Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Retain email address after leaving Plusnet

whitbycolin
Dabbler

Retain email address after leaving Plusnet

Good morning,

After years of receiving a poor service from Plusnet and the expensive costs I have made the decision to leave Plusnet as you are already aware. I can give you an example of why Plusnet is not worthy of my money, I pay you around £46 for just broadband and the telephone service something which I wish I had acted on in the last few years as it has been an expensive period given I have been with you for just over a decade.

I am switching to Sky who are going to charge me £52 for a potential broadband speed up to three times greater than I have put up with for years from Plusnet, the telephone and upgrade my television from the aging HD to Sky Q, with a home engineer visit to set it all up for me, I’m sure you will agree that it is an offer I would be foolish to turn down.

The reason I have taken to emailing you is that in the email I received from you and also in a letter I received from you, there is a clear statement that when leaving Plusnet I will lose certain privileges one of which is the Plusnet Webmail account. Having looked on the internet I have not found one ISP that terminates a customer’s email account when they leave an ISP and if this is true then it begs the question of what ill feeling you have when a thoroughly dissatisfied customer is forced to leave because of the problems that have plagued them!

A look on the internet highlights that the customer must request a downgrade to their mail before their account is closed and if this applies I would like to request the said downgrade and an explanation as to what a downgrade exists of.

I have been a loyal customer for a decade despite the problems with the service and would therefore have designated me worthy of help but sadly all I was told the same checks that existed when I joined. I barely had a speed greater than 7mpbs and it has got to a point where just streaming YouTube music videos was a hard task with constant buffering spoiling things.

I look forward to hearing from you as it is important for me to retain my Plusnet email for use during the transition and I have of course asked before my account has ceased to exist.

Kind regards

Mr. Colin Brittain

7 REPLIES 7
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: Retain email address after leaving Plusnet

@whitbycolin 

You have been reading old out of date posts regarding the retention of an email account after leaving.

This is no longer available. Once you leave your email account is deleted.

I would suggest that you open a free email account with the likes of Gmail and make sure that you transfer all emails that you wish to retain before transferring your Plusnet service to another provider. Alternatively of course you could transfer them to your home computer.

Such is the problem with using a tied IMAP email service. Fewer ISPs now offer an email service to new customers.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

whitbycolin
Dabbler

I'm not very pleased to be told this and it pretty much goes along with the feelings I have regarding Plusnet. The support from day one has always been found wanting and in part one of the reasons I am leaving.

Lately with the recent ongoing issues I asked for your best router, given how long I have put up with the constant poor service you have provided perhaps that might have helped resolve the problem.

However it clearly seemed to much for you to agree to. I estimate I have paid you in excess of £5000 since joining Plusnet and yet you couldn't meet my request!

If I'm reading outdated pages on YOUR forums then don't you think it would be prudent to remove them so that customers are not misled😤
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

@whitbycolin Moderators, such as @Baldrick1, are not Plusnet staff but volunteer customers.

Older forum posts about many things are still on the forum, the current position has been clearly stated.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Shep41
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 6

I think you will find that talktalk cancel your email when you leave them or they will keep your email service active for £5.00 per month.
whitbycolin
Dabbler

Thank you for pointing out " the current position has been clearly stated." It basically sucks that Plusnet is like this but then its expected I suppose as its pretty rubbish at everything else.

My time on here is limited as once my new far faster broadband is set up, I will no longer be paying out for such a [-Censored-] service and Plusnet can goo to hell!!

pint
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

If you have been thinking of leaving and keeping up with things , also known as research or looking before you leap you will know that email only accounts are a thing of the past - ie no longer offered , this loose you emial when moving situation isnt unique to plusnet.

There are also rumours of plusnet emails being discontinued for all customers soon as well.

So with all that in mind then if you have/were doing the right thing you will have been migrating away from the ISP email system and onto another system - ie gmail/outlook or your own domain.

whitbycolin
Dabbler

Clearly you have a chip on your shoulder to be eminent, as Plusnet is my ISP I would have expected more from them and therefore have no need to be "keeping up with things or have to do research" just to get a decent service. I think anyone who is considering staying with Plusnet with the possibility of a merge between BT and EE and the likelihood of curtailing Plusnet altogether are the ones who should be leaping.

I already have Gmail and use Outlook and have three hosted domains whilst keeping the Plusnet address set aside for a separate purpose. I faced advising those who use my Plusnet email NOT to use it as the service is defunct unless I remained with the expense and [-Censored-]e service offered by Plusnet, with so many acquaintances it would be a pain in the [-Censored-]. Sadly I now need too but given the new circumstances I am happy to!

So with all that in mind I have done the right thing for sure and I have migrated completely away from Plusnet, and I have seen my broadband speed go from a ridiculous 7mb up to 32mb in a heartbeat and regret not pulling the pin on Plusnet many many months ago!

Keep up the impressive work and your aspirations to be a Pro!