cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scams

Walter
Rising Star

Scams

I find lots of help articles on scam calls but no link to report 'a call'. I have lost nothing but time and inconvenience, I have blocked the number using 1571. Somewhere some body will be listing scan numbers. Where can I report a scam number? Are Plus Net interested?
18 REPLIES 18
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

Re: Scams

@Walter It is not possible, AFAIK, to report these home phone scam calls to Plusnet (or any other home phone provider), but I have found the easiest way to greatly reduce them is not to answer any unknown number unless you are expecting a call from one.

If a caller really wants to speak to you, they will (or should) leave a message.

John
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@Walter 

The problem wih scam callers is that they frequently use false caller ID numbers, which are constantly changed.

To stop these calls completely forget the 1571 system and buy a phone that incorporated a BT blocker, for example https://www.amazon.co.uk/BT-Advanced-Cordless-Nuisance-Answering-Black/dp/B0787KRDFT/ref=sr_1_18?cri.... These work in a different way and block all automated callers as used by scammers. I have had one for years and not one scam caller has got through in all that time.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

@jab1 wrote:

...easiest way to greatly reduce them is not to answer any unknown number unless you are expecting a call from one.

Certainly works for me - never felt the need for a blocking phone or system.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
greygit
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

"If a caller really wants to speak to you, they will (or should) leave a message."

That's slightly based on a presumption that there's an answer machine.

At times I have realised that cold-callers can be allocated a block of numbers, and you can block the whole lot in one go.

Other methods

Answer, but don't speak and leave the line open until the call is terminated. Sometimes misconfigured automated calling systems can leave the line open for a very long time. Like over an hour.

If there's a scammy real-world person at the other end then play them for the fools they are.

Ofcom will and do accept reports of scammy phone calls (or calls presenting a non-standard CLI or operators not adhering to accepted/defined standards/laws).

Ganeral rule: financial downturn = upturn in scams/cold-calls. And there are other factors that influence prevalences of scams.

I have (in the past) been known to pick up a cold-call, listen to the scammy (lie) line, terminate the call and then call the presented CLI number back. Only to listen to a rather different scammy line. And that would be on a number issued as part of a block of numbers. Hence some of my other observations.

Perhaps landlines are going to be extremely untrustable in the future.

jab1
Legend

(1) Most (emphasise 'most') people will have an answering facility - if not built into the phone, 1571 usually works.

(2) If you know what that 'block' is, and your phone is capable of blocking a range of numbers - not all are.

(3) Answering confirms your number is live and liable to be answered - not answering, in my experience means the scam artists, who work together, eventually realise they are wasting their time and eventually remove your number from the database.

(4) I've better things to do with my time.

(5) OFCOM may accept the reports, but will do SFA about them.

John
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

(6)  Mostly if you call the presented number back you'll find it doesn't even ring.

Walter
Rising Star

Thanks Jab1 I,ve blocked most calls but I don't have caller identification deadly.
Tags (1)
Walter
Rising Star

Thanks Baldrick1 I'll certainly look into that. After I installed 1571 I did have peace for a long time until I got a call from Telephone Preferences Agency who asked how I was getting on. I said very well you are my first unknown caller he checked my number probably my postcode then asked for my date of birth!! Well scammed!
jab1
Legend

@Walter That is a little unfortunate - why not?

@Walter wrote:
Thanks Jab1 I,ve blocked most calls but I don't have caller identification deadly.

John
Walter
Rising Star

I'll order the BT phone mentioned above and make certain CLI of included. Thanks for your comments
greygit
Rising Star

Technical point on (3). If the call connects (even if it isn't answered) then the number is 'live'. Gaming the scammers is more likely to have the number removed.

(2) Allocations of phone numbers can sometimes be located.

(4) I may have saved you some of your time.

(5) Sometimes they do. A small win is still a win.

(6) VoIP is not going to improve matters. It will likely make things worse. But, hey - I've only had it demonstrated to me (in a corporate environment) of a connection from Nigeria being presented with a UK number. And "Microsoft server support" generally do the same from India. I'd really like to know what BT's capabilities are (just from a purely technical viewpoint).

(1) CLI and a handset that logs unanswered calls. 1571 only presents the last unanswered number.

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@greygit wrote:

(6) VoIP is not going to improve matters. It will likely make things worse. But, hey - I've only had it demonstrated to me (in a corporate environment) of a connection from Nigeria being presented with a UK number. And "Microsoft server support" generally do the same from India. I'd really like to know what BT's capabilities are (just from a purely technical viewpoint).

Coming soon to a VoIP service near you ... ?

"One other way of tackling this issue would be a new telephone identification protocol, which can help operators to authenticate that all calls and text messages come from a real number. The Engineering Task Force (IETF) has been attempting to do this via their suit of STIR/SHAKEN protocols (i.e. STIR = Secure Telephony Identity Revisited / SHAKEN = Signature-based Handling of Asserted information using toKENs), but so far it’s been mostly focused upon the USA and Canada."

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2021/10/ofcom-tell-uk-phone-operators-to-block-foreign-voip-sc...

greygit
Rising Star

If it helps frame it from my perspective - that original demo for me was a bit over over 15 years ago. Good to know that identified problems have been picked up and worked on. Or perhaps it was better to ignore them and concentrate on cost reduction.

greygit
Rising Star

"(6)  Mostly if you call the presented number back you'll find it doesn't even ring."

If it is a UK number then that is definitely OFCOM territory. Presented numbers *have* to be callable.