Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New House - Bizare Wiring - Master Socket - Cant figure it out

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: New House - Bizare Wiring - Master Socket - Cant figure it out

Oh, so the previous tenants just cut the wire - just outside the photo? It doesn't go anywhere? Where does the BT cable enter the house?

John
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@bmc wrote:

As said previosuly we need to see behind the front plate.

@bmc wrote:

@Lukeuk 

When you remove both screws you should be able to ease the front plate off the box. It should only be plugged into what's known as the Test socket.

Whilst you can't see the rear of the faceplate (although apparently there's nothing connected to it), I think that's already been done, as shown in the photos @bmc  Wink

IDK if you noticed, but there are a series of photos at the link provided in the OP. 

jab1
Legend

@RobPN Thanks for that - I hadn't noticed there were more, and they prove that isn't the Master Socket, which the OP needs to locate before we can get any further.

John
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@jab1 wrote:

... and they prove that isn't the Master Socket, ...

I'm not sure of that @jab1 , it might be - someone could have bodged that cable to the incoming pair! 

jab1
Legend

They could have @RobPN , but if so, it needs regularising, sharpish.

John
Lukeuk
Hooked

Thats right, I can promise you there's no wiring to the faceplate although not shown in the pictures. I've walked throughout the property to look for another socket and there's isn't one. The socket is also right next to the front door. I've tried to get open reach out and they're refusing. It's illegal for an electrician to touch open reaches wiring and plusnet can only provide an engineer if we are continuing to use them so in the mean time we have bodge wiring... yay...
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@RobPN 

I also failed to notice there was series of photos. Apologies.

As mentioned, the OP should locate the incoming BT line on the outside of the house and then try and follow it through.

Secondly, if the OP has a corded phone he should try plugging that into the Test socket to see if there's a dial tone. If there is, he could try a Quiet Test (though for the life of me I can't find the number),

Brian

jab1
Legend

@bmc 17070 , option 2.😉

John
Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

17070 option 2

jab1
Legend

@Lukeuk wrote:
Thats right, I can promise you there's no wiring to the faceplate although not shown in the pictures. I've walked throughout the property to look for another socket and there's isn't one. The socket is also right next to the front door. I've tried to get open reach out and they're refusing. It's illegal for an electrician to touch open reaches wiring and plusnet can only provide an engineer if we are continuing to use them so in the mean time we have bodge wiring... yay...

I assume then, that is the master socket, but whoever put it in was either a very, very incompetent BT/OR engineer - or someone was messed around with it after it was installed.

John
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

@Lukeuk wrote:
The socket is also right next to the front door.

Which suggests that this is the master socket, fed underground directly.

In your second photo, wires can be seen at the back, which will be the incoming feed from the street.

With the faceplate on, the telephone plug would have inserted into the socket on the faceplate to feed another socket in the house, perhaps because the previous occupant didn't want to use the master by the front door.

If you can't see any other sockets in the house, maybe that cable will pull through - otherwise it can safely be cut off.

Have you tried a phone in the test socket?

Image1.jpg

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Hello @Lukeuk

Thanks a lot for reaching out. This all really depends on the line status at your new property. If the property has a working or stopped line registered there, then the orders to provision a service there will not include an engineer visit. So once the orders are complete, the only way to get an engineer out would be to raise a fault on the line.

If there's no line registered there though, ourselves or your new provider would place a New Line Installation order which would require an engineer visit anyway.

If you'd like, send me a PM with your new address and I'll get this looked into, I'm around until 18:30 today.

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

@Lukeuk 

From what I can make out from this picture this plug has 8 wires which makes it a RJ45, RJ11 only has 6. In most case with a RJ11 only four wires are connected

rj45.png

Assuming the landline enters the building behind the phone socket it is a relatively simple job to check what can be disconnected. By removing the cover from the wall you should hopefully see, you might be advised to run a sharp knife around the cover to break paint/wall paper between the cover and wall.

The incoming landline is terminated to A and B (left picture the screws). Spare wires are often curled up and left in the box.

NTE5a-0.png   or   NTE5a-1.png

So it is safe to remove any other wires from the NTE other than the landline ones, if there are two or more wires connected to A and B just leave the landline connected. If you need to cut any wires do one wire at a time, this will prevent any short circuits occurring which could damage Openreach equipment.

It could be the last owner bypassed the front plate by connecting the modem directly to the incoming landline as a ADSL/VDSL does not require a filter unless a landline phone is being used.

If you remove the cover and not sure what you are looking at post a picture.

Hope this helps

Dan.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@Lukeuk wrote:
The issue I have is, I want an open reach technician to come out before I move in to sort this but when you go onto open reach website it says you have to get your provider to contact them... the issue I have is currently I am with plusnet at my current address but they have removed the TV services they used to offer so any new address with the messed up master socket I probably wouldn't be staying with PN so the next cheapest provider for broadband and TV is virgin for me and virgin don't run on the openreach network so virgin wouldn't be able to contact open reach. I have no idea how to get open reach out.

This is now the crux of this issue. If you go to Virgin then this connection will be cut off at the BT end. So why not just cut off the extra wires at the master socket? Alternatively, if you are not happy with doing it yourself then why not ply the Virgin installer with tea and choccy biscuits and ask them to do it for you. If you ever want to go back to an ISP that uses the BT network then this was the state of the wiring when you moved in, which is absolutely true if you time your cutting before the removal men arrive.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'