cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Firewall issue

DrSoCold

Re: Plusnet Firewall issue

Is there any progress on this adam?. My PlusNet firewall is stuck on High and I cannot change it. This is the error I get if I try to change the settings to Low or Off.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

We’re still investigating and due to the nature of the issue I can’t say when the problem will be fixed. I’ll chase this up with a colleague from our systems support team tomorrow to try to find out where we’re at. 

Really sorry for the inconvenience everybody. 

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
james33
Dabbler

That was 4 weeks ago!

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Appreciate the time it’s taking and I’m really sorry for the delay. Unfortunately it’s not as simple or straightforward to fix as we’d want it to be. I’m still chasing this up, I’ll aim to provide an update tomorrow. 

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Really sorry once again for the delay. I haven't got much to share unfortunately apart from we're still working on this, but due to the nature of the issue, it's not going to be quick. I'll endeavour to update as soon as I've got more I can share. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Prckmc
Hooked

Hi 

any update on this issue, I have just tried to make a firewall change and I am still getting the error

perhaps Plusnet could give us a bit more information as to what the issue is and why its taking so long ?

Thanks 

kissinuk
Grafter

I've heard nothing. Submitted an official complaint and got asked if I wanted help to cancel! No, I've been with you 20 years, I just want it fixed so I can connect to my VPN.

I used to run a dev team, there's no way we would get away with letting an issue like this go on for so long. It's not even mentioned on the service status page.

I'm going out an a limb and guessing it's due to new software for the FTTP rollout. If so then it begs the question as to why it wasn't tested.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for getting back to us @kissinuk

I do sincerely apologise for the time we're taking to fix this. While I appreciate you'd rather stick with us and we'd love for you to stay, I'm afraid at this stage the only thing we can offer you is to leave us for another provider. Sad

Unfortunately there's not much I can say apart from we've got this logged as an incident and it's under investigation. 

I'll as always update when I've got more information to share.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
james33
Dabbler

Thanks kissinuk for submitting an official complaint.  This firewall problem has been going on for more than 5 weeks with no resolution is sight! Not helping if you have to working from home without VPN.

james33
Dabbler

Is plusnet treating its customers with contempt?  A customer submitted an official complaint when he was unable to access his VPN for more than 5 weeks,  was invited  to leave.  Should they concentrate more on solving the problem.  He just wanted the firewall issue resolved and fixed (like all frustrated customers)!

akrypzs
Dabbler

It's all well and good suggesting move to another ISP, but I'm sure with 11 months left on my broadband contract then penalties would be incurred for leaving early.  Please confirm if the issue is an admissble reason to change without breaking the contract.

james33
Dabbler

I am no expert. But from what I have read (from Ofcom) once alerted to a problem isp have a reasonable time to fix the problem. I would argue that 5 weeks is reasonable period.

kissinuk
Grafter

@Gandalf thank you for the reply, appreciate it. Please can PN at least give us a little explanation as to what has happened? For example mine is set to "Off" but all ports are blocked - so have all customers had their firewalls set to "high" regardless of the setting chosen?

Is there any way for a PN employee to change an individual firewall setting on request?

Thanks in advance.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Caveat: I have no detail whatsoever regarding the cause of this problem (haven't been close to it), however...

If you have a static IP and don't mind losing it/being moved to dynamic, then I can imagine that will probably work around things if your aim is to disable the firewall entirely.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

james33
Dabbler

I am not sure whether this (swap static for dynamic ip)  would help in my situation. My firewall will be open initially to gain access to my home VPN. But if the dynamic ip changes access will be lost. I know I can use dynamic DNS to keep track of my ip.  Not keen on additional configuration which is proned to failure.