Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving email to MS 365

FIXED
Curmudgeon
Dabbler

Moving email to MS 365

Me again 🙂

I am transferring my email from plusnet to Microsoft 365 but I don't seem to be able to access the site DNS records as it was registered originally with freenetname.  I need to add either a txt or MX record to verify that I own the domain. I can see others have needed assistance with similar transfers, can anyone point me in the right direction please?

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Re: Moving email to MS 365

Hey, I’m afraid our domain control system doesn’t support the addition of TXT records, and for a Madasafish domain, there’s no functionality built into the portal for you to be able to add custom MX records. Sad

Is there any other way they can verify your domain?

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

The OP doesn't need verification, but a permanent custom MX record.

I would imagine that will involve a domain name tranfer from yourselves to a third party who can manage the DNS?

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

They say they need to add either a TXT or MX record to verify their domain so they can transfer, unless I’m misunderstanding something.

Our domain control system for Madasafish accounts doesn’t allow for either of these sadly, so I’m wondering if there may be another way to verify.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

Even if there is another way to verify, the lack of ability to add TXT records will prevent @Curmudgeon configuring SPF and DKIM. Best option would be to transfer the domain.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Fix

@Alex wrote:

I would imagine that will involve a domain name tranfer from yourselves to a third party who can manage the DNS?

Correct. 

Ownership of the domain requires transferring to a registrar that allows modification of DNS records. Freenetname does not.

To do this requires the IPS Tag of the gaining domain provider.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Curmudgeon
Dabbler

Hi, sorry for slow response I was away for a while. I'll have to transfer the domain to someone else then. 

Thanks to all for your advice / assistance.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

No problem, private message me your username, domain name and IPSTAG when you've chosen one and we'll put it through. We may raise a ticket on your account you can reply to with confirmation before we do though.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet