cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Norton Plusnet Protect Very Slow

chris301up
Dabbler

Norton Plusnet Protect Very Slow

Just updated to Norton Protect as advised but now laptop runs very, very slowly. Is there any way of going back to McAfee as it's of no use to me now

5 REPLIES 5
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

Re: Norton Plusnet Protect Very Slow

@chris301up Not as a 'free' option via Plusnet. Which Operating System are you using - Windows 10? If so, completely remove Norton and enable Windows Defender - that is perfectly OK for most home users, and is free.

John
chris301up
Dabbler

Hi John. Thanks for the advice. Yes I can use Windows Defender but, to be honest, I was perfectly happy with McAfee which was free with our subscription. I now remember trying to use Nortons Anti-Virus many years ago and had exactly the same issue. Never liked it too much due to it being extremely slow in use. I have just reverted back to Windows 10 from Windows 11, as I though it was the operating system at fault. But that's not the case I'm afraid. Thanks

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

Chris, I can't really comment on the performance of either those two programs as they are today, or what they do, as I'm a Linux user, and they are not compatible, but many years ago, as a Windows user back then, I tried both of them and found them intrusive and buggy, finally settling on AVG, and later Avast (the free versions of both).

I still have Avast on my back-up W7 machine, but even that now is resource-heavy and prone to false alarms, obviously in an attempt to make users pay for the 'Professional' version, which is equally resource heavy, but presumably doesn't raise so many false positives - hopefully.

As I said, ditch Norton and just use Windows Defender.

John
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Broadband to Everything Else

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
DOC1
Grafter

Its not letting me update to Norton for some reason i signed up via the download link in the addons section but i keep getting email back saying " 

Hi ,
Thank you for ordering from Norton.

We want to let you know that there is an issue with processing your order. You will receive an email confirmation with information about how to download your product when your order has been processed. We apologize for the delay.
Any idea why this is happening did you have any issue like this? Any help would be appreciated.