cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Static IP address seems to be blocked and PlusNet Helpdesk are unable to help!

FIXED
Champnet
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 12

Re: New Static IP address seems to be blocked and PlusNet Helpdesk are unable to help!

That's good.

Underneath, In the services box, click on Common Ports.

piphind
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Re: New Static IP address seems to be blocked and PlusNet Helpdesk are unable to help!

Using my mobile phone (not connected to WIFI), I get the same result when trying the Static IP as my colleague gets from his own home computer!

Thsi site can;t be reached. xxx.xxx.xx.xx took too long to respond. Try: Checking the connection. ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT.

piphind
Dabbler

Can't see a Services box !

Screenshot 2022-03-17 100046.jpg

Champnet
Aspiring Hero

Sure you're using the correct IP address ?

https://www.whatsmyip.org/ 

piphind
Dabbler

Yep!. IP Address matches what's shown in my router, my Plusnet account and what I get back from whatsmyip.

Champnet
Aspiring Hero

common.jpg

piphind
Dabbler

Screenshot 2022-03-17 101611.jpg

Champnet
Aspiring Hero

Looking at the tracert in your first post, is this from a device on your network as it goes through 15 hops, it should only show 1 hop as the start and end hops are the same. Reckon you need help from a Plusnet expert to look into it.  Hopefully someone will pick this up or one of the Mods could apply a little pressure……

piphind
Dabbler

The tracert was actually done by a friend from his own machine to test the connection!

Oh well. Thanks very much for trying. 

Champnet
Aspiring Hero

Did you check the security settings on the Synology box ?

piphind
Dabbler

I honestly don't think it's getting as far as the NAS!NAS_Sec_1.jpgNAS_Sec_2.jpgNAS_Sec_3.jpgNAS_Sec_5.jpgNAS_Sec_6.jpgNAS_Sec_8.jpgNAS_Sec_9.jpgNAS-Sec_4.jpg

Champnet
Aspiring Hero

On the account page temporarily untick the ‘enable auto block’ as you may be blocking everybody.

On the same page are there any entries in the allow/block list ?

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

I'm almost certain this is a local configuration problem i.e. an issue with the NAS or something (virtual or otherwise) sat in between it and the router.

The port forwarding configuration looks fine (assuming the device selected in the drop-down is indeed the NAS).

The Hub One will not respond to PING/ICMP traffic on the WAN interface, so traceroutes/pings timing out is a red herring and entirely expected. The traffic is reaching the hop before your network so it looks to be getting to you.

ShieldsUp/Canyouseeme etc. will only report success if the device on your network is both reachable *and* listening/responding to traffic on the relevant port/interface (which it needs to be)If the latter is not the case, then the port forward is irrelevant. It can be set up correctly and you'll still see failure when running these tests.

Also, a static IP is not a requisite for remote access. If you're unable to remotely access your server when assigned a dynamic IP either, then this is further evidence that the static IP is not the source of the problem. 

Like @Dan_the_Van - I have hosted webservers behind port 80 when using a Hub One in the past with no problems whatsoever.

Checking the Event Log under the Helpdesk section of the Hub Manager is a good suggestion.

@Champnet wrote:

I've worked with several routers that just won't allow connection to the external side from the local network.

Not an issue with the Hub One as it supports NAT loopback.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Champnet
Aspiring Hero

@bobpullen  Thanks for clearing up a few points, didn't think the Shields Up port scanner relied on ICMP requests.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@Champnet - it doesn't. It does require that the machine on the local network is actively listening to/responding to probes on a given port though.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵