Safeguard not working at all!

Warwick
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 29

Re: Safeguard not working at all!

Hi @phgannon

Thanks for your replies.

At this stage as I can see that @Optimatts has added you to the ongoing incident. As soon as their is any further update we will give you details on this thread.

phgannon
Dabbler

Hi @Warwick

Thanks for the update.

Interestingly I've also tried changing DNS settings locally on my laptop to see if I can provoke SG into working.

First off I changed the DNS for my wireless adapter on my Win 10 laptop [see attached screenshot "1 Changing Wireless Adapter DNS"] to the DNS mentioned by @Townman

I then opened a CMD window (running as admin), I first checked that DNS was set correctly, I then flushed the DNS, re-registered DNS and the displayed the cache just to make sure there wasn't anything it [see attached screenshot "2 DNS results"].

The net result of all this - not the blindest bit of difference. SG still not working. Unless I've missed a step perhaps.

Patrick

matias100

bless patrick you really have given this a good go!

Not to be too harsh on plusnet as they have been helpful  & A) acknowledged every message I have sent them regarding this & B) they have sent a new router out....but I cant understand how this can still be an issue FIVE months later.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Can you please try doing a nslookup and check that the specified DNS server is being used.

C:\Users\Kevin>nslookup
Default Server:  ZyXEL.Home
Address:  192.168.1.1

> google.co.uk
Server:  ZyXEL.Home
Address:  192.168.1.1

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    google.co.uk
Addresses:  2a00:1450:4009:800::2003

> exit

The bit in blue is the default lookup server, it should be that which you configured on the WiFi interface and the bit in read is what was used to perform the lookup.  If you know of a generic URL which SG blocks, that would be worth a try IF the SG IP address appears in nslookup .

HOWEVER thinking about this, if the DHCP is not dishing out the correct DNS settings, it is equally likely that the DNS server has no restriction settings for your account … so manually pointing to the SG DNS servers is not likely to achieve anything in terms of restricting access.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

JonoH
Hero
Fixes: 157

@matias100 wrote:

Not to be too harsh on plusnet as they have been helpful  & A) acknowledged every message I have sent them regarding this & B) they have sent a new router out....but I cant understand how this can still be an issue FIVE months later.

We understand your frustration, we had thought this was fixed for the majority but clearly that's not the case. 

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Grrrrr!!! This ridiculously short post edit time "really grinds my gears"!

The bit in blue is the default lookup server, it should be that which you configured on the WiFi interface and the bit in read is what was used to perform the lookup.

Should read...

The bit in blue is the default lookup server, it should be that which you configured on the WiFi interface and the bit in red is what was used to perform the lookup.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

phgannon
Dabbler

Hi @Townman 

First of all, thank you very much for sticking with me on this and all your input, I really appreciate it.

I've done the NSLookup - see attached results. If I'm interpreting those results correctly, it looks like it's working as it should be.

I think you're right about this bit...

@Townman wrote:

HOWEVER thinking about this, if the DHCP is not dishing out the correct DNS settings, it is equally likely that the DNS server has no restriction settings for your account … so manually pointing to the SG DNS servers is not likely to achieve anything in terms of restricting access.

Maybe the next step would to go out and buy a router that I could manually configure. That way I could manually set the DNS on the router to point to the right DNS servers to get SG working.

Patrick

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Stop: you’ve proved that having a router which allows manual setting of the DNS is not going to work for you by setting the DNS to PN’s safe guarding solution. Unless you are considering using some other parental control system, spending money on a new router will not move you forward.

phgannon
Dabbler

Yes, good point... glad you spotted that... it was a test!!

Seriously though, sorry, I wasn't quite thinking straight when I wrote my last post.

I was thinking last night of giving Open DNS a go to see if that'd work. I've looked into that and you need to update the DNS on the router to their DNS servers.

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.

phgannon
Dabbler

So today SG has started working!

Since my last post in June I'd just left it and not tinkered around with it all. And then, this morning, I just decided that I'll try it one more time and so all I did was to login to the portal and turn SG off and back on on again (resetting my router after each one) and now SG is working as expected.

Just thought I'd let you all know.

Dumbledore
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 34

Hello @phgannon

I am pleased to hear your Safeguard is now working and the issue has been resolved Smiley

Should you require any further assistance, please feel free to get back in touch with us.

Many thanks.

matias100

phgannon Thanks for the shout!

Ive tested mine and confirm its working again... ironically exactly one week after I decided enough was enough and set in motion a switch to another provider, with plusnet agreeing to wavier the termination fee (I only have a month left to be fair) as a goodwill gesture for the inconvenience of safegaurd not working.

Too little to late but good to know its finally working!

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@Dumbledore

Is it known what was changed please?

Dumbledore
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 34

Hello @Townman

I am unsure of the reason how the above steps have helped resolve the issue with Safeguard, but, I can find out and post it on the thread once we have further information.

Kind regards.

RoperNo1

Mine is working now. Didn't have to restart the router or change settings (SafeGuard was already set to on). Just posting so people know they don't necessarily need to switch router on and off etc.