (at this address) since last week. Earlier this week, I enabled the Plusnet broadband firewall (set to low), and waited a few days. I wanted the firewall anyway, but the static IP address would have been a bonus, but not strictly needed. I noticed that the 'Force L2TP component' was added to my account, but despite multiple reconnects, I was still connecting through the PTA network (confirmed with gateway address in router showing as 172.16.x.x, and my IP address not changing from the 146.199.x.x address), and port-scans showed that the firewall was not working (my firewall still saw requests to port 135, 137 etc). Yesterday, I disabled the Plusnet broadband firewall, and notice that the 'Force L2TP component' has just been removed, but again, even after a PPP reset, there's been no change to my connection.

Out of interest, I tried to add the static IP to my account, and got a 'success' message, but my account still shows "Current Status: You are currently using a dynamic IP address", even though there is a service notice saying "Static Ip Component (one off payment)". A PPP reset still gives me the same 146.199.x.x PTA terminated address.

Could this please be looked into? Ideally, I wouldn't have needed to purchase the static IP option as I wanted the firewall set to low anyway (so would have got the static IP as a bonus), but to now purchase it and it not work is not ideal.

Thanks,

JG

3 REPLIES 3
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Static IP added but not activated

Fix

Thanks for your post @jgpnet and welcome to our Community Forums.

I'm really sorry to see you're having issues activating a static IP you've bought.

From what I can see it was stuck in the backend system and wasn't applied as properly automatically.

To fix I've removed and re-added the static IP add-on which has done the trick. Once you've rebooted your router your IP should be static moving forward. I've also added a £5 credit onto your next bill to cover the duplicate charge.

Let me know if you have any further issues. Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jgpnet
Dabbler

Many thanks Gandalf, this is now working as expected.

Cheers,

Jon

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Excellent! No problem Jon, let me know if there's anything else you'd need help with. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet